Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Three10 Teaser: Anybody Know More?

Obrienp

I've caved.

I've ordered one.

It's too new to find any secondhand yet, and I think this will be a great cab for me, having experience of a few of their other 10" offerings.

Estimated lead time is 6 to 8 weeks, so I'm going to be waiting a while!

Rob

• Like 6

18 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I've caved.

I've ordered one.

It's too new to find any secondhand yet, and I think this will be a great cab for me, having experience of a few of their other 10" offerings.

Rob

I really liked the demo video so will be keen to hear your thoughts once you have played through the cab.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I've caved.

I've ordered one.

Rob

Aaaarrggghhh I am holding out for a 6x10 really but this does kinda tick the right boxes. So has anyone used one in anger yet?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, walshy said:

Aaaarrggghhh I am holding out for a 6x10 really but this does kinda tick the right boxes. So has anyone used one in anger yet?

Wait for @bassist_lewis to post impressions soon. 3x10 due this week according to earlier post.

• Like 4

On 10/05/2024 at 15:41, bassist_lewis said:

I got the email from DPD today that it is on its way, so should arrive next week.

I think a lot of people are as excited about your Three10 arriving as you are! I suspect there are quite a few fingers hovering near triggers, just waiting for a positive review from you! No pressure then!

I decided it was just a bit too big and heavy for me to manage in my old age and went down the LFSys route, which I don’t regret. You can’t really compare BF 10CR based cabs  to the LFSys Monza. They have completely different design objectives. I’m sure the Three10 will be amazing.

If I need the extra grunt of a 3 x 10, I’m going to stack my Monza on top of  my BF Two10 and I now have an amp that can handle the 2.7 ohm combined load. Each cab is compact and under 13 Kg which I can manage. Not as good as having a purpose designed 3 x 10  but I think I would struggle to manage the 21/22Kg and size of a Three10 with tweeter. Great if you can handle it and I’m very interested to hear what you think of yours when it arrives.

• Like 4

So after some hassle with the courier delivering to the address down the road that is one word different to mine (not the first time; I have complained) I have the Three10. The true test will be on a gig (I have two in a couple of weeks), but my initial impressions are good. The tone is what I expected: overall very warm, a little less upper mids than my Compact, a touch more bass, but just the right amount of the right kind of highs (IMHO). I've played around with the tweeter and not heard a massive difference with it on or off, but I play with flats and no wild effects, so frankly I'd rather have a mellow tweeter.

The wheels and handles mean its not much more awkward to move than the Compact, though I did not enjoy carrying it the hundred or so metres back to my flat!

Plus it matches my office.

IMG20240513201903.jpg

• Like 17

8 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

So after some hassle with the courier delivering to the address down the road that is one word different to mine (not the first time; I have complained) I have the Three10. The true test will be on a gig (I have two in a couple of weeks), but my initial impressions are good. The tone is what I expected: overall very warm, a little less upper mids than my Compact, a touch more bass, but just the right amount of the right kind of highs (IMHO). I've played around with the tweeter and not heard a massive difference with it on or off, but I play with flats and no wild effects, so frankly I'd rather have a mellow tweeter.

The wheels and handles mean its not much more awkward to move than the Compact, though I did not enjoy carrying it the hundred or so metres back to my flat!

IMG20240513201903.jpg

Really lovely setup there, congrats 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

IMG20240513201903.jpg

Ah ha! Thanks. Thanks for the brief review. Please keep us updated as you venture out with it. Is that the amp you gig with?

I'm so looking forward to getting mine. I am also currently running Super Compacts, one or two depending. More bass than a Super Compact you say? Woo hoo! It's going to be thunderous. I've ordered mine with no tweeter, as I never hear them anyway!

I see you went cloth grill, so did I, except I opted for silver for that old school look. All my others have been steel, but I felt like a change.

I look forward to your next missive. 

Rob

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Ah ha! Thanks. Thanks for the brief review. Please keep us updated as you venture out with it. Is that the amp you gig with?

I'm so looking forward to getting mine. I am also currently running Super Compacts, one or two depending. More bass than a Super Compact you say? Woo hoo! It's going to be thunderous. I've ordered mine with no tweeter, as I never hear them anyway!

I see you went cloth grill, so did I, except I opted for silver for that old school look. All my others have been steel, but I felt like a change.

I look forward to your next missive. 

Rob

I've gigged the PF-50T a couple of times but it's only 50 watts and it just can't keep up with a band and stay clean. Live I use a Mesa D800.

It's either more bass or less upper mids. Alex has said that their cones take a while to break in so we'll see how it sounds in a few weeks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

Alex has said that their cones take a while to break in so we'll see how it sounds in a few weeks.

I am not convinced about this. Of course these drivers could be different but having “ conditioned” several drivers in the past, IMO It makes little difference.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

I've gigged the PF-50T a couple of times but it's only 50 watts and it just can't keep up with a band and stay clean. Live I use a Mesa D800.

It's either more bass or less upper mids. Alex has said that their cones take a while to break in so we'll see how it sounds in a few weeks.

Do you think the 50t will have enough clean headroom with the 310? I guess it all depends on your drummer!

2 hours ago, Gypsyfolk said:

Do you think the 50t will have enough clean headroom with the 310? I guess it all depends on your drummer!

I might try it out on my wedding gig next week, though its a 6/7 piece soul band so it may still not be loud enough!

• Like 2

Less upper mid is a characteristic of their 10's vs their 12's. Having had a Two10 and three One10's, and now the two Super Compacts. 

I was a little naive when I bought the first SC. I thought it would be just a bigger version of their 10, but it was very different sonically, and at first I was a little disappointed to be honest. The SC's are more "hi-fi", they reproduce a lot more of what goes in, without colour. Once I got used to them, I found I could get what I wanted out of them, and they sound huge, but it did involve a change of amp! The Bergantino I was using just didn't sound how I wanted it to through the SC's, it was too pronounced in the upper mid, very hard to describe, but almost clanky. Bear in mid, I'm a vintage P Bass with flats and the tone rolled off kind of chap.

Now this 3x10 is out, I'm rather excited at the prospect of having "that tone" back again, smooth, warm, old school. I've withdrawn the Berg from sale as I want to see how it sounds through the 3x10.

The wait is going to kill me....

Rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

The SC's are more "hi-fi", they reproduce a lot more of what goes in, without colour.

When you buy a Barefaced 112 you get to find out how good (or not) your bass and amp really sounds.

Fortunately I was using Aguilar amps and Lull and Sadowsky basses and they just found another gear when I bought my first SC and another gear altogether when I bought the second.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

When you buy a Barefaced 112 you get to find out how good (or not) your bass and amp really sounds.

Fortunately I was using Aguilar amps and Lull and Sadowsky basses and they just found another gear when I bought my first SC and another gear altogether when I bought the second.

I do agree. The SC's are very revealing. They precipitated a switch from my Bergantino to a Tecamp Puma 900, simply because the Tecamp had a more old school baked in tone with the "Taste" control. I admit, I am odd, there's not a lot of top end in my tone, and I do like a pushy low mid.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Meaning no disrespect, I don't see the point of buying a powerful speaker cabinet and then castrating it by driving it with a 50W amp. Even in the Sixties 50W didn't get you too far. 

Valve amp wattage takes you further than solid state wattage though

Edited by asingardenof
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Have had the 310 for  a while now &my main reason for buying it was the fact that it was a 4 ohm cab so I would get maximum output from my Orange OB1-500 I had been using an SC [8 ohms) so was having to push the amp harder. Now that the drivers have bedded in, the sound is gorgeous without having to push the amp too hard. I'm playing a 60's precision with roundworns on, bit of dribble through PA, but am getting smiles from drummer & nearby guitarist about the sound. I find it's well worth taking an Aurelex board along and trying it with & without at soundcheck - most of the places I play are pubs and you never know what is underneath you! The drivers took longer to bed in than I expected, but I find I get a better tone from the 10'' than the 12" drivers.

As for the weight, I always carry a fold-up sack truck which also helps with PA speakers, lights etc. Having said all this I am 72 + years old and I reckon my playing career has been extended by a good few years by going down the Barefaced route.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Meaning no disrespect, I don't see the point of buying a powerful speaker cabinet and then castrating it by driving it with a 50W amp. Even in the Sixties 50W didn't get you too far. 

If your question is, why do I use a 50W amp when the cab can handle 750W dirty and around 1000W clean, the answer is I use the Ampeg at home because it sounds nice and I wouldn't get to use it otherwise. I used it live with my previous Super Compact a couple of times and it had to be driven pretty hard just to be audible. For the last 6/7 years I've used a Mesa D800 live, which puts out 800W. However, as discussed above, I may try the Ampeg live with the Three10 at some point, but I'm not expecting much. As you say, it is only 50W, and even 50 TUBE watts don't go that far.

The question niggling at me now is, why use such a small amp with such a big cab... I need a bigger 800W amp!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, therasonic450 said:

. . . .  I reckon my playing career has been extended by a good few years by going down the Barefaced route.

I feel exactly the same, and D class amps and Neo cabs are sounding so good these days.

IMO we're in a golden age of bass gear.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I feel exactly the same, and D class amps and Neo cabs are sounding so good these days.

IMO we're in a golden age of bass gear.

Definitely, with my Mustang bass and whatever type of back-line required - Fender Rumble combo/Ashdown RM500 head/Aguilar Tonehammer DI) I can still gig easily, and most importantly sound good (and hopefully play ok too). Without the lighter weight gear I`d have had to give up gigging last year when my back got bad, this gear has enable me to keep going.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Valve amp wattage takes you further than solid state wattage though

That is an over simplification. Tube amps give a pleasing  distortion when pushed too far.  If a cabinet is rated for 750W you need at least that much to make it 'sing'.