Why become a member? ×

Cheapskate scrapwood pedalboard

neepheid

Awesome, the bag I ordered from China (last year - 29th December) which should fit this pretty nicely has arrived on UK soil and hopefully will be with me soon.

Pedalboard will get its first proper outing on Wednesday (band rehearsal) then proper live outing on Saturday ('Spoons gig).  I probably won't have the back cover on it by then (unless Thursday is as "warm" as the forecast suggests so I can spray some lacquer), but it's perfectly useable as is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neepheid said:

..some paper straws keeping it up...

Ha!.. lolly sticks and elastic bands... 

That looks a proper custom job... you should be proud having that grace the stage... side hustle right there...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Ha!.. lolly sticks and elastic bands... 

That looks a proper custom job... you should be proud having that grace the stage... side hustle right there...

Thanks, I do chuckle a little when I look at it, it really does look better than I expected it to.

RE: side hustle - I'd need to change my branding a little, lest Moog/inMusic's lawyers get heavy...

On 28/12/2023 at 20:43, neepheid said:

...Used a scrap piece of wood as a guide and got sawing...

02pedalboardangledside1.thumb.jpg.f165697e5cda6d789ed9270a6dc6e6b7.jpg

Then I used the cut piece as a guide to cut a copy...

03pedalboardangledside2.thumb.jpg.ea429f46b80b26b28a5ab4fc3c6e84d7.jpg

...If ya measured - instead of rushing to the tool shed and started sawing at her, banging away, all half cocked... - the off-cut half would of been the same...

Let that be a lesson when ya get the Wood Urge

🙂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

...If ya measured - instead of rushing to the tool shed and started sawing at her, banging away, all half cocked... - the off-cut half would of been the same...

Let that be a lesson when ya get the Wood Urge

🙂

Eh, the whole thing is a bunch of guesswork and happy accidents - why is it 420mm wide?  Because my top bit of wood had a drill hole in it there...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

That's going to look good on any stage.

Hope so, going to put it to the test tonight - The Inevitable Teaspoons are playing at Krakatoa in Aberdeen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as the owner/builder of a board that could be described as, what was it, "hard to distinguish from a pallet"? :lol: that looks fabulous. I saw one on farcebook that someone had made from some really exotic woods, and TBH this looks just as good.

Edited by Rich
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Speaking as the owner/builder of a board that could be described as, what was it, "hard to distinguish from a pallet"? :lol: that looks fabulous. I saw one on farcebook that someone had made from some really exotic woods, and TBH this looks just as good.

Thank you for those kind words.  And don't do yourself down - my hat's off to anyone who gets off their butt and heads to the shed instead of just buying something.

Fair play to anyone using funcy wood to make theirs, but I was just using the wood I found lying around - it's a shelf on the floor, innit?  Also it'll mostly be covered by pedals.  I wasn't really thinking about aesthetics when I put it together, but the lacquer has made the pine look quite nice and the back panel stuff was just icing on the cake in a fit of "why not?"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I have just caught up with this. It looks fab!

If you wanted to go a step too far, then cutting parts of  the neep logo all the way through the wood would let out the red light from the psu LED. 

Cheers!

Ha, it's a thought, but I think I'll leave it there and agree that it'd be a step too far.  The woodburning came out really well, way better than I thought, I'm happy with it as is.

On 02/01/2024 at 16:31, neepheid said:

Oh, sorry, NE Scotland colloquialism/dialect.  A "rake" means a "rummage" or "look around for something".

"Can I borrow your compressor pedal?"

"Ach, I'm nae sure far I pit it, I'll hae a rake and let you know"

Google translate said “huh?” So thanks for the clarification 

On 08/01/2024 at 10:14, neepheid said:

Awesome, the bag I ordered from China (last year - 29th December) which should fit this pretty nicely has arrived on UK soil and hopefully will be with me soon.

Pedalboard will get its first proper outing on Wednesday (band rehearsal) then proper live outing on Saturday ('Spoons gig).  I probably won't have the back cover on it by then (unless Thursday is as "warm" as the forecast suggests so I can spray some lacquer), but it's perfectly useable as is.

That looks f ckuing amazing … big thumbs up @neepheid

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Design revision required - turns out my velcro is great at keeping pedals in place when gravity is working with it, not so much in the opposite direction.  It was actually the adhesive that failed, not the velcro itself.  Bugger.  So a more permanent way of attaching the PSU is required. 

I could replace the tape with... better tape like 3M Dual Lock but I figured in keeping with the whole "make do and mend" approach I'd find a way to mechanically couple the PSU to the board.  Someone on here, I'm sure it was put up a picture of using bike chain links as brackets to attach pedals to boards.  As luck would have it, I had a small length of bike chain lying around so I spent a satisfying 20 mins or so bashing the rivets out of the chain.

Thanks to T-Rex putting all the screws on the side and none on the bottom, I had to bend the links to make right angle brackets.  This is when I found out that the outer links are too brittle to be bent, but the inner ones are fine?  Anyway, some hammering and bending round the vice gave me this:

1709583574777.jpg.b28684bdddab8b9477b799d6d34dca0f.jpg 1709583574767.jpg.76f5a9fabc2ea2f033f33747a02ec445.jpg

Now, just need to find some screws small enough to get in those wee holes.  Maybe tuner screws, maybe pickguard screws.  Time for a rummage in the spares boxes!

• Like 7

Right, that's not going anywhere fast!

41psusecured1.thumb.jpg.89fa817eac7be09bf8cb6dd318c71ed5.jpg 42psusecured2.thumb.jpg.8c1ef6a68d56133e70c879ee9923124a.jpg

And I think that will genuinely be it now.  Thanks to whoever it was who surfaced the idea of using bike chain links to secure pedals to boards!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rwillett said:

If you need any plastic right angled stuff printed to avoid bashing metal, let me know. 

Thanks!  Have to say though, after a Monday at work, bashing the rivets out of the chain with hammer and punch was very satisfying indeed :D

After this, I put up a picture for Mrs. Neepheid.  When you get on a run of practical stuff and the tools are out already...