Why become a member? ×

String recommendations

Robbo

Looking for some string recommendations for an Ibanez SR300, been on YouTube but it’s a tad overwhelming, don’t want to spend too much money because at the moment it’s just for home use only, looking for something that’s warm but bright, but not sure whether to buy nickel or steel, probably go for rounds as not sure whether flats would suit an Ibanez, what’s your thoughts any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I have SR900 and always used flats to good effect. Currently TI Jazz Flats, but they are a tad expensive so you may want something else. Unfortunately there are many to choose from, but I’m sure someone will be along shortly with alternatives. Good luck, you got a bargain. 

• Like 1

Nickel is warmer than steel.... but still has a nice zing. A basic set of Rotosounds, D'Addario XL's etc should do the job.

If you prefer the feel of flats then something like EB Cobalt flats may suit you as they are still quite bright.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

I have SR900 and always used flats to good effect. Currently TI Jazz Flats, but they are a tad expensive so you may want something else. Unfortunately there are many to choose from, but I’m sure someone will be along shortly with alternatives. Good luck, you got a bargain. 

Thank you 

15 minutes ago, cetera said:

Nickel is warmer than steel.... but still has a nice zing. A basic set of Rotosounds, D'Addario XL's etc should do the job.

If you prefer the feel of flats then something like EB Cobalt flats may suit you as they are still quite bright.

Thank you 

1 minute ago, christhammer666 said:

another shout for rb45s. decent set for a decent price. on a sr300 i either use 45-105 or if i tune down a bit i use 50-110

Yeah I will go for the 45-105 gauge but not sure what brand just yet but thanks again 

11 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I quite like the Rotosound RB45 as a budget nickel roundwound.  They feel good, nice tension and very reasonable at around £18 a set.

Sounds good thanks 

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

D'addario XL nickel rounds.  Good strings, good all rounders, available even in the tiniest of music shops trying to please everyone.

Was about to post the same thing. I have these on several basses and they always work well.

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

D'addario XL nickel rounds.  Good strings, good all rounders, available even in the tiniest of music shops trying to please everyone.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Elixir coated rounds, the steels are less zingy due to being coated, the nickels are nicely warm. For reference I used to put steels on Precisions, nickels on Jazzes.

Thanks 

23 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Still using Fender Nickel Plated Roundwounds as preferred brand 

Good tension and tone 

I tune down to Eb and they still sound and feel good 

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I use SIT Foundations for roundwounds. Great strings. 

Thanks and Vol4 one of my favourite Sabbath albums and one of if not all time favourite bands 

• Like 1

Very rough idea of the strings:

- flats have that short, flat sound, and they last and last...

- groundwounds/halfrounds are slightly sharper in sound, but still close to flats

- nickel is good for a fretless, too, and their response is more even than ->

- stainless steel (SS) has a sound that reminds the smiley eq curve when new, thin sets are for slapping twangmen

Material choices are only few (steel, coated steel, and polymers) despite marketing people tend to disagree. Gauges vary a lot, and may mean a lot in playability, as well as how the bass sounds and interacts.

11 minutes ago, itu said:

Very rough idea of the strings:

- flats have that short, flat sound, and they last and last...

- groundwounds/halfrounds are slightly sharper in sound, but still close to flats

- nickel is good for a fretless, too, and their response is more even than ->

- stainless steel (SS) has a sound that reminds the smiley eq curve when new, thin sets are for slapping twangmen

Material choices are only few (steel, coated steel, and polymers) despite marketing people tend to disagree. Gauges vary a lot, and may mean a lot in playability, as well as how the bass sounds and interacts.

Thanks