Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

I successfully completed the 2023 thread, but have every intention of falling off the wagon this year. Perhaps as early as tomorrow. So I’m out.  

Having got through 2023, I would like to pass on my top tip though before I forget it.  Hopefully you’ll all appreciate the advice and it will help you in 2024: don’t buy anything that isn’t allowed 😁.

Good luck all.

3 minutes ago, Simon C said:

I successfully completed the 2023 thread, but have every intention of falling off the wagon this year. Perhaps as early as tomorrow. So I’m out.  

Having got through 2023, I would like to pass on my top tip though before I forget it.  Hopefully you’ll all appreciate the advice and it will help you in 2024: don’t buy anything that isn’t allowed 😁.

Good luck all.

That's OK - multiple years is a hell of an ask.  I made it to the end of 2022, but last year the gear came back with a vengeance - sometimes utter whim, sometimes necessary (amp failure) but I didn't replace like for like so I'd have been out.  Back on the wagon this year though, fingers crossed.  It's the quality of low priced gear I find tough to ignore - last year I picked up two basses which cost £200-250 and they were both surprisingly good for the money.  If this trend continues then I might fall off the wagon with a weak "what the hell?" moment!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Possibly going to sell a bass to fund a custom replacement. Is one-in one-out an exception?

Have you already paid for the custom bass? Or, was it ordered last year and you have paid a deposit with a balance to pay on completion?

9 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Have you already paid for the custom bass? Or, was it ordered last year and you have paid a deposit with a balance to pay on completion?

Er, I've been thinking about it since last year? 😊

• Haha 1

I'm just disappointed, saddened and disappointed, to find that not one Basschatter is having a New Year down-sizing involving selling a Barefaced Big Twin at a knock-down price, preferably within 50 miles of Harrow.

I don't feel as if I'm asking too much ...

• Haha 4

Just now, MacDaddy said:

Er, I've been thinking about it since last year? 😊

Ah well in that case I reckon you'd be out. You can sell as many basses as you like but the acquisition of any gear coming back in I fear adds up to disqualification.

• Sad 1

Go on, count me in. Although the last two years have been spectacular failures 😂

I have enquired about a bass but as stock isn't expected before April 2025 and the money won't be taken until it's in then I assume that won't count if I do decide to order? 

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Go on, count me in. Although the last two years have been spectacular failures 😂

I have enquired about a bass but as stock isn't expected before April 2025 and the money won't be taken until it's in then I assume that won't count if I do decide to order? 

I think it's when money first changes hands dictates whether or not it counts as this year's intake.  If you have to put a deposit down to secure it then I'd say that's an out - people use the same argument to justify things ordered the previous year but won't arrive until the current year...

If you can pre-order it for free then I don't think it counts.

5 minutes ago, Paul S said:

How about having a new bridge fitted - does that count?

Have you already bought the bridge?

If no, are you replacing a defective (and that doesn't mean "I don't like it") bridge?

Neeps,

I have as much chance of completing this as a snawba' in Hell. If I stop buying basses, I couldn't live with the thought of all the retail staff I'd put on the Broo.

To all masochists and saints out there - best of luck and 'no gain = pain'. 🤭

• Haha 1

Just now, neepheid said:

Have you already bought the bridge?

If no, are you replacing a defective (and that doesn't mean "I don't like it") bridge?

Hmm.  Already bnought it.  It is to replace an old '70s MIJ 2 point bridge which is, arguably, intrinsically defective.  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

I think it's when money first changes hands dictates whether or not it counts as this year's intake.  If you have to put a deposit down to secure it then I'd say that's an out - people use the same argument to justify things ordered the previous year but won't arrive until the current year...

If you can pre-order it for free then I don't think it counts.

If a card or PayPal is used then nothing is taken until they have it in stock. Once in stock they take the money and send it. 

I'm probably not going to order anyway as (for me) it's obscenely expensive... But if I sell some stuff 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Did you buy it today?

Nope.  Last week, so last year.  But, for full disclosure - I am handing it over to someone else to fit and have yet to pay him...

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm waiting for a dentist's appointment meself ...

Got more chance of getting some improved intonation on my premolars than I have with this 70s 2 point bridge, that's for sure.

• Haha 3

Just now, Paul S said:

Nope.  Last week, so last year.  But, for full disclosure - I am handing it over to someone else to fit and have yet to pay him...

Ahh, I see what you're driving at now.  Services aren't gear as far as I'm concerned - it's a pass from me.

Just now, neepheid said:

Ahh, I see what you're driving at now.  Services aren't gear as far as I'm concerned - it's a pass from me.

Marvellous.  Onwards to the second hurdle!  :D