Why become a member? ×

Black Friday deals

Bass Novice

Some companies are starting to release, or at least let customers know about, their black Friday deals. It might be a good idea to put any bargains in this thread, doesn't have to be a bass, it can be anything music related. Personally I would like a cheap and decent beginners electric guitar, just to mess about with and learn as a second instrument. Anyone else looking for a bargain?

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, markbunney said:

I am in the market for a spare bass for gigs. I only have one, and get paranoid at every gig that I will have a problem

It’s def worth it Mark, I’ve only ever needed a backup once, sadly I didn’t have one with me that day but fortunately the bassist in the headline band let me use his.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Black Friday deals are a Misnomer,should be Black Friday Rip offs

It's all about the £££.  Every retail business and supplier will have overstocks that need shifting to make way for new year supplies.  Ta-daa!  Black Friday.

I worked ten years for a wristwatch company; we'd push Christmas orders out from June/July, extended payment terms and deals.  In the case of the bigger chain jewellers/catalogue businesses, we get sales numbers back and sign off contribution credits to support any potential losses customer side during promotions like Black Friday.  We'd rather pay a few £££ per watch rather than having it returned, checked and put back into stock.

I'd never buy anything during these events, period.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

It’s def worth it Mark, I’ve only ever needed a backup once, sadly I didn’t have one with me that day but fortunately the bassist in the headline band let me use his.

Yes it happened to me once as well years ago.

The soldering on a wire on the inside of the input jack broke and started cutting out. The bass would only work if I stood completely still in a certain position to make the connection. That wasn't much fun for 2 hours!

I don't really want to waste money on a cheap piece of firewood, but equally am not in a position to buy anything "decent", so will have to see if any good offers come up.

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's all about the £££.  Every retail business and supplier will have overstocks that need shifting to make way for new year supplies.  Ta-daa!  Black Friday.

Plus it's a convenient point the day after Thanksgiving in the US when the feral amongst the populace can have their Purge moment while cheaping out on Christmas presents.

2 hours ago, markbunney said:

The soldering on a wire on the inside of the input jack broke and started cutting out. The bass would only work if I stood completely still in a certain position to make the connection. That wasn't much fun for 2 hours!

I don't really want to waste money on a cheap piece of firewood, but equally am not in a position to buy anything "decent", so will have to see if any good offers come up.

Same for me, problem on the electrics, which were fine when I did my pre gig journey check at home.

Squier/Vintage/Harley Benton all do perfectly decent basses which can be very affordable used - my old Vintage Tony Butler Precision cost me £120 and it was a great instrument.

• Thanks 1

On 16/11/2023 at 09:21, markbunney said:

Another one here. Many years ago. I knew the jack socket was intermittent on my old Warwick Thumb before setting out for the gig, and it worked if I wrapped the lead tightly through the strap and didn't move much. But I ended up swapping to my backup for the second set anyway - a Yamaha RBX4/A2 - the lightweight "iPod" bass - I really wish I had kept that one now.

After carting a full scale backup around that never gets used - first a Yamaha Attitude Std that I didn't get on with (that I also stupidly p/exd the above RBX4 for) then my Squier 50s P. I decided to get something smaller and lighter, and acquired a Jackson Minion. What a whole lot of fun that is to play. Highly recommend as a backup solution.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I decided to get something smaller and lighter, and acquired a Jackson Minion. What a whole lot of fun that is to play. Highly recommend as a backup solution.

Thanks for the tip, I had actually been looking at one of these as a backup solution

29 minutes ago, markbunney said:

Thanks for the tip, I had actually been looking at one of these as a backup solution

Check out the Ibanez Mikro as well. They're both as good as each other really.

As my first short-scale bass (other than the really crappy beaten up POS I learn on, that I bought off a mate for £35 around thirty years ago), I can really see the appeal. It's got me hankering for a Sire U5.

• Thanks 1

On 15/11/2023 at 19:29, Bass Novice said:

Some companies are starting to release, or at least let customers know about, their black Friday deals. It might be a good idea to put any bargains in this thread, doesn't have to be a bass, it can be anything music related. Personally I would like a cheap and decent beginners electric guitar, just to mess about with and learn as a second instrument. Anyone else looking for a bargain?

Well, I wasn't - but I have had a bit of a hankering for a guitar with a partucular spec - Strat-ish hardtail, Fender neck dimensions, 3 pickups with a coil-split bridge 'bucker. Preferably maple board & nice-grained or vibrantly coloured top, just for fun.

Seems to be a broadly non-existent format (apart from a version of Charvel's San Dimas, which is about £800), until a few days ago I quite accidentally happened across this:

preview.jpg

Which, from this morning is in the G4M Black Friday sale for £139.

Needless to say, there's one in the post. default_OMG.gif.9d73e7a55ebb5b97c7faa406b1ad03b2.gif

• Like 1