Why become a member? ×

The name of Your bass

nilorius

37 minutes ago, police squad said:

I've owned this bass 33 years now. I did hundreds and hundres of gigs with it. Literally 100 a year for nearly 20 years.

My wife named it 'Old Faithfull' because I was playing it when we first met (and she plays bass too, so recognised it when we eventually got together 16 years ago)

any excuse to post a picture

Fender P bass 1975 003.JPG

Precision of doom 😁

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Well, if you can convince me why Dave is a better name than Lord of the Gates of Hell in the 9th Kingdom of the Minds of Angels who dance with the leaders of Men then I'll consider a re-naming one of my basses to just Dave 🤣

Because !!!  :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 2

My bastardised Charvel I call Yiggy or The Thing. My stock Precision is just The Fender. I’ve got a love/hate relationship with the Charvel - it’s complicated 😁 The P bass is just a stock P bass. I may grow to love it though.

5 hours ago, Linus27 said:

How about Lord Dave of the Gates of Hell in the 10th Kingdom of the Minds of Angels Who Dance with the Leaders of Men??? Just makes Dave a Lord now 🤣

I'm good with that. My nickname in one of my bands is The Laird of Thankerton. (just a bit of fun  because i live in countryside and dont work for a living anymore.

Lord Dave sounds good.

You may proceed with that ye olde peasants 

Lord Dave :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 30/05/2023 at 17:41, fretmeister said:

My own views are summed up by this (Some very naughty words WARNING!)

This.

I'm fine with colours or brands/models. Or things like 'the 6 string' or 'the medium scale'.... something descriptive.  Calling your bass by a proper noun is pretentious as flip, and cringey. Even referring to it as a she is bad enough.

23 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

Nope, treat them like cattle not pets.

Is this why some bassists refer to their collection as "The Herd"?

Also does it mean that you selectively breed your basses, selecting for low end rumble, big upper horns, or milk yield?

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, How1 said:

My bastardised Charvel I call Yiggy or The Thing. My stock Precision is just The Fender. I’ve got a love/hate relationship with the Charvel - it’s complicated 😁 The P bass is just a stock P bass. I may grow to love it though.

So simultaneously You love and hate Your - Charvel and no one knows how it will end ?

5 hours ago, nilorius said:

So simultaneously You love and hate Your - Charvel and no one knows how it will end ?

Exactly. Its like a soap opera. Maybe it'll all be explained in the Christmas special 🤔 

Edited by How1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Not that I can remember.  Are you 6'7"?

At the SW Bass Bash, unless you are a different Richard? I helped you carry some gear to your Jaguar?

Close, 6'3"! I'm not built for short scales 🤭

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

At the SW Bass Bash, unless you are a different Richard? I helped you carry some gear to your Jaguar?

Ah yes, sorry! I can just about remember names, but having to remember names and BC names is way beyond my capacity!

4 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Well, tell that to Stanley Clarke... ;)

He's even taller, and got giant hands as well, beside of course being an absolute master and legend bass player, yet has 30" short scale electric bass as his main instrument of choice, though might I add a really proficient upright bass player as well.

Personally my preferred instrument of choice is a just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, and I am 6"4'.

And how about all those tall fellows playing 24.75" Gibson scale guitars?

Then of course you also have rather short people with small hands preferring to play full scale 34" bass, some even extended scale 6 string bass.

Anthony Jackson for instance isn't a particular tall guy and actually have kind of small hands, yet he's an absolute master of his 36" 6 string bass with full 19mm string spacing.

Showing that choice of scale length really has little to do with one's physical size but rather a question of personal preferences and choice. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I recall reading somewhere that 6'3" Mike Rutherford's main driving factor behind developing a full-bodied Steinberger bass was one of his then-young children telling him that he looked really stupid playing a cricket bat Steiny.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1