Why become a member? ×

NBD '78 Pre-EB MM Stingray

dyerseve

A very recent addition to my stable and my first ever Stingray - a '78 with an '89 neck. All the hardware, inc the tuners is from '78, just the neck was replaced at some point for some reason. Given how the neck looks though, I'm not complaining!

Loving the tones this bass puts out! Just having to adjust to my 2nd ever lacquered neck - I normally play Warwicks...

20230710_193047.jpg

20230710_193122.jpg

20230710_193054.jpg

20230710_193200.jpg

20230710_193146.jpg

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bevan7 said:

Looks like an amazing bass but let down by the confederate flag, gives off bad vibes if you know what I mean.

Thanks. Yeah the flag wasn't my choice - that's how it came.

I would love to know who thought it was a good idea to get this bass painted up like this! I would bet either Country and Western or maybe hair metal, with an outside chance of Southern rock a la Lynyrd Skynard.

I suppose you could always try arguing that the Civil War wasn't primarily about the morality of slavery and more about the conflict of two  economic systems and the fundamental dichotomy of American political system that persists to the present day between Federal authority and the rights of individual States to self-determination. It would be a hard sell, though. Might be easier just to get the bass refinished.

Looks like a nice bass and has lots of potential. Enjoy it.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

Yeah I feel the same and probably wouldn't have bought it because of that. Are you planning on having it refinished?

It's a musical instrument at the end of the day and it's paint scheme shouldn't dictate your ability to enjoy it as such.

Not planning on having it refinished as I am not bothered by the way it looks. 

Well, at the end of the day a paint scheme would dictate my ability to take a bass on stage and enjoy it to the fullest. Plus, with a paintjob like that, I think it's just as important that other people, whose family or other people they know have been affected by the politics behind this particular flag, are bothered by these looks.

Edited by BassAgent
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

This flag is flown by people who are far-right/racist.

I am neither of those and will only be playing it at home so it doesnt bother me. 

Edited by dyerseve
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

This flag is flown by people who are far-right/racist.

Well, let's make it clear that there is no suggestion from any of us that the new owner even remotely endorses those sentiments. 

The Confederate flag is taboo nowadays, but that is a fairly recent phenomenon. Particularly in the USA, that flag has a complex symbolism attached to it. For certain  sections of American society it's been an emblem of anti-establishment rebellion as much as an reference to the antebellum South. But we are living in an age where subtitles and nuance are obliterated by the need to be seen as virtuous.

If you're just playing the bass at home then fair enough. I would just be careful taking it out and playing it in public.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Misdee said:

Well, let's make it clear that there is no suggestion from any of us that the new owner even remotely endorses those sentiments. 

The Confederate flag is taboo nowadays, but that is a fairly recent phenomenon. Particularly in the USA, that flag has a complex symbolism attached to it. For certain  sections of American society it's been an emblem of anti-establishment rebellion as much as an reference to the antebellum South. But we are living in an age where subtitles and nuance are obliterated by the need to be seen as virtuous.

If you're just playing the bass at home then fair enough. I would just be careful taking it out and playing it in public.

I’d be embarrassed at having people over who might see it.  I have to say, when I clicked to open the thread I thought this was a joke at someone’s expense.

Personally I’d have it refinished!

• Like 4

40 odd years ago, when I was a punk, Rockabillies in London would all have a confederate flag patch on their jackets.  I doubt if many of them knew what it symbolised, it was a cool thing that Rockabillies wore.  I wouldn't be surprised if the original owner was in a Rockabilly band, or maybe southern rock.

Fast forward 40 years and the flag is definitely not flavour of the month in America and as American wokeism has spread here, people are generally more aware of the slavery connotations of the flag.

The OP lives in Germany though, maybe people there don't care about this so much.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

40 odd years ago, when I was a punk, Rockabillies in London would all have a confederate flag patch on their jackets.  I doubt if many of them knew what it symbolised, it was a cool thing that Rockabillies wore.  I wouldn't be surprised if the original owner was in a Rockabilly band, or maybe southern rock.

Fast forward 40 years and the flag is definitely not flavour of the month in America and as American wokeism has spread here, people are generally more aware of the slavery connotations of the flag.

The OP lives in Germany though, maybe people there don't care about this so much.

Don’t think people protesting against slavery are woke my friend. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I’d be embarrassed at having people over who might see it.  I have to say, when I clicked to open the thread I thought this was a joke at someone’s expense.

Personally I’d have it refinished!

The only people who come to my house are people who know me and know that I detest racism and the far right and Trump for that matter. So being embarrassed by the way a bass of mine is painted is not something I've considered 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BassAgent said:

Well, at the end of the day a paint scheme would dictate my ability to take a bass on stage and enjoy it to the fullest. Plus, with a paintjob like that, I think it's just as important that other people, whose family or other people they know have been affected by the politics behind this particular flag, are bothered by these looks.

I only play bass at home so again that isn't an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

I bought the bass on a whim whilst buying another bass from the same seller. She just called it the US flag so perhaps it isn't particularly well known here. I knew it was one of the flags the Confederates used in battle and that's all. I just liked the look of the bass and wanted to try our a Stingray...

As it is, I think I will end up stripping it and, depending on the wood grain, go with a natural finish or have it painted white which I believe was the original colour.

• Like 3

Many years ago ( decades in fact ) a mate of mine had his 1960s Burns guitar repainted ( in a Springsteen stars and Stripes way) with a union jack covering the whole front.

When he spun round at the start of a gig, revealing the paint job, there was a collective sharp intake of breath as people decided he must be a member of the national front.  He wasn't, he just liked the Britishness of his old Burns. Sad really.

Think I'd get that nice old Stingray restored.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Don’t think people protesting against slavery are woke my friend. 

This is the first paragraph from the Wikipedia entry on 'Woke'

Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".[1][2] Beginning in the 2010s, it came to encompass a broader awareness of social inequalities such as sexism. Woke has also been used as shorthand for some ideas of the American Left involving identity politics and social justice, such as white privilege and slavery reparations for African Americans.[3][4][5]

• Like 1