• Nail Soup
    • MoonBassAlpha
    • SH73
    • upside downer
    • Lurksalot
    • Skankdelvar
    • breadbin

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/24 at 00:01

Happy Christmas one and all, It's official, it's time to have a listen to the Basschat collective offering for the annual cover song challenge.

Some of these have been recorded during the year and some have been recorded for the challenge, but they are all just a celebration for the end of term

Normal voting rules apply, choose your favourite 3, and the winner gets the kudos of printing one of Douglas's iconic certificates. 

image.png.5ee3a9587a1f29b3d87c7786b5345bef.png

@sammybee   My effort is a cover of Tom Misch's - It Runs Through Me recorded by my daughter and I earlier this year

this is a Temporary link to the challenge thread I will update in due course

@Dad3353  As it's all we have from this past year, here's a medley of 'punter's' videos, taken at our rare outing,

3 @AndyTravis     It DOES have to be a Christmas track 😂

@ezbass  A recorded rehearsal with my band from earlier this year. A rough recording, even more roughly mastered in GarageBand (I don't know what I'm doing really).

@Leonard Smalls    

For the cover challenge I thought I'd do a completely original song wot is all my own work. Any similarity to the Sylvester disco classic with a very similar name is purely co-incidental! This also features my wife on backing vox!

6 @Nail Soup  This is a song I've been meaning to cover for a couple of years now, but never found an approach I've been happy with - until now

7 @MoonBassAlpha  I've chosen the Kula Shaker tune Start All Over from their "K" album, as it's got a Beatles - like vibe, and I thought my friend Rob would enjoy singing it (massive Beatles fan)
With invaluable input from Phil Beavis (organ) and Paul Ibbott (Horn section), the guitar, bass, backing vocals and drums are me. Tried to keep this fairly close to the original this time, subject to my own limitations!

@SH73  I decided to cover the Blade Runner 1982 soundtrack the end song that has been used as an intro on Somewhere on Tour in 86 and The Future Past Tour in 2023

@upside downer   I've recorded a version of the Pink Panther theme using the arrangement that the superb Russian surf-pop band Messer Chups use on their track Pink Pantheratu

10  Lurksalot    I got Lurksalittle to help out on this one 

11  @skankdelvar  What ho! It's an old Joe Jackson song that's got nowt to do with Christmas and featuring Mr Gordon Gecko.

12  @BreadBin     late entry 

A great way to end the recording year , I've really enjoyed it and look forward to doing it all again next year.

3 votes each, voting will finish at midnight on the last day of the year.

Cheers , Salut , Nostrovia  and Slainte Mhath 

image.png.4181d20838e8dfb732010de99d5b3f51.png

Edited by lurksalot
  • Thanks 3

A bit of background about my entry. Recorded by my band Aimless Arrows in our luxury headquarters somewhere in West Wilts (ok, its a shed but its a posh shed)

A cover of a Bob Dylan classic, our lead singer Simon arrived at practice - announced that he had learned it and that we should record it for fun. I didn't know the song but quickly cobbled together a bass part based off the chord structure and vocal melody. We laid that down pretty much straight away and that is what you hear now, this was the 3rd take iirc.

As you can hear there are many vocal parts, also some festive sleigh bells! Vintage piano and sax (and drums) were programmed by Jeremy our lead guitar player and studio master.

Edited by BreadBin

And the winner is...

@skankdelvar..!

zZToY75.gif

Here, then, is your Winner's Certificate (download and save as pdf file, then proudly print and frame...) ...

BC_Chal_Cert_2023_12.pdf

... which looks like this (but bigger, of course..!)...

2ZXA05l.png

... and a Happy New Year to one and all. :rWNVV2D:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1