Why become a member? ×

Bit of a Rant, where now?

How1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

Forget about being picky about the music.

Go and play with everyone and anyone you can find. Play every style of music.

Become selective in a year or so.

No be picky about the sort of music you want to play. There's nothing worse than having something you should love being ruined because you can't stand the songs you are playing.

• Like 4

I started playing again after 18yrs away at ripe old age of 52 and i've never been busier. Currently in 2 bands. A 70's Glam Rock covers band and the other a classic 70's Punk covers band.

I started off with a Deep Purple tribute band i found thru Join My Band and have used Bandmix and even Gumtree for local bands looking for a bass player. From there it was more word of mouth thru people i've met doing the tribute circuits.

I'm now 63 and loving the fact i'm having good success with the Glam band and the Punk band is ticking over to fill in the gaps. Not out every weekend but its slowly getting closer to that. Have some weekends where i'm doing 2 gigs but we try to avoid that. 

You need to make the effort to seek out bands looking for a bass player. Its easier if the band is already formed but starting from scratch still works but takes a bit longer to get out gigging if everyone has to learn the full set list.

My advice is have a look at Join My Band, Bandmix, Gumtree and even Facebook has a musicians wanted page now.

Good luck with it but if you put the effort in the rewards will come.

Most of all you need to enjoy the band you're in. Don't just settle for the first band. Use it to get experience and get known. If you are good, reliable and a likeable personality bands will be keen to take you on.

Dave, 

EDIT :- one thing i forgot to mention is that in the last 11 yrs i've taken on any kind of music from Rock, Blues, Funk Rock, Celtic rock, pop, tributes up to my current Glam and Punk bands. My background is Heavy Rock / Prog and never thought i would play in a punk band but its really exciting and powerful and a lot harder than many would expect. For me that was all experience and helped me become a better player.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

No be picky about the sort of music you want to play. There's nothing worse than having something you should love being ruined because you can't stand the songs you are playing.

At this point, try everything. Then will you be able to make better choices. You have plenty of time to decide what you like and don't like and you might meet someone who will make you see things differently, and maybe change your mind.

It's too early to put on blinkers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

At this point, try everything. Then will you be able to make better choices. You have plenty of time to decide what you like and don't like and you might meet someone who will make you see things differently, and maybe change your mind.

I find the blinkers have always made me more focused.

In the end it depends what the OP wants out of being in a band, and whether playing any music and being in a band is preferable to continuing as they are not being in a band but creating their own music. It also depends on whether earning money from playing in a band is an important consideration.

As an example: I have a creative/artistic day job - working in graphic design for print. But because it is my primary source of income I will take on pretty much anything no matter how dull it might be from a creative PoV and AFAIAC the customer/client is the boss. I'm currently working on a massive book project that has been going on for over 2 years now and will probably continue at least until the end of this one, if not longer. I don't find the subject matter particularly interesting, a lot of the design work is a bit of a slog, and the client/author can be a pain and often very demanding, but right now it is almost 50% of my monthly income, so I knuckle down and get on with it and relish the more interesting jobs I am able to fit in around it. However I couldn't be like that about the music I play - I have to 100% invested in it, to want to be in a band. Luckily I'm in 2 right now that satisfy those requirements. Maybe if I was earning enough money out of playing, writing and recording music I could afford to be a bit more flexible about what I play/write/record, but until that happens I'll carry on just doing music I really like.

So, without more input from the OP we're all just guessing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

Blinkers kept me in a blues rock band for years until it folded. Then one of the band suggested playing a set of Abba/funk/disco stuff and I gave it a go. What a revelation - songs that I would never normally listen to other than on the radio were so much more fun to play. Interesting and challenging basslines, great songs and some good gigs. I'm still not a die hard fan of Abba/funk/disco music in general, but I'm glad I widened my horizons. 

• Like 5

I guess a lot depends on personality. There's people that like music "in general", just with some preferences, and people that find a lot of the music being recorded plain tedious.

My guitar player and my drimmer when I was a teenager were I believe extremely talented for their age. When I had to stop for a long period for tendinitis they "took the opportunity" to leave our metal band and join a prog band, while also doing some serious studying and working toward a career in music.

Within a year or so they were both making a living with some tribute/function bands. The drummer went on to become a session man. The guitar player, who on top of being talented had very good family connections and we were all expecting to do well, hated it so much that he dropped everything, became a psychologist, and just focused on his prog band with zero earning potential, doing gigs in front of not very many people.

• Like 1

I'd just add that open mic/jam nights don't have to be about intimidating improvisation from the word go - you can start by learning a few 'staples' and asking the hosts if you can sit in with them if they know them (and even if they don't*)...it's a good way to start, and you'll make some good connections...

* I co-host a good jam night with some great musicians, so I'm on the hop a good deal, but that's largely accommodating people who want to get up and say 'Do you know...?', so it's out with the iPad if we don't and often the person getting up knows it better than us...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

Blinkers kept me in a blues rock band for years until it folded. Then one of the band suggested playing a set of Abba/funk/disco stuff and I gave it a go. What a revelation - songs that I would never normally listen to other than on the radio were so much more fun to play. Interesting and challenging basslines, great songs and some good gigs. I'm still not a die hard fan of Abba/funk/disco music in general, but I'm glad I widened my horizons. 

Love this. Not your original choice of music to listen to but just great fun to play. I'd have this over playing boring songs that i might listen too at home.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

So, without more input from the OP we're all just guessing.

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know it was mostly in my head!

I'm not interested in making any money from music. I think ultimately that would pretty much be a pipe dream, so anything I'm doing is purely for the fun of it. I'm happy carrying on working on my own stuff and working with the guitarist, maybe something will come of it, but would like to play with a band basically, whether it's that stuff or something else. I'm relatively open to the kind of music I'd be playing. There are time constraints like work/family etc to consider though, so that is gonna narrow things down a bit...

Edited by How1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Love this. Not your original choice of music to listen to but just great fun to play. I'd have this over playing boring songs that i might listen too at home.

And still not my choice of music to listen to other than to learn the styles. But yes, so much fun to play. A particular eye opener was the Abba stuff. I'd heard it, of course, and everyone says how good Benny and Bjorn were at writing, but only when I started listening carefully did I realise how complex the arrangements were and how cleverly they were crafted to end up sounding simple. And some great bass lines. I learnt how to play the classic disco octave riff so that I could play Does Your Mother Know and Gimme Gimme Gimme. Now I slip it in to other songs if we're having a laugh.

Sadly that band didn't last for various personnel reasons but the trio I'm with now are getting a lot of pressure from me to play Does Your Mother Know and Waterloo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, How1 said:

There are time constraints like work/family etc to consider though, so that is gonna narrow things down a bit...

Same for a lot of folk, getting together with others is often like trying to nail a jelly to a wall, or herding cats. However, people find a way to make it work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

And still not my choice of music to listen to other than to learn the styles. But yes, so much fun to play. A particular eye opener was the Abba stuff. I'd heard it, of course, and everyone says how good Benny and Bjorn were at writing, but only when I started listening carefully did I realise how complex the arrangements were and how cleverly they were crafted to end up sounding simple. And some great bass lines. I learnt how to play the classic disco octave riff so that I could play Does Your Mother Know and Gimme Gimme Gimme. Now I slip it in to other songs if we're having a laugh.

Sadly that band didn't last for various personnel reasons but the trio I'm with now are getting a lot of pressure from me to play Does Your Mother Know and Waterloo.

We do Waterloo in the Glam covers band and like you i had no idea how good the bass lines were until trying them. One of my fav songs to play in the set.

Don't think the band were given the credit they deserved. 

Dave

• Like 1

You’re never too old! 

I picked up a bass for the very first time in Nov/Dec 2021 at the age of 56. Practiced at home every day, got bad GAS, bought amps and basses, then thought I should venture out. My first outing was to a local monthly jam in October 2022, and I didn’t take a bass, too scared, I lurked in the background and sussed it out. It’s a jam where there’s a setlist/book on a table to choose tunes from, and copies on stage for everyone to look at. There’s a lot of tunes in it. I took a pic of the front page list and vowed to return the following month with at least three I could play. The next time I went, I took my bass and did play on two tunes with the other musicians. Over the next few months, and keeping attending the jam, I found myself in a band with the house drummer and some other musicians from the jam, and we play gigs every month or so, sometimes two gigs, for actual money! We get along very well, and I would now call them friends. This all gave me loads of confidence, and allowed me to stretch out musically and become a better player. A few months ago I answered an ad on JMB for a bass player for a nine piece band with horn section. I auditioned and landed the job. That band is the most challenging musical experience I have ever had, really complicated stuff, but I would say that I’m swimming not drowning. 

A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.

Rob

• Like 14

1 minute ago, ossyrocks said:

You’re never too old! 

I picked up a bass for the very first time in Nov/Dec 2021 at the age of 56. Practiced at home every day, got bad GAS, bought amps and basses, then thought I should venture out. My first outing was to a local monthly jam in October 2022, and I didn’t take a bass, too scared, I lurked in the background and sussed it out. It’s a jam where there’s a setlist/book on a table to choose tunes from, and copies on stage for everyone to look at. There’s a lot of tunes in it. I took a pic of the front page list and vowed to return the following month with at least three I could play. The next time I went, I took my bass and did play on two tunes with the other musicians. Over the next few months, and keeping attending the jam, I found myself in a band with the house drummer and some other musicians from the jam, and we play gigs every month or so, sometimes two gigs, for actual money! We get along very well, and I would now call them friends. This all gave me loads of confidence, and allowed me to stretch out musically and become a better player. A few months ago I answered an ad on JMB for a bass player for a nine piece band with horn section. I auditioned and landed the job. That band is the most challenging musical experience I have ever had, really complicated stuff, but I would say that I’m swimming not drowning. 

Rob

Def this, the perfect response.

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

You’re never too old! 

Rob

Late bloomer!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, you are absolutely right, at 45 you are done!

Just look at all those famous great acts that decides to break up and retire at age 45.

I mean I can't really name any off the top of my head, but I am sure there a loads of examples...

Ah, yes, how about:

Iron Maiden, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra...

And the list goes o...

Oh, wait... They didn't, did they?

Well, that admittedly was probably not of much help, plenty of great pieces of advice and helpful suggestions in this thread already though.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 26/07/2023 at 20:46, BigRedX said:

Also this is the truth!

Music should be done out of passion and love (well ideally everything should, but we all know that that unfortunately is not how the World "we" build happens to actually work. At very least let the music stay sacred (in spite of the perversion that makes up Top 40)). 

But not only for the sake of the musicians, very much for the sake of the audience as well. 

It really does shows (listens?) if that is not actually the case.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

22 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

You’re never too old! 

Rob

And there it is.

45 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I don’t think I would play the bass unless I could be in a band !! 

I say decide what music you like and find a band that plays mostly that genre etc and go for it 

I used to think that when i was younger but work and life took priority for me and i only played at home for about 20 yrs and even then it was only occasionally maybe once or twice a week. Sold all my gear apart from my Warwick Thumb and an old HH amp and a 210 custom cab.

Have to say it never really bothered me too much that i wasn't in a band or gigging, it was just the way things developed. Not planned in any way.

I also had a 2 period when i was around 22-24 where i only practiced rather than bands. I much preferred learning Jazz Rock styles like Percy Jones, Jeff Berlin, Richard Sinclair and some others. The positive from that period was i developed a lot of styles that no-one else locally was doing and a few bands asked me to join from pop to prog and finally settling on Southern Rock style band would you believe mainly because it was just so easy to play and great fun and i could just pose on stage. Happy Days. :laugh1:

Dave 

• Like 2

I would recommend Bandmix.co.uk as a place you can get yourself and also see what's out there.

It definitely works.  I've worked with a stunningly good singer-songwriter and have joined a very quirky band after only a year of putting myself out there.  I've also been asked to audition for other acts, which I've politely declined, and got to see a good cross section of acts.

When I first signed up I was 52 and had just moved to the UK and knew no musicians at all.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2023 at 23:47, How1 said:

So after about 15 years I decided to start playing again. Skill wise I'm happy enough and picked things up after a few months and I'm happy with where I am skill wise, I actually find it easier now to pick things up and play stuff - I've even started writing a few songs. I've found myself completely out of the loop and a bit aimless though.  I thought I'd be happy at 45 just noodling and playing through some covers etc etc. but I'm not. It'd be really nice to do something more.

I don't really know any musicians any more. One of my friends plays guitar, but he's ok(ish) but the type of stuff he plays doesn't really float my boat. Every time we get together we're  playing really random stuff, like different genres every song. It's fun to some degree but it's not really working for me. How do you even get started anymore? I'm totally out of the loop and a bit disheartened. I thought it'd be nice just to pick up a bass and learn a few songs for fun, but I'm getting bored of playing with myself lol. At this age it's not like I can just 'just a band'. Or that's how it feels.

I'll sell/gift you my lot. I can even deliver them on a 'no-return' basis. 👍😆

• Haha 1

45? haha how I remember those halcyon days..haha. Did my last turn at 61 two yrs ago and packed it all in and gone back to my classical roots. My problem was the amount of 'new' music people want to play, not enough melody and good writing for my tastes, but man, you've got years ahead doing the bass thing. Go for it.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I'm 72 and moved to North Dorset almost 3 years ago from Leicestershire, where I played in 3 different bands. My original plan was to carry on playing in my old bands and drive up for gigs etc - that didn't work out  - 3.5 hours of ravelling and the A303 put paid to it!

I wouldn't say that North Dorset is a hotbed of contemporary music excellence, but I decided that I didn't want to hang up why bass on the wall quite yet. 

I posted in on my village Facebook page, you know, bass player seeks musicians to make sweet music with, and eventually got a reply from a local guy. His band just lost their bass player and they were looking for a suitable candidate. Got together with them, had a chat and a jam and it all fell into place.

Turns out to be a really cool band, some very tasty, funky original songs. I'm now playing the best gigs in my entire music career - just as I thought I was done!

The moral of my story is: don't give up, you never know what's round the next corner - and age really doesn't seem to be an issue. In my experience, If you can play the stuff, make a good sound, are physically capable of playing sometimes quite arduous gigs and get on with people, there will always be opportunities out there if you look form them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1