Why become a member? ×

Basschat Straplocks, chapter 2

Piers_Williamson

This might be addressed by Ped, or the wider knowledgeable and practical end of readers.....As the proud owner of a number of Ped's fantastic straplocks, I find the top screw in my fender jazz gently comes loose over time.  No problem with my trusty Swiss Army Knife phillips screwdriver to hand at a gig (so long as I have it with me), but is there an alternative solution?  I really don't want to clog my beloved Fender CS with glue!  Perhaps I should be more Bill Wymanesq at gigs!

A luthier told me the other day that you can delicately wick a bit of low viscosity super glue into the hole for the strap button screws and it'll strengthen the wood, helping to prevent it from tearing out. Then, as above, a bit of thread lock should stop any movement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I use a bits of toothpick/cocktail stick or if I haven't got any, a piece of matchstick to pop in the screw hole and then insert the screw again. It's worked for me so far over all the years I've been playing. 

This. I have several small bits of matchstick in my gig bag just in case. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I use a bits of toothpick/cocktail stick or if I haven't got any, a piece of matchstick to pop in the screw hole and then insert the screw again. It's worked for me so far over all the years I've been playing. 

I do this but with some wood glue as well. Haven’t had one fail yet. 

• Like 3

On 27/08/2023 at 17:36, Piers_Williamson said:

I really don't want to clog my beloved Fender CS with glue! 

Unfortunately, as others have said. 

A small amount of wood glue and some wood (matchstick or other), and start again is the way to go. It's what everyone does. 

• Like 1