Why become a member? ×

Guitar (sorry) book for young beginner - xmas pressie recommendations

EBS_freak

Hi hive...

I'm looking for a guitar book for my 8 year nephew who is getting his first acoustic guitar for Christmas. I've found him a funky as strap... and now looking for a book - but have absolutely no idea what I should be getting.

I learned guitar through the full scores Beatles white book... however I don't think that will work for him as my bro has not introduced him to the delights of The Beatles. My nephew is more a die hard Ed Sheeran fan anyway... hence the acoustic want over an electric.

So... any recommendations? Many thanks in advance....

All joking aside, I’ve found the Hal Leonard series of books are excellent.

The Rock Guitar and Acoustic Guitar versions come with downloadable audio and use real tracks and riffs, so he’ll be playing his favourite songs soon enough.

While you can buy a songbook, it makes no sense as Songsterr has arrangements of pretty much everything and it’s free. (I pay £10 per month but that’s only so I can download and print them).

Finally, it’s probably worth getting a few lessons (or it could end up like this)

• Like 1

Definitely Justin Guitar. IMO he's the best guitar tutor on YT and I've checked out a lot. I suppose you also have to think how your nephew likes to learn stuff e.g. reading/writing, auditory, visual, kinesthetic. Speaking for myself, as a kid I struggled learning from Bert Weedon's and others books and only got to grips when others showed me how to do it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Definitely Justin Guitar. IMO he's the best guitar tutor on YT and I've checked out a lot. I suppose you also have to think how your nephew likes to learn stuff e.g. reading/writing, auditory, visual, kinesthetic. Speaking for myself, as a kid I struggled learning from Bert Weedon's and others books and only got to grips when others showed me how to do it.

100% - I think that online videos are defo the way to go now if you are going to be learning by yourself... but also want something physical for him to open on Christmas day.

This JustinGuitar stuff looks quite good... I'm also hoping that my nephew takes to it and my bro goes down the 1 on 1 tutor route if it's not just a passing fad.

• Like 1

Where did you get that strap from - I know someone who would love one of those...

I can't really help re a tutor book. I taught myself to play from tab and non-tab books from the library as a youngster - including some dreadful ones that didn't really acknowledge how the guitar is used in modern (ie post-1940s) music. The Usbourne Learn To Play Guitar was improbably good though - might be completely appropriate for an 8 year old if you can find a reasonable copy.

A complete aside - have you come across the Beatles Guitar Techniques book? Chunks of about 60 songs tabbed out far more effectively and accurately than the rather staid Complete Scores book. (Which I love btw - just find it frustrating that it doesn't really pay attention to correct voicings and postitioning).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dankology said:

Where did you get that strap from - I know someone who would love one of those...

Googling "Levys MPD2-104" should give you a multitude of your favourite stores to choose from.

7 minutes ago, Dankology said:

A complete aside - have you come across the Beatles Guitar Techniques book? Chunks of about 60 songs tabbed out far more effectively and accurately than the rather staid Complete Scores book. (Which I love btw - just find it frustrating that it doesn't really pay attention to correct voicings and postitioning).

I have that very book too. The complete scores book was the bible to me though - gave me the foundations in bass too.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Bert Weedon's Play in a Day ... Still relevant, after all this time... :rWNVV2D:

PpuBNjC.jpg

I started off with this, although an earlier edition. If/when he's hooked, you might want to try 'The Guitar Handbook' by Ralph Denyer. It may bit a bit too advanced in total, but there's a handy chord dictionary, scales and the first elements of music theory. And as he progresses, there's a whole load of content on maintenance, amps, effects etc. I bought my first edition when I was 16 and I still have a copy that I use as a reference now (many, many, many etc years later).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1