Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky metroexpress 1st generation

Brian18242

As they are currently heavily discounted I decided to pick one of these up. What a mistake!!

Even it £400+ the quality is shocking! Sharp fret edges, nut broken, and arrived with no set up.

Still amazed these basses made it to market with such little QC.

It's going straight back and I will wait for the reviews of the new line.

What's your experiences?

I have a '20 black/maple J/J five string which has had to have the frets levelled as a couple were high. I got it from BAX music for a couple of hundred less than the going rate at the time. I did start a returns process with BAX but decided to stick with it and get the work done as nothing else was wrong with the bass at all. 

Fast forward to now and I've got a hybrid P/J five string due in the early part of this week. I certainly won't be as accommodating if it turns up with issues. Fingers crossed it's one of the later ones. 

• Like 1

No it's one of the discounted stock but my understanding is there were improvements made on subsequent runs from when they were first rush released and appeared as a total mess. Low end lobster documented some of the improvements on his you tube videos and I know that peeps on here who bought later ones were pleased with theirs. iirc Bass Agent bought a green four and a five and was happy gigging his. Others too if you look through the posts.  It's on the big Sadowsky Metro Express thread. 

I'm sincerely hoping I get a later one. I ordered a tobacco burst P/J five with the morado fretboard. I'll be returning it if it needs anything beyond a set up (which I do for all my basses anyway)

I do think that IF it's issue free, these are great five string basses for £475. Even without the VTC to my ears the bass has a great core tone. The jump in output from passive to active makes it an almost unusable feature/selling point but I just leave mine in active all the time.

Shame about yours. Guess I'm taking a gamble with these blowout remaining stock but hopefully it pays off. Fingers crossed, will let you know. 

Edited by dub_junkie

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

Well, I actually ordered two at the time (a 4 string and this one) and they were equally good. So lucky twice?

You received these for a review in De Bassist and kept them afterwards, if I'm not mistaken? Playing the devil's advocate here: Maybe they sent you two that stood out? :lol:

19 hours ago, Brian18242 said:

I'm interested in the price of the new 2023 range. Yes, improvements have been made (minimal as far as I can see) but if they come in at £800+ forget about it 😆

They're selling in the neighbourhood of $1100 at Sweetwater in the US, so I'd expect them to be in the region of £900 if that translates from the current exchange rate, which is Fender Player series price territory

I received my 5 string P/J a couple of days ago. 

All I needed to do was tighten the truss rod slightly (using the very cool adjustment tool provided). The fret ends are smooth on my bass.

It plays great all over the neck.

4 year warranty from the date of purchase is included too.

The bass sounds great too, and the gig bag is a cool inclusion. 

• Like 2

Well it arrived today and it has zero issues. Frets are fine, no preamp noise, everything as it should be and a nice light, weight. Plays great and sounds sweet  Really happy with this one from the off.

However.... it was shipped without the gig case. Came inside four boxes - An outer shipping box, then a Framus/Warwick/Sadowsky shipping box with two further boxes inside. No Sadowsky Porta Bag gig case anywhere to be seen so phoned them and told them it should have been included. They told me they'll look into it and get back to me. Not happy that they could ship it not including the gig case. 

However I'm trying to be content that the bass is as I hoped.

20230919_203338.thumb.jpg.97015283ff8e849d7dbabdf1db2e6da0.jpg

20230919_203431.thumb.jpg.b56ec21da7eda2ddf242bfec53977650.jpg

20230919_203506.thumb.jpg.3a99b9c2c682dddf4ae36f45eed99ca8.jpg

20230919_203517.thumb.jpg.167d3c9ad6bef61c18d45367c177203b.jpg

20230919_203442.thumb.jpg.7f0dd26ebe8de426dec74eba03e1154d.jpg

20230920_002712.thumb.jpg.fa563910f0ea4391b64e7937b08449ff.jpg

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Like 4

On 15/09/2023 at 10:17, Brian18242 said:

As they are currently heavily discounted I decided to pick one of these up. What a mistake!!

Even it £400+ the quality is shocking! Sharp fret edges, nut broken, and arrived with no set up.

Still amazed these basses made it to market with such little QC.

It's going straight back and I will wait for the reviews of the new line.

What's your experiences?

My experience was similar to yours. Dreadful ’finish’ on the frets with razor sharp edges and hopeless set up. The machine heads were tarnished too.

The only thing I liked about the package was the gig bag! That was good quality.

Sent mine back for a refund.

• Like 1

Mmmm, I love the idea of matching basses, Fretless and fretted, same colour, spec, twins. These basses would rip my wallet of the thick end of  grand. But, 34”, a bit of negativity. So, I have a Peavey Cirrus, I tried to chase down a matching bass I could de fret. So what I did do was buy a Peavey ‘grind’, more or less the same spec as my cirrus, I will have it defretted., it’s black, I like black, my man said he could make the lines only visible to me! Total cost for both and a De fret, £900.00, both Neck Through, 35” scale. I have all the effects should the grind sound ‘not good’. The Cirrus is (IMO) as good as any other NT… At this price point I’m winning.

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 2