Why become a member? ×

Loking for help on a Telecaster or similar....

rwillett

Unsure if this is allowed here, or I will be excommunicated with immediate effect, but here goes.

I'm looking for a decentish guitar to play mainly rhythm for home recording. I am not likely to turn into a heavy metal shredding lead guitarist. Now there's loads of guitars out there that can do this so why am I asking for a little advice or help...

1. I have really bad thumbs from playing rugby. I made a Telecaster from a kit a few weeks ago with my eldest daughter and thoroughly enjoyed it. It also plays very well, but the neck is so thick, it hurts my thumb. This is not a little ache, this is really painful on the thumb. I do not have this playing my MIJ Jazz or MIM Mustang bass as the necks are a lot thinner. I can't work out which of the Fenders or Squiers or Epiphones have slim necks.

2. I don't really live near anywhere that I can go and try without losing a half day in travel. I'm time poor at the moment.

3. I like second hand guitars, but its difficult to work out which of the guitars have a thin neck. 

4. I am assuming (bad word in my line of work) that people here play other things than bass and are happy to help. 

5. Budget is circa £500-£600, so that gets me into entry level Fender territory. I like Fenders but am not wedded to them, so if somebody can suggest a Squier or Epiphone or whatever guitar that works thats fine. I'm not a snob about the name on the head.

6. Somebody might be looking to sell one neat North Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria area

Any help or advice welcome

Thanks

Rob

Shameless self promotion I know but I have a nice Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster neck for sale in the 'Accessories & Other Musically Related Items For Sale' section that might make your Project Tele more playable? There is also a good looking cheap red Stratocaster copy in the same section ( that has nothing to do with me 🙂 ) that might be worth a punt st £50, I was tempted with that myself!

When you the neck is thick do you mean across the strings (width) or the distance between the top of the fingerboard to the back of the neck (depth)? Or both? The answer will have implications for the suggestions of what kinds of guitars suit, although TBH is either of these measurements is critical for your playing enjoyment and comfort, the only real solution will be to go and try some actual instruments.

16 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

When you the neck is thick do you mean across the strings (width) or the distance between the top of the fingerboard to the back of the neck (depth)? Or both? The answer will have implications for the suggestions of what kinds of guitars suit, although TBH is either of these measurements is critical for your playing enjoyment and comfort, the only real solution will be to go and try some actual instruments.

@BigRedX Thanks, It's the distance from the fretboard to the back. My jazz and Mustang are thin necked. I actually have big hands and can hold a size 5 rugby ball. When I press on for chords, its really straining the thumb and it's painful.

17 minutes ago, Rumple said:

Shameless self promotion I know but I have a nice Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster neck for sale in the 'Accessories & Other Musically Related Items For Sale' section that might make your Project Tele more playable? There is also a good looking cheap red Stratocaster copy in the same section ( that has nothing to do with me 🙂 ) that might be worth a punt st £50, I was tempted with that myself!

@Rumple I'll have a look and perhaps have a chat about your (guitar) neck. I enjoyed building the guitar as it was a great father/daughter time, and if she wants to keep the guitar, no issues at all. It sounds great, but it's just too thick for me.

I hadn't seen the Strat, will also have a look.

Thank you for helping.

Rob

It's difficult to advice on this without knowing the neck dimensions of the kit guitar. That said, Telecasters typically have fairly thick and rounded necks with a fairly small fingerboard radius (i.e. curved frets). I have owned a '99 Fender American Standard Tele and two G&L USA ASAT Specials (one from the 1990s and one from around 2004) and all of these had similar necks: fairly bold and thick C-shaped necks, thicker than my Strat necks, with a curvy 9.5" fingerboard radius (more vintage correct Teles will even have a 7.25" radius, which isn't for everyone).

If you want Tele tones but a thinner, more modern neck shape there are other options out there too. Ibanez recently discontinued the Talman series, but there are still TM302's out there. The shape roughly sits inbetween a Jazzmaster and a Tele, but the electronics package and the bridge are undeniably Telecaster. They're very comfortable instruments with classic Tele tones but a more modern look and feel. 

Andertons recently did a nice video on affordable Teles too, with some nice contenders like the Sire Larry Carlton models that looked and sounded great. 

Edited by LeftyJ

19 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Thanks, It's the distance from the fretboard to the back. My jazz and Mustang are thin necked. I actually have big hands and can hold a size 5 rugby ball. When I press on for chords, its really straining the thumb and it's painful.

On the whole, as has been said, Telecasters tend to have fairly chunky necks, but there are always exceptions. Personally I find the typical Telecaster a bit limiting, and you'll get a lot more tones out of something like a Stratocaster with HSS or HSH pickup configurations, and if you go for one with a locking vibrato they nearly always come with shallow depth necks.  

39 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Personally I find the typical Telecaster a bit limiting, and you'll get a lot more tones out of something like a Stratocaster with HSS or HSH pickup configurations, and if you go for one with a locking vibrato they nearly always come with shallow depth necks.  

If it's a case of my skills limiting the neck or the neck limiting my skills, I'm pretty certain whats to blame :)

But so long as you have a guitar that's hard or uncomfortable to play, there's always a sneaking suspicion that your instrument is holding you back. I'm a very ordinary bassist and guitarist but I have very nice basses and guitars so I know for sure that I'm the limiting factor.

• Like 2

Telecasters tend to have fairly chunky necks. This is part of the reason I like them and Gibson Les Pauls when switching from bass but I'm conscious that my preferred tastes are the complete opposite to liking a thin neck from front to back.

If you want a neck that isn't thick from front to back, it might be worth looking into a second hand PRS SE. A lot of the PRS instruments have a 'wide thin' carve where the neck very narrow from front to back, but the fingerboard is quite wide and flat. Definitely worth putting on 'worth trying' list.

Fender Jazzmaster might be worth considering too. Lots of tonal options and the neck will be thinner than the average Telecaster. 

I would highly recommend visiting a shop or two and trying some instruments out. 

@thodrik

I know the best thing is to visit, it's just time. Week days are out and the next few weekends as well. I was hoping that somebody on her was selling one and lived near by so I could try it out in an evening.

Thanks for the info on PRS SE's. Thats helpful to know, I'll add them to my list.

Rob

@velvetkevorkian

I live in the Yorkshire Dales. In the surrounding 80 - 120 square miles, there are approx 1,500 people :) The average age of these people is somewhere between 125 and 260 years old. I am looked on as somewhat of a youngster. We have around 10M sheep though and around 2,000 border collies and labradors (I may have those figures wrong), but we do have a lot of dogs. Basically as you come to live here, you are assigned a dog or two, possibly more.

The chances of an Ibanez RG being around here is probably the same chances of Juliette Binoche suddenly declaring her undying love for me, or Michael Gove telling the true, possible but highly unlikely.

Some of the people here are still getting used to this new technology, electricity. Generators are common, most places don't have gas (we don't) nor BT at all. We do have running water and no septic tank, we are considered a bit of a metrosexual family as we came from London, but I think some places still get stuff from a local well. After saying that, I do have fibre optic broadband with a reliable 930Mb upload and 890Mb download speed.

In all seriousness, thanks for the info on the Ibanez RG range. I will keep a look out.

Best wishes

Rob

I’m always surprised when folks say that Telecasters tend to have chunky necks. Certainly the original 1950s ones did but I’ve owned a ‘63 and a ‘68 that were just on the perfect side of skinny. I had a 1969 Thinline Tele and that had a fairly skinny neck too. My hands are weirdly tiny so I’m always into any guitar or bass with a neck that I can get away with. And having worked in a shop that specialized in vintage guitars I found plenty Telecasters that had skinny necks or were simply easy to play. 

If you don’t mind buying second hand, then definitely try and check out the MIM ‘69 Thinline, or the MIM ‘72 Thinline that has a pair of humbuckers, that is a very versatile Tele and they can sound like regular Teles if you need them to. The roadworn Teles and Baja Teles should be available in your price range too.

In terms of Squier - any of the ‘60s style models should have necks to suit your needs. Play a few if you can, you might be surprised.

I’ve got 3 Teles (1 Classic 60s Fender, and two Squiers) and the one that gets the most play is a CV ‘72 Thinline, the neck on it is my favourite but tonally it’s great. And it was £150 second hand. Just try and play a few and you’ll know soon enough which is the one (or two!) that’s right for you. Good luck on the quest 👍

Edited by meterman
  • Like 1

Second hand is fine with me. I'm more than happy with that. I'm keeping an eye on eBay for local sales.  A kind Basschater has offered to help as well. 

Good to know that not all Telecasters have chunky neck's. 

I am also going to see a physio to see what I can do to get the thumbs better and try to remove the pain. 

Rob