Why become a member? ×

Ear Protection for 11 year old at first gig

mr4stringz

Morning all,

Taking my lad (11) to see Kiss in a week or so - his first gig. Does anyone have any recommendations for ear protection for him please?

Given he’s a pre-teen the more kiddie designed over the head jobs aren’t going to fly, but I’m also not sure that he wouldn’t inadvertently mess with in ear types given it’ll be a new experience wearing them. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be most appreciated.

Separation is the best method. Personally, I like to keep at least 50 miles from me and wherever Gene Simmons might be playing...

That said, over-ear ones are much, much better. There are plenty available in loads of different styles. I used to favour Peltor, but other makes are available (avoid the really cheap ones).

If you do go for plugs, avoid the foam ones and get something with a loop, cable, or other way of extracting just in case they get pushed too far in.

Having said all that, it's a Kiss concert, they'll probably confiscate whatever you take and make you buy their official "Kiss your ears better" versions! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I use Mack's "Slim Fit" foam plugs - sleeping and concerts. They claim 29dB noise reduction and I like that at gigs they attenuate without ruining the balance of the sound. I find normal sized foam earplugs put too much pressure on my ears, the slim fit ones are way more comfortable, and may suit an 11-year old. You can get a pack of 50 pairs off Amazon for about £13 - keep you going for many gigs.

Edit to add, after actually reading @jimmyb625's comment properly - I've never had any problems with foam plugs getting stuck, falling apart or going too far in. The outside end should still stick out a few mm, when you squish them down to put them in, don't squish down the last quarter or so, then they will naturally not push in too far. But if you have any concerns... yeah, avoid foam. Maybe get him to try 'em out first.

Edited by anzoid
  • Like 1

FLARE make a range of plugs these days. I use the early version which would be suitable but they probably have kid specific ones as well.

They consist of a machined metal plug that accepts a range of tips.

Mine came with a wide range of tips to try before ordering more of the correct size.

I got their proprietary alloy carry case at no little expense, to go on my key ring. Worth it that I am never without them.

• Like 2

I use in ear ones by “Alpine”.  PMT sell them.  They have three layers of attenuation which you select by choice of insert - I use the middle one.  They seem to attenuate the loud noises but leave lower levels alone.  So at pub gigs I can hear conversations fine, but don’t have my ears ringing the next morning because the music has been ridiculously loud. At Jam Night I wear them the whole night, even when playing.  They are joined by a chord: I thought this was handy for wearing, but note one of the above contributors thinks it may also be a safety benefit.

• Like 2

Just re-read the post about “kiddie style over the head ones….”

Maybe not then!!

My daughter had these when she was younger, she was very happy with them. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edz-Kidz-Defenders-Protection-Children/dp/B09PZ9PFKB/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=ear+defenders+kids&qid=1685954606&sr=8-4

Edited by woodster