Why become a member? ×

Soloking Roscoe Beck IV copy

MichaelDean

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Too late ... I've already blown the Xmas fund on something else. 🙄

https://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/rk_100s/index.php

Comes with a set of roller skates. Allegedly.

Would pay to see you use this combo. The keytar and the roller skates.  No skates, deal's off.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Pedant alert... my pet peeve (yes if this is the worst, then I have a fine life).

Weight = 8.9lb

Now is that 8lb 9oz or 8.9lb as in 8lb 14 3/4oz

STOP using decimal points in Imperial measurements, they have no place!  

Carry on, nothing to see here.  ;)  

Stop using imperial measurements in the 21st Century then! 

2 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Pedant alert... my pet peeve (yes if this is the worst, then I have a fine life).

Weight = 8.9lb

Now is that 8lb 9oz or 8.9lb as in 8lb 14 3/4oz

STOP using decimal points in Imperial measurements, they have no place!  

Carry on, nothing to see here.  ;)  

Love a good tangent. 

We had this when our daughter was born. We were told the weight in kilogrammes. Obviously the grandparents wanted that in pounds and ounces. A quick Google gave it to me with a decimal. Took a couple of days to notice it wasn't right. One of the other dads in the antenatal group only realised a few weeks later, after I'd told him about my blunder. They'd received personalised gifts with the wrong weight put on (why it needs to go on gifts is another of life's great mysteries...).

• Haha 2

SO ANYWAY

I've ordered one. Christmas present to myself. Totally don't need another bass. Just been explaining to my 13-year-old nephew, who has just started playing electric guitar last year and is already up to 3 and is fluently debating the pros and cons of EMG vs Dimarzio pickups, that more gear isn't the answer, more practice is, and tone is in the fingers, and all that, and here I am, setting a bad example.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, wingnutkj said:

SO ANYWAY

I've ordered one. Christmas present to myself. Totally don't need another bass. Just been explaining to my 13-year-old nephew, who has just started playing electric guitar last year and is already up to 3 and is fluently debating the pros and cons of EMG vs Dimarzio pickups, that more gear isn't the answer, more practice is, and tone is in the fingers, and all that, and here I am, setting a bad example.

Do as I say, not as I do.  A classic!

Which colour did you go for?

Edited by neepheid

Just had a quick gander at replacement pickups for these, in case the the supplied ones are crap. It looks like Delano and Haussel do them (the Lawrence ones don't look like they're produced anymore). The Haussels are just over £300 for a set from Public Peace (don't know if that includes shipping) and the Delano from the US are about £270, but would incur taxes. Still cheaper than the Fender original, even if you replace the tuners for Hipshots and include a D Tuner too. If this is anywhere decently put together, it could be a great modding platform.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Just had a quick gander at replacement pickups for these, in case the the supplied ones are crap. It looks like Delano and Haussel do them (the Lawrence ones don't look like they're produced anymore). The Haussels are just over £300 for a set from Public Peace (don't know if that includes shipping) and the Delano from the US are about £270, but would incur taxes. Still cheaper than the Fender original, even if you replace the tuners for Hipshots and include a D Tuner too. If this is anywhere decently put together, it could be a great modding platform.

https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/product/jazzbar-bass-humbucker-13-31k-8-56-h-4-wire-overwound/

Will confirm if the measurements work out soon.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Owen said:

Wire is wire and magnets are magnets.

Ah, yes, the pickup prayer.

Wire to wire, magnet to magnet, and bobbin to bobbin.

We commit these items to the guitar, in the hope that our tonal goals are no longer aspirational.

We swear that we will not change them on a whim. Unless someone else had a tip off...

The stock pickups could be great, as I define great to mean.  I am open to this possibility - I'm not one of these people that change pickups as soon as the bass arrives.  Nothing will get done until I've heard it in cans, through the amp and at war volume in a band context.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wingnutkj said:

Mine has arrived! Unfortunately I'm not home and won't be in until late, and out all day tomorrow, so Friday afternoon will be my first chance to give it a thorough going-over.

image.png.46a2d7e8b7b49bf3d3171719e644086a.png

Favouritism!  And it's not as if I'm that much further up the road.  Damn you, DHL!

• Haha 1