Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

44 minutes ago, neepheid said:

What shiny object caused your downfall?

Nothing hugely exciting, but something that I've always liked the look of and is in need of a little love. 

An american S D Curlee. Until it's in my hands I don't know how old but judging by the bridge it's a 76/77.

All original apart a possibly painted body, which might be original, with Grover tuners and Dimarzio pickup, in a hard case for £150, I couldn't help it! 

As said earlier, @Velarian very kindly offered to collect it and package for a courier to help me out, which he did this morning and is hugely appreciated.

Screenshot_20240204_151731_Facebook.thumb.jpg.e0b9d6c047b1a08bb941463dabee638d.jpg

Edited by Maude
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, 2pods said:

Unfortunately, I'm back in (I hope ?) after having to return said TE switch pedal for being faulty :sad:

Aw no, that's a bummer!  Yeah, unless anyone has any objection/reason why not then I'll reinstate you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

As for the bridge example, that's a really roundabout way of telling us you've bought a bridge... ;)

Of course, if it's London Bridge,  and you bought it off a geezer in Limehouse, then you're still in. An epic fail in real life,but not by these rules. 😉

• Haha 3

I have posted a very belated NBD thread. The bass was purchased and received in 2023, initially put together then, but I decided to use bolts and inserts rather than screws for the neck joint, and the preamp was seriously defective, so those bits were purchased this year. The replacement preamp was an Artec SE3, so not a big upgrade from the average Chinese anonymous preamp. I think I'm still just about in unless there's any objections. I thought I'd better disclose all this in the interest of transparency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I have posted a very belated NBD thread. The bass was purchased and received in 2023, initially put together then, but I decided to use bolts and inserts rather than screws for the neck joint, and the preamp was seriously defective, so those bits were purchased this year. The replacement preamp was an Artec SE3, so not a big upgrade from the average Chinese anonymous preamp. I think I'm still just about in unless there's any objections. I thought I'd better disclose all this in the interest of transparency.

That seems like a fair attempt at "like-for-like" replacement of a defective item IMO.  It's an OK from me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Well despite Fair Deal Music in Birmingham having pretty much the exact spec Sandberg Lionel I would want I am still in. I plan on remaining “in” too…. We’ll see 😅

I used to work in Brindley Place. Fair Deal Music was an easy lunchtime walk for a bunch of us to see what they had. I think I only ever bought strings there, but they were very happy for three blokes to just turn up and play basses for half an hour then go back to work.

Hobgoblin was another target,  but their instruments all had ridiculous numbers of strings.  😁

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Well despite Fair Deal Music in Birmingham having pretty much the exact spec Sandberg Lionel I would want I am still in. I plan on remaining “in” too…. We’ll see 😅

Their old premises on Smallbrook Queensway are to be demolished - I bought a Variax 300 from there 19 years ago. I still have it, in fact.

Well, just as well I'm aff it - fridge packed in at the end of last week.  That's taken care of £350 which could have been spent on a bass.  Hard to get excited about the imminent arrival of a fridge though.  It's... a fridge, woo.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, 2pods said:

EZPlayer

Not bass gear as such, but I can play along with it.

They also have EZBass.

It's the same crowd that do EZ Drummer 3, and Superior Drummer 3.5

I don't think this counts.  Doesn't smell like bass gear to me.  Barely counts as gear at all IMO, but you can say a Tier 2 fail if you want to keep your conscience squeaky clean.  Anyone else agree?

Sorry, but I think you're going to have to try harder to fail than this.  Your last attempt was better :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, neepheid said:

Well, just as well I'm aff it - fridge packed in at the end of last week.  That's taken care of £350 which could have been spent on a bass.  Hard to get excited about the imminent arrival of a fridge though.  It's... a fridge, woo.

Gibson Fridge eh? I'm onto your lies.

• Haha 2