Why become a member? ×

Mutes

YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='486522' date='May 13 2009, 12:07 AM']I was wondering how many players on here use string mutes or at least something shoved under the bridge,would be interested to hear peoples views on this.[/quote]

String mute at the nut but not the bridge.
Excellent for damping unused strings when tapping...Not so good for fingerstyle.

Rickenbackers and early Fenders have these, I'm sure someone here has one...Never been too sure what they are used for / sound like myself so I think I'll kick back and listen as well.

My fretless Stingray's got holders for them, but the mutes must've been removed by a previous owner. I've been thinking about finding some and adding them.

I've never had a bass with string mutes before though. And I'm genuinely a "bass player" so I've never tied a girlfriend's scrunchy around the top of the neck either.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='486544' date='May 13 2009, 01:01 AM']My fretless Stingray's got holders for them, but the mutes must've been removed by a previous owner. I've been thinking about finding some and adding them.

I've never had a bass with string mutes before though. And I'm genuinely a "bass player" so I've never tied a girlfriend's scrunchy around the top of the neck either.[/quote]

Works a treat in damping unwanted notes for tapping seriously...when using like a piano, would never do this much work for one string tapping.

Or if your one handed like Bill Clements you could use a sock! :)

Edited by Kongo

Im into a lot of sort of 60s 16th note groove and have tried a few types of foam i think a lot of those players from back then used mutes on the bass the bridge bells on the old fenders had them fitted,it does take a lot of the work out for fast 16th note runs.

[quote name='ARGH' post='486547' date='May 13 2009, 01:10 AM']Just be really aware of left/hand technique,and string muting isnt that much of a problem,Ive tried the scrunchie idea and didnt like it....
Sock under the bridge is a good thing though.[/quote]

Can be a bit tough keeping 6-strings from ringing out due to harmonics everytime you lift off a string.
Think playing a root, 5th, octave, maj 7th (10th) along 4-strings.
Left hand plays root and maj 7th (10th) and right hand plays the 5th and octave. Run that up and down and you'll soon get annoying harmonics ringing out, begging to be muted only to find you just muted it on a harmonic and set yet more off...ARGH! Indeed lol!

Too much energy and concentration lost.
Then add 2 more strings......I think the Michael Angelo string damper would be good on a bass...even though I dislike the player that mute is a great idea.

I use one sometimes, but mainly rely on my palm-muting technique. Hard obviously to get the pumping 16th thing down though.

Check out our band's cover of 'Head It Through the Grapevine', 'Signed Sealed Delivered', 'Live and Let Die' and 'Under Pressure' (www.myspace.com/bikergroove), all played on a Fender Jazz with rounds or a '67 Hofner Violin w/ flats respectively, with a foam mute.

When I was just a nipper I put a bit of foam under the strings in front of the bridge cos I'd seen John Deacon do that on an old concert video. Didn't like it though.

A few years ago I had a fretless stingray and the original mutes had disintegrated so I bought a Rickenbacker one and cut it into the pieces needed. It had double sided sticky on the back so it was dead easy to attach. I used them occasionally for certain songs.

I used a rather over engineered solution called the 'bassmute' - I can't get a link because the work computer blocks anything remotely useful. It was a sort of rocker switch which engaged individual foam mutes on each string which were independently adjustable. It was a really useful bit of kit, I would have one on my main bass if there was any room behind the bridge pickup!

Cheers
ped

Old PJ special, foam mute, fast notes; Raphael Saadiq - Sure Hope You Mean It (Later Live...with Jools Holland)

Crazy dancing and white Bullet Curly leads too :) I think you need smart trousers to use a foam muted P bass properly :rolleyes:

[quote name='Kongo' post='486549' date='May 13 2009, 01:16 AM']Can be a bit tough keeping 6-strings from ringing out due to harmonics everytime you lift off a string.
Think playing a root, 5th, octave, maj 7th (10th) along 4-strings.
Left hand plays root and maj 7th (10th) and right hand plays the 5th and octave. Run that up and down and you'll soon get annoying harmonics ringing out, begging to be muted only to find you just muted it on a harmonic and set yet more off...ARGH! Indeed lol!

Too much energy and concentration lost.
Then add 2 more strings......I think the Michael Angelo string damper would be good on a bass...even though I dislike the player that mute is a great idea.[/quote]
well I play 6s and dont have issues...The 9s a bit of an entertainment,but practice makes a learned one....

You just have to be aware of what strings you are NOT using....

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='486544' date='May 13 2009, 01:01 AM']My fretless Stingray's got holders for them, but the mutes must've been removed by a previous owner. I've been thinking about finding some and adding them.[/quote]

Assuming it's the rubber mutes that are missing rather than the mute mechanism (which they stopped installing in the factory before the bridge was redesigned... sharp parts and all that), mouse mats are your answer. You have to trim them to size, mind you...

[quote name='ped' post='486621' date='May 13 2009, 08:57 AM']I used a rather over engineered solution called the 'bassmute' - I can't get a link because the work computer blocks anything remotely useful. It was a sort of rocker switch which engaged individual foam mutes on each string which were independently adjustable. It was a really useful bit of kit, I would have one on my main bass if there was any room behind the bridge pickup!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

[url="http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html"]http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html[/url]

[quote name='dlloyd' post='486822' date='May 13 2009, 12:24 PM'][url="http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html"]http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html[/url][/quote]

Type of Bassmute Price in Euro ......
4 string chrome/black 100.50
4 string gold 115.40
5 string chrome/black 105.40
5 string gold 120.20
6 string chrome/black 110.20
6 string gold 125.10

hummmmmmm

[quote name='dlloyd' post='486819' date='May 13 2009, 12:23 PM']Assuming it's the rubber mutes that are missing rather than the mute mechanism (which they stopped installing in the factory before the bridge was redesigned... sharp parts and all that), mouse mats are your answer. You have to trim them to size, mind you...[/quote]

Ah. No. I don't have the springy bits, just the older-style bridge. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='486941' date='May 13 2009, 02:29 PM']Ah. No. I don't have the springy bits, just the older-style bridge. :)[/quote]

They stopped installing the springs in the mid 90s due to litigation risks (people were cutting their fingers on the springs).

They can be retrofitted, and EB sold kits for a while, but they're not so easy to get nowadays. They appear on ebay from time to time.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='486970' date='May 13 2009, 03:14 PM']They stopped installing the springs in the mid 90s due to litigation risks (people were cutting their fingers on the springs).

They can be retrofitted, and EB sold kits for a while, but they're not so easy to get nowadays. They appear on ebay from time to time.[/quote]

Yeah I keep looking but they seem to be quite rare. I suppose people don't often undo random parts of bass bridges and put them up for sale. Seems reasonable when you look at it that way...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='486987' date='May 13 2009, 03:31 PM']Yeah I keep looking but they seem to be quite rare. I suppose people don't often undo random parts of bass bridges and put them up for sale. Seems reasonable when you look at it that way...[/quote]

When I've seen them, it's been by chance, when I've been looking at buying a stingray.

If I were you, I'd do a saved search, so Ebay emails you when someone puts a kit up for sale.