Why become a member? ×

Hotone II Stage!

thisisswanbon

New Hotone goodness here!

https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/multi-effects/ampero-ii-stage

Looks like a step up from the Ampero II stomp, which is a really impressive bit of kit, and if it was a better known brand with a bit more customisation would've been a genuine HX stomp killer!

This unit looks seriously impressive!

• Like 4

Looks to me as if they've incorporated everything I could ask for in terms of functionality.

My only issue with multi effects (except for Zoom) is poor octave up sound and no bass synths. 

However I can testify everything else about Hotone Stomp is superb

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2023 at 11:50, Baloney Balderdash said:

I need this!

Am pretty sure I would pretty much be able to retire my huge bulgy pedal board with this.

It even got a model of the EHX Small Stone phaser, my absolute favorite phaser of all times.

And I am sure I would be able, through various combinations of what drives are available on this unit, to even find a high gain distortion tone I would be satisfied with as well, even if my current high gain distortion setup is relatively complex and rather specific.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I was disappointed with the Hotone Ampere Mini - it sounded really nice for clean sounds and the OD was OK, but the octave and filters were terrible. I know it's the last generation but I have multi effects from several decades before this which are a thousand times better sounding. That said, the interface was great, as was the build and feel.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ped said:

I was disappointed with the Hotone Ampere Mini - it sounded really nice for clean sounds and the OD was OK, but the octave and filters were terrible. I know it's the last generation but I have multi effects from several decades before this which are a thousand times better sounding. That said, the interface was great, as was the build and feel.

That's very useful to know. Good UI can't make up for sub-par sims. Looks like I'll be sticking to the GT 1000 Core for now then.

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's very useful to know. Good UI can't make up for sub-par sims. Looks like I'll be sticking to the GT 1000 Core for now then.

Up to you of course, but everyone else seems to think the Ampero II effect models are great, some even amazing (and most people actually the previous generation of Ampero One effects, that Ped speaks about, as well) .

People who actually tried the most recent generation of HoTone digital modeling effects, unlike Ped.

Also I would think a lot of it is down to personal preferrences.

Personally I haven't tried any of HoTone's digital effects, so can't confirm neither side of this discussion, but I would be partial to trust the opinion of the majority and people who actually tried the models in question.

Try looking up the HoTone Ampero II Stomp, which would be the smaller version of this, threads, which features the exact same effect models on, utilizing HoTones most recent current modeling technique, and you'll see what I am talking about.

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Up to you of course, but everyone else seems to think the Ampero II effect models are great, some even amazing (and most people actually the previous generation of Ampero One effects, that Ped speaks about, as well) .

People who actually tried the most recent generation of HoTone digital modeling effects, unlike Ped.

Personally I haven't tried any of HoTone's digital effects, so can't confirm neither side of this discussion, but I would be partial to trust the opinion of the majority and people who actually tried the models in question.

Try looking up the HoTone Ampero II Stomp, which would be the smaller version of this, threads, which features the exact same effect models on, utilizing HoTones most recent current modeling technique, and you'll see what I am talking about.

While I haven't tried the Ampero mini, the filters on the Ampero II were fantastic (one mans fantastic is another mans tragic of course).  The pitch effects were still awful on the Ampero II however, even after a complete overhaul update of them... they'd have been better off saving face and removing them in my opinion.

This is indeed the case, as with any piece of gear we discuss here. If you'd like to trust the opinions of others without trying it yourself, that's your call, but I'm sure we're all keen for you to confirm for us all one way or another.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

While I haven't tried the Ampero mini, the filters on the Ampero II were fantastic (one mans fantastic is another mans tragic of course).  The pitch effects were still awful on the Ampero II however, even after a complete overhaul update of them... they'd have been better off saving face and removing them in my opinion.

I think filters must be among the most subjective effects out there! I notice that the Ampero Mini filter is called the 'Toucher' but the full sized version has one called 'Dynamic Basso' which may be much better. Toucher has a bass ode but it just reacts very weirdly and it doesn't;t feel as if the dynamics are controllable on the instrument, kind of hard to explain.. one thing I have remembered is that the phaser sounds great, but I don't use them much. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ped said:

This is indeed the case, as with any piece of gear we discuss here. If you'd like to trust the opinions of others without trying it yourself, that's your call, but I'm sure we're all keen for you to confirm for us all one way or another.

What I said was that I would be partial to believe the opinion of a majority who have experience over 1 mans opinion that do not.

In the context of the quoted post that it was a reply to to be understood as if it was me I would be partial to rather base my decision on whether to get this unit on the opinions of a majority who have experience over 1 mans opinion that do not.

I think there is a substantial difference.

clarification

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

What I am said was that I was partial to believe a majority who have experience over 1 mans opinion that have not.

And as I implied, your partiality is your call. I know you'll be right either way and point that out. Bye

• Confused 1

What I said was that I would be partial to believe a majority who have experience over 1 mans opinion that have not.

In the context of the quoted post that it was a reply to to be understood as if it was me I would be partial to rather base my decision on whether to get this unit on the opinions of a majority who have experience over 1 mans opinion that have not.

Yeah a lot folk said the same about Galileo, too. Turns out he was right 😅

a key point here is that @ped has as much experience of filters as pretty much anyone on BC - so I'm very partial to what he has to say on the subject! 

I also know that many multifx do struggle with filters and synth sounds, although several manage to do a pretty decent octave up/down and, sometimes, the cheaper older models such as the Zoom's multifx can often match or beat much higher end models. 

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah a lot folk said the same about Galileo, too. Turns out he was right 😅

a key point here is that @ped has as much experience of filters as pretty much anyone on BC - so I'm very partial to what he has to say on the subject! 

I also know that many multifx do struggle with filters and synth sounds, although several manage to do a pretty decent octave up/down and, sometimes, the cheaper older models such as the Zoom's multifx can often match or beat much higher end models. 

Yeah, I apologize for trying to help, won't happen again I promise. 

I am just not sure his experience with filters is much worth when it comes to filter models he haven't actually any experience with, and even then regardless it would still just be an opinion.

As both he and I agreed on: "I would think a lot of it is down to personal preferences"   

And as I said: "Up to you of course"

Or as he said himself: "If you'd like to trust the opinions of others without trying it yourself, that's your call"

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, SumOne said:

£619.....Ooof! https://www.thomann.de/gb/hotone_ampero_ii_stage.htm?glp=1

Looks good, but it'd better be at that price.

An extra £200 to the Ampero II Stomp... not sure if there's any spec changes aside from the extra footswitch functionality.  Bit of a push if not...

• Like 1