Why become a member? ×

New Kemper Player Pedal!

bassace97

17 hours ago, bassace97 said:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/products/uk/profiler-player.html

Curious how this stacks up against the HX Stomp/XL. Not a bad price at £499 either.

Is it primarily geared at providing amp/cab sims though? Ie does it offer a full range of editable fx in the way that Helix Stomp and GT1000 Core do? If not we're not comparing like for like.

There's mention of a "well-curated selection of 136 different FX settings taken from the legendary KEMPER PROFILER FX arsenal that features over 444 FX presets in total" which sounds promising, but no indication of what's available in the that selection.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is it primarily geared at providing amp/cab sims though? Ie does it offer a full range of editable fx in the way that Helix Stomp and GT1000 Core do? If not we're not comparing like for like.

There's mention of a "well-curated selection of 136 different FX settings taken from the legendary KEMPER PROFILER FX arsenal that features over 444 FX presets in total" which sounds promising, but no indication of what's available in the that selection.

Having owned the Profiler 'Toaster' the blurb seems to indicate that this has all of those facilities/rigs etc available and editable via rig manager on your phone/laptop/PC that it has, in which case yes it has a full range of editable FX; it has the usual phasers, octavers, reverbs, ODs, filters etc etc

• Like 2

Have been doing a bit of snooping around. Seems quite a well thought out unit. And removing the screen is actually quite a smart move as that is the bit that is going to get broken at a gig when something falls on it.

I would imagine there’s loads of folk who are used to carrying the toaster/rack plus pedalboard and analogue pedalboard rejoicing at this.

Not sure what is happening in Kemper world though. They seem to have lost a bit of favour of late… but let’s see how things play out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Having owned the Profiler 'Toaster' the blurb seems to indicate that this has all of those facilities/rigs etc available and editable via rig manager on your phone/laptop/PC that it has, in which case yes it has a full range of editable FX; it has the usual phasers, octavers, reverbs, ODs, filters etc etc

Can I ask how were those fx? I’m far more interested in the modelled rig/box of tone but some usable fx here and there is always a nice addition 

• Like 1

Just now, tayste_2000 said:

Can I ask how were those fx? I’m far more interested in the modelled rig/box of tone but some usable fx here and there is always a nice addition 

For many years I've used BOSS Chorus + Octave pedals, with an EHX Small Stone; latterly using a TC Plethora X5 and the effects were as good as any of these.  I'm fairly sure some/many of the effects available on Kemper products are modelled (copied) off known brands.  I'm assuming that the interface/rig manager will be the same as on the 'toaster' and you can go in and tweak stuff.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 18:37, bassace97 said:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/products/uk/profiler-player.html

Curious how this stacks up against the HX Stomp/XL. Not a bad price at £499 either.

Also very interested in this. That price on their shop appears to exclude VAT and Customs - Andertons quoting £619 and stock from 29/12. Even so, looks a great option with XLR and the Kemper suite of effects.

• Like 1

Nice.

If I'm understanding 'upto four effects modules (two pre amp and two post)' correctly it's got nothing on things like the Boss GT 1000 Core with 3x parallel paths and about 27 effect blocks as far as long/complex effect chains go. 

I don't suppose it's really designed to compete over numbers of effects blocks though. I expect the Kempler is the one to go for if you are mostly after amp/cab sims and the DI stuff. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My player arrived this week. I’ve used a variety of modellers and so far this one is pretty decent. I never used the profiling on my QC so this is a new thing. 

but the sounds are insanely good. Looking forward to using it with my band. Just need to sort outputs. We tend to play a venue who insist on using a mic’d bass cab, so I’d need to kill the cab on that output, but use another output with the cab enabled for my IEMs. 

I don’t mind the lack of screen as it will be in my rack controlled by midi. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tayste_2000 said:

Are you able to confirm if you can connect your phone to it and play songs via bluetooth to play along with? I didn’t want to ask in the guitar forums for fear of looking lonely with no one to play with.

It seems so, I’ve not tested that yet. 

• Like 1

On 12/01/2024 at 22:20, tayste_2000 said:

Are you able to confirm if you can connect your phone to it and play songs via bluetooth to play along with? I didn’t want to ask in the guitar forums for fear of looking lonely with no one to play with.

Mine arrived two days ago. Yes - works pretty well either with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (or both!). Separate volume controls for rig, aux and master. Created its own hot spot. Overwhelming number of profiles available, many of the guitar ones sounding amazing right out of the box. Still trying to find the perfect bass tone but already found a great Super Bassman profile (I get misty-eyed thinking of the one I used to own). Effects are - well - ok but not stellar. Combo button function not working and pending an update of firmware apparently. This means only one effect linked to a foot switch in practice. Need to test usb midi next. Very good build quality.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tripehound said:

Mine arrived two days ago. Yes - works pretty well either with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (or both!). Separate volume controls for rig, aux and master. Created its own hot spot. Overwhelming number of profiles available, many of the guitar ones sounding amazing right out of the box. Still trying to find the perfect bass tone but already found a great Super Bassman profile (I get misty-eyed thinking of the one I used to own). Effects are - well - ok but not stellar. Combo button function not working and pending an update of firmware apparently. This means only one effect linked to a foot switch in practice. Need to test usb midi next. Very good build quality.

That’s great to know, with the profiles you can download do people capture pedals as well as amps? I’ve found this on Tonex which is more fun for variation as basically just find 1 amp sound I like and stick with it.

But what I realised with Tonex is I can’t load rigs from an ios device, I can’t use it as a practice tool to play along tracks etc so the pedal becomes redundant.

@SumOne this is now sticking in my mind over the Mooer and Nux. Bigger than both for sure but too big? Better quality than all the unit’s we’re discussing, could potentially replace the Zoom with weirder stuff and has the IO for gigging.

Overkill for practice? Certainly but the more roles it fulfils (jam pedal, audio interface, looper, multi fx, core of a live rig, etc) the more it justifies it’s cost and size.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tayste_2000 said:

That’s great to know, with the profiles you can download do people capture pedals as well as amps? I’ve found this on Tonex which is more fun for variation as basically just find 1 amp sound I like and stick with it.

Of course you can't capture with this (although there is some crazy talk of it becoming a paid chargeable upgrade at a later date) but you can download profiles which include drive/distortion pedals. There are a load of the B7K for example. The device itself has some effects as well which will see many people OK for octave, chorus, fuzz etc. This may help 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So - update. 

I’m gonna try and send it back. It sounded awesome on its own, but in a band mix it vanished. The bigger brothers can mix direct signal or a parallel chain… you can’t on the player. Tested on a proper powerhead and the clean bass/low end was back. 

Kemper have reportedly said features might be released in future, so this might be one.. absolutely gutted as I loved the wee unit! Hugely surprised that something which could be immensely used by bassists, doesn’t have this feature. 

• Like 1