Why become a member? ×

petes bass playing on Quadrophenia demos

Musicman666

i always thought john had more of a hand in the writing of the who bass lines but listening to this would suggest otherwise, did john have any input on these townsend demos?? also the drums..is pete that good a drummer as well, keith seems to play just like him? i would have expected the demos to be a bit more basic than this waiting for john and keith to do their thing on the real album.

Edited by Musicman666
  • Like 4

Thanks for posting - I hadn't seen this previously.  I'd like to know the answers the questions you pose - I suspect that somebody on here will know.  A producer/engineer mate of mine has been working recently on some remasters of various Who works - he may have an idea.   Undoubtedly one of my favourite rock albums.  Whatever one might think of PT, the man has some serious talent as composer/writer

Edited by three
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, three said:

Thanks for posting - I hadn't seen this previously.  I'd like to know the answers the questions you pose - I suspect that somebody on here will know.  A producer/engineer mate of mine has been working recently on some remasters of various Who works - he may have an idea.   Undoubtedly one of my favourite rock albums.  Whatever one might think of PT, the man has some serious talent as composer/writer

thanks ..yes, any info would be most welcomed.

Pete's demos were famously accomplished. In Glyn Johns' autobiography he says he always found it daunting trying to improve on them.

There's also a lot of the demos on the final Who's Next/Quadrophenia tracks, mostly the synth parts.

John wouldn't have had any input on the demos 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I think he is an incredible musician, but Pete Townshend is a guitarist who occasionally picks up a bass.
There's a vast difference between that and a bassist.

Some of my favourite bass playing is from a musician who only picked up a bass to finish the album because their bassist had been taken ill.

19 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I think he is an incredible musician, but Pete Townshend is a guitarist who occasionally picks up a bass.
There's a vast difference between that and a bassist.

That’s ultimately the reality, John’s playing brought these tracks to life, especially The Real Me

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

That’s ultimately the reality, John’s playing brought these tracks to life, especially The Real Me

i am a great who fan but somehow i feel a bit let down over this...

the thing is i absolutely love johns playing on the real me, it's probably my favourite bass part of all time however a lot of it is tied up in the phrasing and note choice which i always assumed came from john ...now i realise that this was really pete ...the same with the drumming, the aspects of keith's drumming that i thought brought something to the table is pete again ...somehow i am a little disappointed to find that the who is in fact mostly pete and the other three are in many ways just hired hands to get the job done. It's ironic when one of the threads of thought behind quadrophenia was that the who was comprised of four people hence the "quad" part ....am i now to assume that the four personalities of the who just like the protagonist in the film really inside his head? ...

Edited by Musicman666

Fantastic to hear these - if I was asked on pain of death to name my favourite album of all time, it'd be Quadrophenia. The Who was the first band I really got into, long before I ever picked up a bass, and I've always considered Townshend to be a visionary, genius-level musician. I was aware he had his own studio & demoed songs before presenting them to the band but this is the first time I've heard any, and I'm quite amazed by the detail, refinement and completeness of these versions of songs I've known & loved for decades. Plus what a tight, precise drummer he is!

Thinking about it, these are demos for songs to be recorded/interpreted by The Who - it's perfectly reasonable to assume that Pete would have played the bass & drum parts as he imagined his bandmates - who he'd worked with for over 10 years by this point - would play them. Less dictating what they should play, and rather second-guessing what they would play. Working with them the way he did would've had a huge influence on his approach to bass & drums anyway, I'd expect.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

i am a great who fan but somehow i feel a bit let down over this...

the thing is i absolutely love johns playing on the real me, it's probably my favourite bass part of all time however a lot of it is tied up in the phrasing and note choice which i always assumed came from john ...now i realise that this was really pete ...the same with the drumming, the aspects of keith's drumming that i thought brought something to the table is pete again ...somehow i am a little disappointed to find that the who is in fact mostly pete and the other three are in many ways just hired hands to get the job done. It's ironic when one of the threads of thought behind quadrophenia was that the who was comprised of four people hence the "quad" part ....am i now to assume that the four personalities of the who just like the protagonist in the film really inside his head? ...

it’s not unusual, I suspect a lot of bands are, in the studio at least, to all intents a solo artist

7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Thinking about it, these are demos for songs to be recorded/interpreted by The Who - it's perfectly reasonable to assume that Pete would have played the bass & drum parts as he imagined his bandmates - who he'd worked with for over 10 years by this point - would play them. Less dictating what they should play, and rather second-guessing what they would play. Working with them the way he did would've had a huge influence on his approach to bass & drums anyway, I'd expect.

Lovely line of reasoning 👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the Who's Next documentary, love the moment when Glyn Johns says of Pete's demos "How the hell am I going to compete with that'?. What's clear from watching it is that Townsend wasn't just an incredible musician but an equally incredible innovator, his use of synths probably wasn't bettered until Kraftwerk 

• Like 2