Why become a member? ×

Wooten has no soul?!!!

Pete Academy

I can't believe the thread about Victor Wooten. He has no soul?! Have you seen the Bass Day 98 DVD? Have you listened to all of his albums? Or have you just watched the Youtube clips where he's 'shredding'? This kind of narrow-minded opinion seems typical of some of the members of this forum. This is a guy who was in a band supporting the likes of Curtis Mayfield when he was 6 years old. What were you doing at that age? Playing with toys, I imagine. He has the most awesome slap technique on the planet, so why not show it off once in a while? What do you want him to do at a trade show or clinic...play some rock and roll basslines?

Hey man, I might agree with you but it’s generally not a good idea to introduce yourself to a forum by making sweeping generalisations about its members. I’ve not read the other thread as I was fully expecting the usual comments about Wooten to regurgitate themselves and reappear as they usually do every 4 months or so, but could you not have verbalised your opinions in that thread? I don’t get the point of starting this thread just to moan about the members who are participating in the other thread…I don’t think you’re going to get many people congratulating you on starting such a worthy topic of discussion.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']I can't believe the thread about Victor Wooten. He has no soul?! Have you seen the Bass Day 98 DVD? Have you listened to all of his albums? Or have you just watched the Youtube clips where he's 'shredding'? This kind of narrow-minded opinion seems typical of some of the members of this forum. This is a guy who was in a band supporting the likes of Curtis Mayfield when he was 6 years old. What were you doing at that age? Playing with toys, I imagine. He has the most awesome slap technique on the planet, so why not show it off once in a while? What do you want him to do at a trade show or clinic...play some rock and roll basslines?[/quote]

No doubt about it, he is a genius. A great exponent of the bass guitar and what it is capable of producing in that genre. But he does tend to be a bit of a "one trick pony".

Problem is - like everything else - after a while your ears get tired of hearing the same thing. If he added more melodic lines instead of just the rhythmic approach, (like Manring, for example), it might help to elevate his status.

I have all of his albums BTW, and I must admit by the third or fourth track of each one, I have had enough. His music is not particularly strong IMO, but I do appreciate his talent and skill.

I suppose it is personal preference. But the slap style is wearing a bit thin.............and I didn't like Curtis Mayfield much either.

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='487222' date='May 13 2009, 08:26 PM']it’s generally not a good idea to introduce yourself to a forum by making sweeping generalisations about its members.[/quote]

How many posts do you need then? :rolleyes:
It still has same effect..
He has got you all at it again. :)

Garry

Pointless thread. If everyone liked the same thing the word would be a very different place.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']Have you seen the Bass Day 98 DVD?[/quote]
Nope

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']Have you listened to all of his albums?[/quote]
Nope

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']Or have you just watched the Youtube clips where he's 'shredding'?[/quote]
Not past the first few seconds

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']What were you doing at that age? Playing with toys, I imagine.[/quote]
I won a lego competition at my local toy shop - but I don't expect anyone to worship me for it

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']He has the most awesome slap technique on the planet, so why not show it off once in a while?[/quote]
Fine, but not everyone actualy enjoys listening to "thwakkatta thwakkatta thwakkatta thwakkatta" no matter how much skill goes into making such a sound.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']What do you want him to do at a trade show or clinic...play some rock and roll basslines?[/quote]
I couldn't give a toss 'cause I won't be there

I didn't post on the other thread, but I felt compelled to reply to this one. I must admit I don't really give Mr Wooten a second thought most of the time as what I've heard of his playing says nothing to me and I have no aspiration to play any of the kind of music he plays. I'm not at all into slap - I can understand some people are, but then again it takes all sorts.

I really don't care about Vic's playing. I'd rather watch/listen to Willie Dixon or Duck Dunn doing their thing.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='487235' date='May 13 2009, 08:38 PM']Fine, but not everyone actualy enjoys listening to "thwakkatta thwakkatta thwakkatta thwakkatta" no matter how much skill goes into making such a sound.[/quote]

Well, not for too long anyway.....+1 :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='487235' date='May 13 2009, 08:38 PM']Fine, but not everyone actualy enjoys listening to "thwakkatta thwakkatta thwakkatta thwakkatta" no matter how much skill goes into making such a sound.[/quote]

I never even knew that Wooten could do a helicopter impersonation! he's gone up in my estimation now. :)

I don't understand the comments about Wooten lacking soul either. Unfortunately,too many people only see the fancy slap chops-
which lets be honest,are awesome. If you look beyond that,you will hear a lot of musicality in his playing. OK,a couple of his solo albums are
patchy but there are some great melodies there-just watch his performance on the Drummers Collective anniversary DVD. His work with
the Flecktones is also full of melodic and rhythmic brilliance.
Also check out his playing with guys like Mike Stern and Chick Corea,or even India Arie-no way is he a one trick pony.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']I can't believe the thread about Victor Wooten. He has no soul?! Have you seen the Bass Day 98 DVD? Have you listened to all of his albums? Or have you just watched the Youtube clips where he's 'shredding'? This kind of narrow-minded opinion seems typical of some of the members of this forum. This is a guy who was in a band supporting the likes of Curtis Mayfield when he was 6 years old. What were you doing at that age? Playing with toys, I imagine. He has the most awesome slap technique on the planet, so why not show it off once in a while? What do you want him to do at a trade show or clinic...play some rock and roll basslines?[/quote]

Aged 6? Playing doctors and nurses. Whoopee!!

Remember, it`s a forum, we don`t all like the same players, we all have different opinions, that`s the beauty of it.

For me Pete Way from UFO is the one true bass God!!!

[attachment=25150:Picture_066.jpg]
God!

Jez

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']He has the most awesome slap technique on the planet, so why not show it off once in a while?[/quote]

Debatable, and the key point here being "once in a while" not every time he picks up a bass...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='487219' date='May 13 2009, 08:18 PM']What do you want him to do at a trade show or clinic...play some rock and roll basslines?[/quote]

Why not?

It'll show us a side of him we've never really seen and may earn him some more respect.

Personally I'd like to see him fry up an omelet.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='487365' date='May 13 2009, 10:20 PM']Why not?

It'll show us a side of him we've never really seen and may earn him some more respect.[/quote]

+1 versatility, rather than click clack pop at a million miles per hour.

"I say I say I say, my Victor Wooten has no soul"
"How does he smell?"
"TERRIBLE!"

(Before anyone starts foaming at the mouth I would just like to point out that Victor Wooten probably doesn't smell terrible, but the title of the thread did make me think of the old "My dogs got no nose" joke).

I thank you....... :)

[quote name='rslaing' post='487226' date='May 13 2009, 08:29 PM']I didn't like Curtis Mayfield much either.[/quote]

Get out of my house!

That's what I'd say if you were actually in my house. Which you're not. And I live in a flat anyway.

Carry on. :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='487393' date='May 13 2009, 10:39 PM']Get out of my house!

That's what I'd say if you were actually in my house. Which you're not. And I live in a flat anyway.

Carry on. :)[/quote]

Thats the last time I come to your flat...........

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='487235' date='May 13 2009, 08:38 PM']Pointless thread. If everyone liked the same thing the word would be a very different place.

Nope

Nope

Not past the first few seconds

I won a lego competition at my local toy shop - but I don't expect anyone to worship me for it

Fine, but not everyone actualy enjoys listening to "thwakkatta thwakkatta thwakkatta thwakkatta" no matter how much skill goes into making such a sound.

I couldn't give a toss 'cause I won't be there

I didn't post on the other thread, but I felt compelled to reply to this one. I must admit I don't really give Mr Wooten a second thought most of the time as what I've heard of his playing says nothing to me and I have no aspiration to play any of the kind of music he plays. I'm not at all into slap - I can understand some people are, but then again it takes all sorts.

I really don't care about Vic's playing. I'd rather watch/listen to Willie Dixon or Duck Dunn doing their thing.[/quote]

this post wins.

I quite like the bloke meself. but can't say hes a great songwriter.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='487235' date='May 13 2009, 09:38 PM']Pointless thread. If everyone liked the same thing the word would be a very different place.

I really don't care about Vic's playing. I'd rather watch/listen to Willie Dixon or Duck Dunn doing their thing.[/quote]
+1

I think that because the electric bass guitar has such sonic extremes, it can divide people as to what sounds good and bad. Soloists of strings, woodwind and piano, have hundreds of years of experimentation, leading to acceptance or refusal of their offerings.
Bass guitar soloists, are a relitively new genre, so as bassists ourselves, we are disscusing what we like and dislike, which is healthy and sometimes fun. :)

For the most part, I agree with the original poster. It's all too easy to criticise what we can't do ourselves, but at the end of the day, everyone's perfectly entitled to their own opinions as well.

For me, Victor Wooten is the absolute pinnacle of bass playing & the kind of player I (and no doubt many others) aspire to be. Not only is his very individual slap technique amazing, but his musicality on accompanying parts is astonishing. He's a great jazz fingerstyle solist & his two-handed-tapping arrangements are astounding as well.

Stanley Clarke summed it up in an interview with one of the bass magazines during the promo tour for SMV. He said, "Victor is just a marvel; he has the greatest facility I’ve ever seen on the electric bass. He’s a natural player and musician who has done a lot of studying, too." Praise indeed.

I've met Mr.Wooten, and not only is he a great musician, but a really nice guy. He sort of exudes peace and calm all around him. Bass God? Maybe!