Why become a member? ×

Retirement / nice gig going for someone?

casapete

After 14 years playing with ‘The ELO Experience’ I am looking to retire in the spring of 2024.

Subsequently the band are looking for my replacement, and I suggested putting it on here

first to see if anyone is interested? I’ve posted more details in the ‘Bassists Wanted’ section,

so please have a look if you think it may be for you.

Many thanks, Pete.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

What a great opportunity, I’m sure you’ll be sadly missed Pete.

Thanks Loz. I’ve been with them for around 14 years so it’s going to be difficult for me.

Hopefully we can find someone who will enjoy it as much as I have. 😊

On 05/11/2023 at 23:13, casapete said:

After 14 years playing with ‘The ELO Experience’ I am looking to retire in the spring of 2024.

Subsequently the band are looking for my replacement, and I suggested putting it on here

first to see if anyone is interested? I’ve posted more details in the ‘Bassists Wanted’ section,

so please have a look if you think it may be for you.

Many thanks, Pete.

It won’t be the same without you Pete but 14 years is a good stretch without inflicting harm on the Vocalist and/or drummer.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DJpullchord said:

Does playing in a tribute band pay well? I appreciate it’s a bit of vague question with variables.

I was wondering the same as the add says that while you can work around it you have to commit to it as your primary job (or words to that effect) and there's about 65 gigs a year. 

They'd have to be really well paid gigs. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DJpullchord said:

Does playing in a tribute band pay well? I appreciate it’s a bit of vague question with variables.

It’s probably just the same variables that affect all others types of band - how much of a draw / following / 

how far to travel / size of venue etc. I earn more from my band than I do from when playing local pubs. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I was wondering the same as the add says that while you can work around it you have to commit to it as your primary job (or words to that effect) and there's about 65 gigs a year. 

They'd have to be really well paid gigs. 

By my back-of-fag-packet calcs you'd have to be getting at least £312 per person per gig to make it worthwhile it being your only job (assuming equivalent to 37.5h/wk job @ nat min wage of £10.42 = equivalent annual salary of £20,280, divided by 65). I'm sure there's a lot more to it than this but on the face of it it doesn't sound a particularly attractive prospect from a financial point of view.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

By my back-of-fag-packet calcs you'd have to be getting at least £312 per person per gig to make it worthwhile it being your only job (assuming equivalent to 37.5h/wk job @ nat min wage of £10.42 = equivalent annual salary of £20,280, divided by 65). I'm sure there's a lot more to it than this but on the face of it it doesn't sound a particularly attractive prospect from a financial point of view.

Being in a band never does. 😂

• Haha 2

On 09/11/2023 at 11:37, Newfoundfreedom said:

Being in a band never does. 😂

I guess that's why there's no mention of payment. It doesn't help not to at least make reference to the fees paid. Many of us don't only play bass as a hobby..? I'm in Yorkshire too!

Edited by shantijoe
spelling

56 minutes ago, shantijoe said:

I guess that's why there's no mention of payment. It doesn't help not to at least make reference to the fees paid. Many of us don't only play bass as a hobby..? I'm in Yorkshire too!

In fairness the add does say to contact the OP if you're interested. So it would only take a quick message to find out if its something you're genuinely interested in. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shantijoe said:

I guess that's why there's no mention of payment. It doesn't help not to at least make reference to the fees paid. Many of don't only play bass as a hobby..? I'm in Yorkshire too!

I haven’t alluded to the finances as I don’t know them!  I appreciate this may seem strange, but I’ve no idea

how that side of things will pan out. As stated in the advert, I’m just putting this on here to put

the BL in touch with anyone who may be interested in the gig, then he can take it from there with them. 
May be seem a bit long winded, but it’s not my call etc.

Interested people can let me know via PM by Wednesday 15th November, when I will forward stuff to 

the BL, after which it will then be down to him as to how things proceed.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for someone, I doubt spaces like this come up very often, hope you find someone and all the best with your retirement pete 

Thanks! Hope someone on here may be interested as it’s a lovely band of decent people to work with.

I’m actually going down the ‘semi-retirement’ route, continuing playing in my acoustic duo with

my best mate doing local (ish) gigs, as well as (hopefully) the odd dep or two. Will be strange

not having a regular ‘electric’ gig, first time in decades! 

• Like 4