Why become a member? ×

Pickup positions

Dazed

I’ve seen online a graphics showing different pickup positions of popular basses - jazz, precision, mm, ricks etc - overlayed onto a bass to show in relation to one another. 
Now I’m actually looking for such a thing I can’t find it. Anyone got a link or a copy they can share?

thanks all

1 hour ago, ped said:

Here you go, Mustang is scaled to compensate. Pickup is a bit further forward. 

IMG_6272.png

Surely this image can't be correct? Mustangs are short scale so wouldn't the frets be more out of alignment compared to a long scale Precision?

1 minute ago, Sparky Mark said:

Surely this image can't be correct? Mustangs are short scale so wouldn't the frets be more out of alignment compared to a long scale Precision?

Not when you scale the bass up to match the regular scale length

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

Ah, I see.

I didn't interpret your "scaled to compensate" comment correctly (or at all). I wonder if the Mustang pup is intentionally proportionally further from the bridge compared to a P to compensate for a potentially reduced low end of short scale basses?

11 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I wonder if the Mustang pup is intentionally proportionally further from the bridge compared to a P to compensate for a potentially reduced low end of short scale basses?

In my experience, I find shorties to have more clear fundamental that long scales, certainly less overtones, and do not have less low end at all, regardless of pickup position. 

So looking at all of these, and thank you to everyone that contributed, to get a Stringray and Precision in one you would really need a triple pickup with switchable coils. It’s Google time again

3 minutes ago, Dazed said:

So looking at all of these, and thank you to everyone that contributed, to get a Stringray and Precision in one you would really need a triple pickup with switchable coils. It’s Google time again

Or reverse the P pickup so the treble half "leapfrogs" in front of the bass half 😉

12 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Simply buy this: https://www.sims.guitars/sims-bass-shop/super-quad-pickup-classic-4

26 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I’ve looked at those many times before, still wouldn’t do the job of a stingray and precision because one set of coils will always be in the wrong place, unless you had two side by side and were able to cross wire the selected coils. I think sims did a quad coil type pickup on some earlier Enfield (Cannon ?) basses that may cover enough area to do the Sray/P thing. 

Ibanez ATK seems like that may have been designed to do this very task. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f59ffc26273fdd4816bdb2d5c222fb03.jpeg