Why become a member? ×

U2 at the The Sphere Las Vegas

kevin_lindsay

46 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Like so many other bands maybe they'd get less contempt if they'd bowed out while they were still under 40 and at the top of their game.

I totally agree. On your 40th birthday the music police should come to your house and confiscate all your music equipment and spotify should ban you from listening to any new music from that point on to accelerate your transformation to an old git! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

I totally agree. On your 40th birthday the music police should come to your house and confiscate all your music equipment and spotify should ban you from listening to any new music from that point on to accelerate your transformation to an old git! 

Like in Logan's Run...a musical 'Last Day' :)

"Carousel...begins....."

:)

• Haha 1

U2 are all well aware of the contradiction of being uber-wealthy and encouraging everyone to give and share.

By contrast, how many Bono-haters on BC are aware of their massively privileged position in the world (living in a stable country, food to eat, income to spend on gear, not being bombed,  flooded, or fleeing persecution..) and actively do anything to help those elsewhere who need it?

U2 were always a political and protest(ing) band, from day one when they were skint they made it clear what they tried to stand for and used the band as a platform. From day 1.5 they were also clear in their goal to be the biggest band on the planet. 

They got where they are by a little bit of luck, a lot if self-belief,a sh!t-load of hard work and some very good songs.

So why would they  suddenly stop using the band as a platform, or stop being political, when they became famous? That would be far more hypocritical than continuing to do what they had always done.

<end of post before it becomes political >

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

'Massively privileged' ??  Many people I know have to work bl00dy hard in underpaid but essential jobs just to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table with little to spare for 'gear', holidays etc. At the end of long taxing days they barely have time for their own kids let alone anyone else. Besides, ordinary people here have little of practical use they can offer to people in troubled countries unless they're medics, emergency services workers and the like

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

U2 are all well aware of the contradiction of being uber-wealthy and encouraging everyone to give and share.

Indeed!

However, it's difficult to take lectures on poverty seriously from someone who spent $1700 flying a forgotten hat first class to Italy...

1 hour ago, TimR said:

It's easy to forget that turning on a tap to have clean water isn't normal to a huge number of people. 

Many people in Britain haven't forgotten, which is why Water Aid UK is one of the best supported charities, with revenues over £90m.  Many ordinary people on ordinary incomes do what they can with limited resources and time to help those less fortunate elsewhere. It's just that many celebrities with great lifestyles are considerably more wealthy and have vast amounts of money that can be used for good causes. 

U2 aren't to my taste (and Bono's vox sound worse than ever in that vid), but those visuals are something else and the venue looks amazing. I'd really consider a trip out there to see a show if there was an artist on that I liked.

Has anyone checked out any other vids of the show? The one posted by the OP looks beautiful, but my first thought was I'd be annoyed paying all of that money to watch a big TV with tiny specs of dust beneath it. Looks like the band were on the screen for the majority of the gig 

Even better than the real thing (11.17) and Mysterious ways (5.09) look great.