Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder II fretted 4 string, 1983
£550
Swansea

Shaggy

As I’m currently winding my bass playing down to a low level I’m putting some stuff up for sale.

I rather feel quite a pang about this one, as I acquired it in a trade about this time last year to satisfy a 40-year old itch of wanting one, and very lovely bass though it is, its acquisition coincided with my starting to intensely focus on playing my other non-bass instruments.

This is a Thunder II, I believe from 1983, and is exactly the same spec as the P/J version of the Thunder III other than having the earlier pre-Eagle headstock logo, and with creme pickup covers and TRC rather than black.  Matsumoku (Japan) built.

Neck-through construction, solid Canadian ash body wings with the darker “walnut” finish, rock maple neck with walnut stringers, ebony fingerboard with real mother-of-pearl “snowflake” fret marker inlays, chunky solid brass nut and bridge/tailpiece.

Switchable passive or 18V active operation, controls explained here: 

http://www.westone.info/manual/index.html

In very decent nick for a 40 year old bass, with a few small dings and scratches, and some light tarnishing to the bridge where the lacquer has worn off the brass.    All original as far as I’m aware, bar the truss rod cover which I had custom made in the USA to replace the missing one.

Lots of love for these from bass players, and decent condition II and III models are getting increasingly scarce.   

Looking for just £550 on this; you’ll see them going for £1K+ on evilBay.   Collection from South Wales, near Swansea - I can deliver to Bridgend services M4, or possibly further for fuel costs.   Postage a potential option, but I’m putting 4 basses up for sale and only have one box!   Any questions or requests for specific pics; please message me.

DDA54F8E-39AF-4711-8A41-4B0887D1DC63.jpeg

7DC460D4-282A-4458-B448-1DC748942307.jpeg

954FD842-ECA9-4EF4-AC93-1B7E0B8A51CA.jpeg

63B7DED4-7992-4A41-9CC1-5816D62CA4B3.jpeg

03D3FC24-F879-4CA5-B8DF-3D40D2F54064.jpeg

440FB4DA-DB12-4DC2-9EB0-8A5BDD55BE40.jpeg

55BE1925-896C-467B-A8E9-5E0D136E0D0A.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I spent the whole of the early 80's dreaming on owning one of these, while plugging away at my Satellite 🤔

Ee, I used to dream of owning a Satellite, when I were hiding at back of t’stage wi’t shame of playing a......Columbus Jazz bass copy........🙁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Skybone said:

One of my "dream" basses back in the late 80's/early 90's. That is such a great looking bass. GLWTS.

Thanks Skybone, these seem to have been the “Pamela Anderson” of the bass world, in being unattainable objects of desire for a certain generation of bass players whilst in their formative years.......

Though my main object of desire when I started out was a Ric, as in your avatar.    I’ve since been lucky enough to own 3 - still got my early ‘73 4001. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Thanks Skybone, these seem to have been the “Pamela Anderson” of the bass world, in being unattainable objects of desire for a certain generation of bass players whilst in their formative years.......

Though my main object of desire when I started out was a Ric, as in your avatar.    I’ve since been lucky enough to own 3 - still got my early ‘73 4001. 🙂

Very true.

Mine still IS a 4001, I'll settle with my 4003. ;) :D 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a sister bass to go along with this.
Exactly the same, except mine is fretless. (blank fingerboard, side dots).

Fantastic instruments, although I don't currently play it. It has sat in the loft for the past 10 years or so.

Very high quality build, lovely neck through body, lovely wood grains.

GLWTS.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2024 at 20:31, lowregisterhead said:

As soon as I see one of these, it takes me right back to Rock School and Henry 'Magic Thumb' Thomas.

A big +1 for Rock School though I always thought H.T.'s nickname was 'King Thumb'. 😊

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

A big +1 for Rock School though I always thought H.T.'s nickname was 'King Thumb'. 😊

Could well be. It was a looooong time ago!

Edit: just did a quick search, and you’re quite right - he did call himself ‘King Thumb’. Not sure where I got the ‘Magic’ from! 😁

Edited by lowregisterhead
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

Could well be. It was a looooong time ago!

Edit: just did a quick search, and you’re quite right - he did call himself ‘King Thumb’. Not sure where I got the ‘Magic’ from! 😁

Hehe, indeed it was a long time ago - I'm slightly surprised I even remembered it, myself. (Just don't ask me what I had for breakfast! 😉)

• Haha 1

Re above; had to google “School of rock”  as I’ve seen it a couple of times, and absolutely no recollection of Henry “King Thumb” Thomas being in it 🤔

Doh - Rock School, not School of rock........

Never watched it, never seen or heard of the guy, but if he slaps a Thunder II he must be a discerning man of taste 👍

15 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Re above; had to google “School of rock”  as I’ve seen it a couple of times, and absolutely no recollection of Henry “King Thumb” Thomas being in it 🤔

Doh - Rock School, not School of rock........

Never watched it, never seen or heard of the guy, but if he slaps a Thunder II he must be a discerning man of taste 👍

I couldn't find a clip from Rock School that may have showed Henry playing his Westone, but here's part of one of the episodes from, I think, around the mid to late 80's. He's upgraded slightly -- to a Wal 5-string! 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

I couldn't find a clip from Rock School that may have showed Henry playing his Westone, but here's part of one of the episodes from, I think, around the mid to late 80's. He's upgraded slightly -- to a Wal 5-string! 😊

Thanks Stingray5 - I think I had a jacket like that circa 1985 too.......🤔

Edit: and you mean downgraded slightly, surely......😉

Edited by Shaggy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Thanks Stingray5 - I think I had a jacket like that circa 1985 too.......🤔

Edit: and you mean downgraded slightly, surely......😉

Haha, I definitely had a jacket like that circa 1985! 😁

And yes, of course, what I meant to say was 'downgraded'... 😄

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/11/2023 at 21:11, Shaggy said:

Ee, I used to dream of owning a Satellite, when I were hiding at back of t’stage wi’t shame of playing a......Columbus Jazz bass copy........🙁

Aye I used to dream of owning a Columbus  while playing my K pbass! Oh the shame of it all :(

• Haha 1

Blimey. I wish the last 40 years had been as kind to me - can’t believe the condition of this bass, looks absolutely amazing. There is something about those 80’s neck through models that just screams quality build, and in this condition at that price it’s an absolute bargain. I am sure this one won’t be around for long especially as these ‘vintage’ basses are getting harder and harder to find in anything like that condition... a little gem from the Welsh Man Cave

GLWTS

• Like 1