Why become a member? ×

All the colours of a rainbow

BillyBass

Sort of.

I like shiny bright coloured basses.  When the collection got to 10 following the purchase of the gold/yellow/cream Reverend, I realised I nearly had a rainbow of basses, so I arranged them in colour frequency order in my rack.

Anyone else got some bright and shiny basses to show off?

IMG_0911.jpeg

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Well that's a way of recommending why you need a significant number of basses.  How about collecting pantones?

I had to look up 'pantones'

But yes, 1867 different colours, that's more basses than even Geddy Lee has.  My missus draws the line at 10 basses and so do I.  I practise most days and gig, roughly twice a month so I do get to use these but some gather more dust than others.  

Any new basses will have to have an appropriate colour, look good, feel good to play and I'll have to keep a one in one out policy.  I'm temporarily bass gas free but lets see how long that lasts.

Amazing! I had a similar realisation recently but I’m not quite at that level; you look like you’re getting on for a double rainbow!

I have a matte gold bass on the way which will be yellow if I squint and a super-faded black bass that in some lights I like to pretend is indigo. It’s not.

This is as close as I get:

IMG_7929.thumb.jpeg.1d5a4961c8a3abd1fdefd1a63c77408b.jpeg

• Like 2

Those are some nice basses!  Colour wise, that Blue Ray and fireglo Ric are really nice.  None of my collection are as expensive as yours.  My dearest bass was £899.  Though I put John East pre amps in my £699 Charvels , so I suppose they count as being my dearest.  

G&L do a purple Wunkay, Andertons had one on a deal a few years ago, and I was tempted but ultimately, it was snapped up by another Basschat member.

Edited by BillyBass

Thanks! They’ve taken a while to assemble and involved a fair amount of gear sales and classifieds scouring, although a few are new and represent career milestones. I was just trying to avoid having basses the same colour but that turned into a bit of a rainbow.

How do you find the John East preamp? I’ve been curious. The only non-stock preamp I have is the fretted Fender jazz but I like tinkering.

Haha, it’s probably best I don’t see that purple Wunkay. Or any other indigo/purple bass for that matter.

You won't find more versatile pre amps than the John East stuff.  Adjustable mids, bright switch, passive override, with a tone control; I've not seen better.  The downside is that they are quite gainy and even with the internal trim dial wound fully anti clockwise the gain is very high.  I often have to switch my Charvels to passive when gigging, particularly when using pedals.

• Thanks 1

On 01/10/2023 at 19:27, admiralchew said:

That’s very helpful, thanks. I like pedals a lot so it’s helpful to know about the high gain. Still very tempting though!

Mr Chew, 'I like pedals a lot' maybe considered an understatement by some, especially seeing your mammoth board on here recently 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jimbobothy said:

Mr Chew, 'I like pedals a lot' maybe considered an understatement by some, especially seeing your mammoth board on here recently 😁

Haha, fair point. I just really like basses and pedals, both for what they do and aesthetically. They can be things of real beauty. That’s one of the reasons I really like @BillyBass’s rainbow collection.

With apologies for derailing the thread, on the pedal front, I’m hoping to put together several boards and will put them on Basschat when they’re done. I’ve been periodically adding to this too to keep a record of some fantastic pedals:  https://www.instagram.com/admiralchew/

Sadly, basses and pedals don’t make up for my lack of musical talent.

Edited by admiralchew
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, admiralchew said:

Haha, fair point. I just really like basses and pedals, both for what they do and aesthetically. They can be things of real beauty. That’s one of the reasons I really like @BillyBass’s rainbow collection.

With apologies for derailing the thread, on the pedal front, I’m hoping to put together several boards and will put them on Basschat when they’re done. I’ve been periodically adding to this too to keep a record of some fantastic pedals:  https://www.instagram.com/admiralchew/

Sadly, basses and pedals don’t make up for my lack of musical talent.

I've just been looking at your pedals on instagram; that is quite a collection, or perhaps was.  I see you have been flogging a few to fund an upcoming wedding.

I've been a bit of a Jam pedals fanboy in the past, mainly because of their appearance, I will admit.  Hand painted pedals!  With some of yours though, I couldn't bear to put velcro on the bottom of them.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2023 at 20:59, Piers_Williamson said:

Well that's a way of recommending why you need a significant number of basses.  How about collecting pantones?

Mmm.... Thats an expensive way to collect basses.... Mind you doing a 'simple' rainbow isn't cheap :)

For people who aren't in the colour business, Pantone is a standardised way of 'doing' colour. So you don't say it's 'orange', or even use a hex colour, but Pantone 6017 C which looks like a carrot colour. The advantage of this is that brands state their colours in the brand catalogue as Pantone 'X' and Pantone 'Y' and so ensure that the right colour is actually used and printed all the way through. There are thousands of Pantone colours.

There was a bit of a mess when Pantone recently (which is a commercial company) started asking $15/month to use Pantone colours in Photoshop. Until that point it had been free. Suddenly you had an extra $180/year fees to do what you did for nothing in PhotoShop the previous day.

Pantone also does a colour of the year, which this year is Viva Magenta 18-1750, which I quite like.

I'm a lot more IT than design, I know my way around PS and Illustrator, but worked in national newspapers for a long time which is why this sort of stuff is interesting to me (and probably only me).

Thanks for reading, off to get my anorak, I'll close the door on my way out.

Rob

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Mmm.... Thats an expensive way to collect basses.... Mind you doing a 'simple' rainbow isn't cheap :)

For people who aren't in the colour business, Pantone is a standardised way of 'doing' colour. So you don't say it's 'orange', or even use a hex colour, but Pantone 6017 C which looks like a carrot colour. The advantage of this is that brands state their colours in the brand catalogue as Pantone 'X' and Pantone 'Y' and so ensure that the right colour is actually used and printed all the way through. There are thousands of Pantone colours.

There was a bit of a mess when Pantone recently (which is a commercial company) started asking $15/month to use Pantone colours in Photoshop. Until that point it had been free. Suddenly you had an extra $180/year fees to do what you did for nothing in PhotoShop the previous day.

Pantone also does a colour of the year, which this year is Viva Magenta 18-1750, which I quite like.

I'm a lot more IT than design, I know my way around PS and Illustrator, but worked in national newspapers for a long time which is why this sort of stuff is interesting to me (and probably only me).

Thanks for reading, off to get my anorak, I'll close the door on my way out.

Rob

You learn something new every day!

On 01/10/2023 at 11:25, BillyBass said:

G&L do a purple Wunkay, Andertons had one on a deal a few years ago, and I was tempted but ultimately, it was snapped up by another Basschat member. *

G&L did a purple wunkay, sorry, the current colour choices are natural, baccy burst, blueburst, matcha green.

On 01/10/2023 at 15:00, admiralchew said:

Haha, it’s probably best I don’t see that purple Wunkay. *

01_all.thumb.jpg.756e9b8120f31eaa82d201de15efc88f.jpg

* Who, me? 😈

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, neepheid said:

G&L did a purple wunkay, sorry, the current colour choices are natural, baccy burst, blueburst, matcha green.

* Who, me? 😈

If thats not putting napalm on the fire, no idea what is :) I do like it though.

Rob

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

* Who, me? 😈

I thought it was you but I wasn't 100% sure!  G&L! Why? and Reverend too, why stop producing purple Triads?  

6 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Right dull, drab lot I've got.

EDA900upscale.thumb.jpg.7cd473136c7b50aab0dcc728f25e887e.jpgsbvfull1200.thumb.jpg.99db9217fe1c8e11135976fcaa99c868.jpgRV4_001.thumb.jpg.e1b74db3428badf44b91e5696a6bb2f1.jpgMMV7resize02.thumb.jpg.26bcd49fdc30ff69a360abb6a15f4cb4.jpgb2a01.thumb.jpg.9c9cfd7c85c4d15bba4a90b11b655f82.jpgPE02.thumb.jpg.ff1740c1ffdc8864fcd9d93ef6173c78.jpg

Think there needs to be a green San Dimas P/J in my future.

Oh wow!  Fantastic photos too!  

I think my green San Dimas P/J is probably my favourite bass, though the Reverend and Spector are up there too. 

2 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I thought it was you but I wasn't 100% sure!  G&L! Why? and Reverend too, why stop producing purple Triads?  

Yeah, I would have 100% had the purpleburst Triad if it were available when I bought mine.  Korina burst was the next best thing - the Alpine burst one with the maple fingerboard looked a bit daft to me, like the neck was there by accident.

• Like 1

No, I usually buy all black basses, though I do have one in sunburst finish, one of my least favorite finishes, but the only finish that particular model comes in, and my first ever bass, which I still own, is white, cause back then I couldn't care less about color or visual design.

I would love a dark green, a blood red, and a deep metallic purple, bass though.

I guess this with the visual mods I've done to it comes closest to rainbow colored (at least green and red, and some purple in the background as well):

image.thumb.png.d96293f862dd8957e6d7ccd5f3e71979.png

Edit!!!: Oh, wait forgot that I actually long ago decorated that white bass I mentioned with star stickers in red, blue and green metallic colors, a green tape stripe, and a red tone knob (and that it actually still looks like this):

image.thumb.png.d53a70674063fce0e112e7b7d5015c8b.png

And then there is this one I made (with some help from an AI program that allows for mixing characteristics from one image with a second image, and then PhotoShop):

image.thumb.png.3285e749b1e14bc7e7cebcc9ae1b55cc.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Not quite as rainbow-ish as yours @BillyBass, but mine are quite a colourful bunch!

20230601_154910.thumb.jpg.cf574b3b4f4a9087d32e7cf4950c716e.jpg

There are some serious holes in your collection there.  Where is your 11 string?

But seriously, bloody hell!  Those two ACGs in the front row🥰  That's an amazing collection.

• Like 1