Why become a member? ×

Bass lessons for youngsters

stewblack

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Ok so ... anyone here from Yeovil teach?

Not bass that I know of, although there is a very good guitar teacher for young kids. However, can look for bass teacher - I would suspect that the guys at Yeovil Guitars will know the people

• Thanks 1

Is 8 too young??

There are loads of videos on YouTube of kids playing bass to a high standard.

Some are at such a standard that many of us would be embarrassed to follow them on stage. 

Start 'em early and hope that they don't find a different hobby which is even more expensive. 

I don't think 8 is too young but you definitely want a teacher who can tailor lessons for that age. Recently I took on a 10 year old student for drumming and previous to this the youngest I've taught was 16. What a difference! Took me by surprise a bit but we've soon adapted and it's going well. The kid is very keen, definitely a natural born drummer (wants to hit and destroy everything), but short attention span, and surprisingly considering I'm not young and he is, not much stamina. I guess every kid will be different but also it seems very different from teaching an adult.

PS I was looking to give inspiration to the youngster by suggesting drummers from the past to listen to. I was thinking about drummers that you could learn from technically like Steve Gadd. The drummer that inspired him the most to practice... Keith Moon playing an acrylic kit with gold fish in it. I'm not sure what kind of drumming monster I might have unleashed!

• Like 2