Why become a member? ×

On Stage Earplugs?

Linus27

Our singer/guitarist tends to have the sound on stage really loud and is always being told he needs to turn down by sound crews. If he is doing the sound for us which is most gigs, then its always too loud and again is always being told to turn down and the front of house needs to turn down as well. We've said and others have said its all too loud but its become a bit of joke in the sense before we sound check we tell him he's too loud. However, its a losing battle so I decided to try ear plugs on Saturday night and tried the foam squidgy ones in one ear but it muted the sound too much. I have tried in-ears before but felt disconnected to the live sound so is there any better ear plugs I could try before I revisit in-ears?

• Like 1

Before we switched to using in-ears I used to use something like these. I'm very sensitive to high frequencies, especially our drummer's china cymbal! and these tamed those high frequencies for me while still being able to hear most things. They're not ideal and in-ears are definitely a lot better for me but at least I could still hear on the way home from a gig

ETY-Plugs-Standard-fit-4.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

Get some made properly by ACS. They will fit your ears perfectly and you can swap the filters in them for different attenuation levels.

The attenuation will be pretty flat too - just like having a lower volume.

Your singer is killing his hearing. You'll be needing a new one at some point.

His hearing is already shot and he knows it but there's no winning this one and has been getting worse over the last few years of gigging. I'm super precious about my hearing and look after it as much as I possibly can which is why my hearing is so good still. I'm also super sensitive to high frequencies and loud volumes.

I like the idea of having different filters, this sounds like a winner.

• Like 2

If his hearing is shot then him swapping to in ears to have a perfect but quieter mix for him could save him loads of even worse trouble.

The ACS process is great. You buy, you get a voucher. You book in at a local authorised place - often in a Boots Chemist and get the ear impressions done. They send them off and a few weeks later they arrive in the post.

I have Pro17 and Pro26 filters as they are the flattest options. I usually wear the Pro26 if I'm anywhere near a drummer.

Another recommendation for ACS custom moulds. They’re brilliant. Pop them in 15 mins before and you’ll adjust a little bit more to them. I would buy them if I were you even if the guitarist wasn’t loud. 

although if the guitarist is being told to turn down at every gig, I would be having a serious conversation about this. I’ve been in a band with overly loud guitarist and it ended up being a bit embarrassing having someone so defiant to be loud. I get certain genres like to be mega loud and my band now are in no ways quiet but gotta be able to hear all the instruments! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If his hearing is shot then him swapping to in ears to have a perfect but quieter mix for him could save him loads of even worse trouble.

The ACS process is great. You buy, you get a voucher. You book in at a local authorised place - often in a Boots Chemist and get the ear impressions done. They send them off and a few weeks later they arrive in the post.

I have Pro17 and Pro26 filters as they are the flattest options. I usually wear the Pro26 if I'm anywhere near a drummer.

He used to use in-ears but that still didn't stop the front of house being too loud and in turn this bleeds onto the stage as if we are standing next to one of the PA speakers, then my left ear gets most of it. I think the sound has creeped up as he has stopped using the in-ears in the last years or so. 

So I have just ordered the ACS Pacato 16 which is a universal fit but does have a filter and gives a lower attenuation and flatter response. They were only a tenner so if I get on with them then I'll then get the Pro series custom fit ones.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jrixn1 said:

If you are currently or previously a professional musician etc (there is an eligibility list - I don't know how/if they check...), you can get ACS Pro Series for £50:  https://www.helpmusicians.org.uk/get-support/physical-health/protect-your-hearing

Ooohh thank you very much, that is super handy.

• Like 1

I had a set of the ACS plugs for years, they were great. Then one night I left them in a taxi!

When I came to replace them a few years ago, I asked for recommendations and lots of people said Read Audio custom plugs. So I went ahead with those. I have to say, I don't find them as good, or anywhere near as comfortable as my old ACS plugs. The ACS plugs are relatively soft so they move and change shape with your ear canal as you open and close your mouth to sing etc. They are also smooth, and slide into your ears easily. The Read Audio plugs are made of a much harder material with virtually no give whatsoever and they are also rough textured and much harder to put in.

I'm glad this thread popped up, it reminds me to get another set of ACS plugs.

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

He used to use in-ears but that still didn't stop the front of house being too loud and in turn this bleeds onto the stage as if we are standing next to one of the PA speakers, then my left ear gets most of it. I think the sound has creeped up as he has stopped using the in-ears in the last years or so. 

So I have just ordered the ACS Pacato 16 which is a universal fit but does have a filter and gives a lower attenuation and flatter response. They were only a tenner so if I get on with them then I'll then get the Pro series custom fit ones.

Unfortunately the Pacato versions didn't fit my ears. Apparently my ear canals are a bit too big.

The 16 attenuation level is quite low so the noise might still be too loud, but at least it will give you a good idea. The full custom ones are great - speech comes through fine and the loud stuff is limited. They are very clever indeed.

36 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Unfortunately the Pacato versions didn't fit my ears. Apparently my ear canals are a bit too big.

The 16 attenuation level is quite low so the noise might still be too loud, but at least it will give you a good idea. The full custom ones are great - speech comes through fine and the loud stuff is limited. They are very clever indeed.

Thanks @fretmeister for your help, I will see how I get on. Thank you for your help and everyone else's help.

• Like 3

Another +1 for the ACS custom.

I also need to get some new ones. I lost a 26 filter in the summer and have been using the 15’s that I had spare in the Pacato, but they don’t give as much sound reduction as I would like.

I did think about buying a set of replacement 26 filters, but my plugs are at least 4 years old now and it’s prob time for a new mould.

• Like 1

Looks like a losing battle with the guitar player, but is his amp pointing at his calves. Get him a stand so it leans vack and aims at his head. 

Did a PA this weekend and guitarist in one of the bands couldn't hear his Marshall jcm 100. It was 2ft behind him pointing straight at the back of his legs. 🤔

• Like 3

The main reason Ive packed it all in. Dr's will tell u never ever "squirt" noise into ur ears and Im including in ears too.   If I do a gig now its with those purple, industrial 30 dec plugs with a spare set in a top pocket and I care not a jot if I cant really hear the all of the frequencys. My hearing is way more important than the show.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greavesbass said:

The main reason Ive packed it all in. Dr's will tell u never ever "squirt" noise into ur ears and Im including in ears too.   If I do a gig now its with those purple, industrial 30 dec plugs with a spare set in a top pocket and I care not a jot if I cant really hear the all of the frequencys. My hearing is way more important than the show.

That was kind of me on Saturday night, more concerned for my hearing than the show.

• Like 3

ACS Pro (17 and 26 filters) plugs for me.

Most of the guys I know, who do not use hearing protection, are well on the way to hearing aids. . . . most of them are guitarists!

The guys with sense, bass players and drummers, are nearly all using proper protection.

• Like 4

The problem with plugs, ear protection, etc is that either the whole band has to use them or nobody. I don't like them personally - they make me feel isolated from what's going on, but I have to use them sometimes in self-defence. My preferred option is that nobody uses them and we keep onstage levels reasonable and let the FOH do the heavy lifting. Once one person, especially the guitard, wears them and turns up so he can hear himself, everything goes to hell in a handcart very quickly.

• Like 2

I depped in a hubby and wifey lead, 60's tribute outfit couple yrs back, they were all in their 70's and kinda decrepit but very good. Four part harmonies, the works and he and the singer/guitarist were both playing small classic Fender Combos. Jeez what a flippin piercing racket...It isnt just the heavy stuff that can do you for, Thank goodness I had my plugs with me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

. . . . they make me feel isolated from what's going on. . . .

That's what it's like to be going deaf, and there's no coming back from that!

IMO any downsides from hearing protection is a small price to pay for playing in a band AND keeping your hearing.

• Like 7

used these last week, a revelation and no hearing damage at the end of the gig ( everything out of tune usually) £85 quid all in including the ear buds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BY6MH97W?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TR39Y9H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

plugs.jpg

radio.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, ASC Pro17's get my vote as well. I must have used them for the last 15 years both playing, rehearsing and attending gigs. 👍

Just finished rehearsing tonight with a bunch of very talented musicians that I've been with for 2 years. Unfortunately I'm seriously considering giving it up. 😢 I can see so much potential to take the band from "good" to "excellent" by working on the sound, both the balance, dynamics and overall volume levels. However only the singer is appreciating what I'm proposing. Her husband, one of the guitarists, has serious hearing loss in one ear and is refusing / ignoring / "still in teenager mode" as far as volume, guitar tone and sound levels are concerned. The last few songs we played tonight I mimed. Yep, I turned my bass down to 0 and pretended to play along.......no-one noticed and I even asked the other guitarist how the overall sound of the songs were....."Great" was the reply and then I told him I'd mimed.......😲 I asked myself "If they couldn't hear a difference, do they need a bass player?"

Sorry for the grumble....back to the OP....I use ACS to protect my hearing but feel in some situations I shouldnt need to. I find that many of my peers have hearing loss and play louder to compensate.....thus compounding their hearing loss so then they turn up more :facepalm: The usual response is "We used to play this loud in the 70's". No you didn't because the gear you're now using is twice as powerful with more headroom and the old WEM 3x10 PA columns maxed out at 50w per side wouldn't allow the vocals to go higher.

I've been playing for over 40 years now and am tired of the "quantity over quality" being dictated by ego's. But then, is it just MY ego that's saying "my way is the right way?"  🤣🤣

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2