Why become a member? ×

NBD - I know some BC members won't like it - but I do

Marc S

3 hours ago, AndyTheBassBison said:

very nice! I've had two longhorns (a korean blueburst and a chinese copperburst) and a black 56. Currently GASing for another Dano as I've never had flats on mine - only rounds and tapes

Yes, I'm thinking I may put flats on this one. It's a great sound as it is - but I think I can get it sounding and playing even better, with the right set of flats. That Blueburst one you had sounds nice.

• Like 1

Just now, Marc S said:

Yes, I'm thinking I may put flats on this one. It's a great sound as it is - but I think I can get it sounding and playing even better, with the right set of flats. That Blueburst one you had sounds nice.

Yeah, I think flats is the way to go. I loved having tapes on my 56 though. The blueburst was great but had a weird smell from the previous owner I couldn't seem to shift 😂. I actually thought the later Chinese model was better made after a proper setup including fretwork. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AndyTheBassBison said:

Yeah, I think flats is the way to go. I loved having tapes on my 56 though. The blueburst was great but had a weird smell from the previous owner I couldn't seem to shift 😂. I actually thought the later Chinese model was better made after a proper setup including fretwork. 

I haven't played one of the Korean models, so I can't make any comparison with mine, which is a Chinese made version. As I mentioned at the top of this thread, I like the fact that the truss rod is at the top of the neck on this one. From videos on YouTube, some earlier models had the truss at the heel of the neck - so you have to take the neck off to adjust it. Not sure where the truss rod adjuster is on the Korean models?

I may do something about the controls on mine though - those "teardrop" volume controls are a bit easy to accidentally catch, while you are tweaking the tone. Or perhaps I'll just get used to them.....

Took mine to an acoustic jam / rehearsal again last night, and it sounded absolutely lovely. Whichever style or band I play this bass in, it just seems to cut though, and sound awesome. Still really really happy with it :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

I haven't played one of the Korean models, so I can't make any comparison with mine, which is a Chinese made version. As I mentioned at the top of this thread, I like the fact that the truss rod is at the top of the neck on this one. From videos on YouTube, some earlier models had the truss at the heel of the neck - so you have to take the neck off to adjust it. Not sure where the truss rod adjuster is on the Korean models?

I may do something about the controls on mine though - those "teardrop" volume controls are a bit easy to accidentally catch, while you are tweaking the tone. Or perhaps I'll just get used to them.....

Took mine to an acoustic jam / rehearsal again last night, and it sounded absolutely lovely. Whichever style or band I play this bass in, it just seems to cut though, and sound awesome. Still really really happy with it :) 

My korean longhorn had the trussrod adjuster at the heel which required taking the neck off. My chinese one was definitely at the headstock end. I found the same with the controls - I generally had everything on full. Used mine in a function band and originals band for a while - was easy on the back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc S said:

Kiss of death, right there.  When you decide to move it on, let me know :D 

• Haha 2

Mine is an early Korean one from the late 90’s , and you have to remove the neck to do any truss rod adjustments. Fortunately the necks on the early Korean instruments are incredibly stable. Unlike most Fenders , they do not require seasonal truss rod adjustments. In the 24/25 years I’ve had mine I’ve only adjusted the truss rods twice. Once when I first bought it , and the second time was about three years ago. The only others I’ve seen that stable would be older Rics with the pre84 spring style rods. 

• Like 2

An old friend was living in Toronto , when he first heard Jerry Jones was making boutique Danelectros he immediately hopped on his bike and drove to Nashville.
Bought one.

He eventually sold it and has been kicking himself ever since. Jones retired , closed the shop , sold his tools. Danos by design were cheap instruments , a handmade boutique copy is pretty ironic. But I have to admit the Jones instruments that I’ve checked out were wonderful things.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

Nice! 

I've wanted a DC Danelectro bass for about as long as I can remember (thank you Fat Mike). They never seem to come up second hand 😞

Yeah me too - they’ve recently reissued them and they’re more or less the same thing I think, available in short scale also. Prices new are absolutely daft though. 

• Like 2

On 12/02/2024 at 17:41, Cliff Edge said:

Jerry Jones made excellent copies of the longhorns for several years, including the 6+baritone double neck. Sadly he sold up and moved on to something else. 

On 12/02/2024 at 23:32, msb said:

An old friend was living in Toronto , when he first heard Jerry Jones was making boutique Danelectros he immediately hopped on his bike and drove to Nashville.
Bought one.

He eventually sold it and has been kicking himself ever since. Jones retired , closed the shop , sold his tools. Danos by design were cheap instruments , a handmade boutique copy is pretty ironic. But I have to admit the Jones instruments that I’ve checked out were wonderful things.

I used to own one of these.

And indeed it was a high end "boutique" clone of the original Danelectro Longhorn bass.

Regret so much being stupid enough to sell it.

Probably the best bass I ever owned.

I both played and sounded amazing.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I'm hating this topic - soon everyone will know how great Danos are, and I want to keep it to a select few!

I've loved these things for years. Never had an original one (although nearly did once), but had a clutch of them

and they've all been great. Although not as historically accurate, I ended up keeping the late 90's Korean Pro

model in blueburst. Plays and sounds immense, and light as a feather. Just one vol / tone and a selector switch so

a bit easier to use than the pointer contols, but I generally just leave the switch in the centre position and

vol/tone full on. Am starting to trim down my stash of stuff due to impending semi-retirement but won't be

letting the Longhorn go.

Danos 003.JPG

Dano silver.jpg

Danos 002.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I ended up keeping the late 90's Korean Pro

model in blueburst.

No tape binding on the blueburst I notice. My pinkburst late 90's Korean is also devoid of tape, and has a serial number on the headstock. I've not seen another one without tape. Does yours have a serial number? 

IMG_1001.JPG

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

No tape binding on the blueburst I notice. My pinkburst late 90's Korean is also devoid of tape, and has a serial number on the headstock. I've not seen another one without tape. Does yours have a serial number? 

IMG_1001.JPG

Mine is 014836. I think all the ‘Pro’ models didn’t have the tape edging, and haven’t seen any 

standard Longhorns without it so yours may be unique?! 
At the time some people said the Pro series spoiled the Dano sound, but having had both I’m

not so sure. The wooden bridges and concentric controls probably do alter stuff, but it 

wasn’t that apparent with mine - both models sounded ace. The upgraded tuners on the

Pro, again whilst not vintage accurate, do make life easier, same as the bridge. 😊

• Like 2

Forgot to mention, there’s a tidy Korean turquoise Longhorn for sale on FB marketplace

The guy wants £365 for it which seems fair, seller is in Wiltshire. 
Whack Danelectro into the MP search box and you should find it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Forgot to mention, there’s a tidy Korean turquoise Longhorn for sale on FB marketplace

The guy wants £365 for it which seems fair, seller is in Wiltshire. 
Whack Danelectro into the MP search box and you should find it. 

Just searched for that - it still seems to be there. Nice colour. Looks in decent condition... but I'll stick with mine for now. Could make a great NBD for a basschat member? 😀 

24 minutes ago, JazzyJ said:

Haven't owned my Pro that long but it ain't going anywhere soon.IMG_20240210_184305.thumb.jpg.48ed1fc8bdf9bff7420675f4dfd77e15.jpg

Oooh - that looks rather lovely 😀 

Even better without the edge / binding tape.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this thread.

I'm always saying on here that a Longhorns looks are deceiving, it looks like a toy, but then you plug it in and are blown away, every time. 

Well, I was relearning some tunes using Amazon Music and random linked songs continue when your chosen one finishes. A song came on and I was instantly WOW, what a bass tone. 

Then I recalled the bass player was usually seen with a Longhorn, so I assume that's what's on the recording. 

Enjoy a huge grinding bass tone. 😎

• Like 1