Why become a member? ×

When is a MM SUB not a SUB? When it is a Bongo.

Owen

I picked up some Bongo electronics. I have owned some (!) Bongos in the past but found them uncomfortable when seated. But I loved the electronics.

Our own @Manton Customs did the routing work and all that malarky. New scratchplate, control cavity, battery and pickups. The control knobs are all sorts of wrong, but I will source some better ones.

The before pictures are here.

Share my joy.

MM1.jpg

MM2.jpg

• Like 17

MORE ROOM TO SLAP!!!!!! That is not going to happen.

I have not actually had a chance to plug it in yet but from what I recall of Bongos, you are correct. I had to put the Vol/Bal on a dual concentric otherwise it would be a 4-pot plate. I like a front-loaded jack socket.

35 minutes ago, sprocketflup said:

Having never had a chance to pay a Bongo, and I mean this in the nice way, what is special about the Bongo electrics?

They are just super grunty. I realise that that is a super subjective way of putting it, and pretty meaningless really as anything could be grunty given enough gain at the front end. They have clarity and a cut which is quite unlike anything else I have tried. Like a full-throated roar if needed. When I say clarity I am not talking about shiny high frequencies. Wow, tone words! They mean nothing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Owen said:

They are just super grunty. I realise that that is a super subjective way of putting it, and pretty meaningless really as anything could be grunty given enough gain at the front end. They have clarity and a cut which is quite unlike anything else I have tried. Like a full-throated roar if needed. When I say clarity I am not talking about shiny high frequencies. Wow, tone words! They mean nothing!

Tone words mean nothing?! I feel like I'm understanding you more clearly than I do many people!