Why become a member? ×

Strange Mosrite-backer 12-string bass from China

NikNik

26 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

2-3 MONTH delivery but if you are unhappy return it... within 3 days!  :)  

Love that all the sets of strings anchor through 1 hole/retainer.

Looking again at that, one of the D strings isn't making contact with the back of the tailpiece, which may indicate that this bass isn't even tuned to pitch. In fact, I'm convinced that you can see the slack in the strings.

Edited by NikNik

2 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Small matter and some manufacturers offer it as an option but the 'bass' string being the bottom of the 3 in a set is not the easiest way to finger/fret, as you have to rotate your finger over the thick string to fret the octave strings.

You mean the way that every manufacturer of 8, 10, and 12 string basses does it is wrong?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=12-string+bass&iax=images&ia=images

The bridge saddles are rather odd. The bass string is central and the octave strings are to the left of it (or above it, depending on your perspective) rather than the first octave being central and the bass and second octave being either side of it.

That strange horn arrangement made me think it was a leftie at first.

44 minutes ago, tauzero said:

You mean the way that every manufacturer of 8, 10, and 12 string basses does it is wrong?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=12-string+bass&iax=images&ia=images

For some reason I was thinking it was the same as my Musicvox which was inverted but as you say this is the correct way and the inverted way makes it harder to play as you need to flatten your finger to press the octaves.  

13 minutes ago, sprocketflup said:

By the look of it, those smaller tuners would foul each other when winding on

I don't think so - look at the A strings on the rear view. The tuners for the octave strings are pointing at each other, so at their closes approach, and there's still a bit of space between them. Fiddly but not impossible.