Why become a member? ×

This'll cheer you up... It's World Goth Day!

Cat Burrito

I've never even been close to being a goth, but ended up playing in a band that opened the Whitby Goth Weekend one year (I think Alien Sex Fiend were the headliners).

Was pretty good fun seeing an entire seaside town taken over by goths.

Though I remember it being a fairly messy weekend, so my memories of it are a bit hazy...

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Funnily enough, in about 1984-5 I was in a  Grotowskian theatre company called Theatre Babel who looked (and postured) in much the same way!

We were so unwilling to "sell out" that we packed up our Edinburgh Fringe show rather than have a Guardian reviewer see us 🤣

Brilliant 😂 My wife’s outfit had the same management as John Cale though, so I think they leaned more towards the capitalistic end of the avant-garde. If that sort of thing existed? 

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You tease us.. Let's see some of those, right here, right now.. 😁

mmmm no. there somewhere in the loft and best left there. late 80’s simon gallop followed by silly nephilim style hat once hair too to back comb kind of sums things up though.

2 hours ago, meterman said:

the capitalistic end of the avant-garde. If that sort of thing existed

Oh yes! There's money in the right kind of weirdness!

I remember our lot changing the show somewhat while I was away in That London - I was only the (on-stage) stage manager (I wandered about on stage in a dinner suit with a Moroccan Horseman's sword strapped on my back) - and we were due to do an actual show with actual decent audience at Peace Hall in Halifax. So I'd only wander about during the first bit of the show, then I was meant to run up a ladder to the top of this tower I had to build and throw first turnips then flour down this huge funnel. Meanwhile they "walked from the stomach" and recited important gibberish in Chaucerian English while dressed in sacks.

As I hadn't been party to what was due to happen after the flour-dousing I just remember thinking "they can't be that stupid" as they lit some flaming torches. I slid down the ladder shouting "Noooo!!!" as Paul, the leader, swished the torch near his hessian skirt and went up with flames about 15-20 feet high. He jumped off the stage and as he rolled on the grass I sprayed him with a CO2 fire extinguisher.

To all of our credit the show went on as if all this was part of it...

And as we sat in the pub for a post-performance pint of Landlord Paul said "who'd'a thought flour were flammable?"

Me, for one. But they were Artists... :biggrin:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I remember our lot changing the show somewhat while I was away in That London - I was only the (on-stage) stage manager (I wandered about on stage in a dinner suit with a Moroccan Horseman's sword strapped on my back) - and we were due to do an actual show with actual decent audience at Peace Hall in Halifax. So I'd only wander about during the first bit of the show, then I was meant to run up a ladder to the top of this tower I had to build and throw first turnips then flour down this huge funnel. Meanwhile they "walked from the stomach" and recited important gibberish in Chaucerian English while dressed in sacks.

As I hadn't been party to what was due to happen after the flour-dousing I just remember thinking "they can't be that stupid" as they lit some flaming torches. I slid down the ladder shouting "Noooo!!!" as Paul, the leader, swished the torch near his hessian skirt and went up with flames about 15-20 feet high. He jumped off the stage and as he rolled on the grass I sprayed him with a CO2 fire extinguisher.

And as we sat in the pub for a post-performance pint of Landlord Paul said "who'd'a thought flour were flammable?"

Blimey, you sure it wasn't  "it's a Knockout"... 😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Haha, that is fabulous! And I would have paid money to see that. My wife’s lot were merely arty and weird. They’d perform at Sadler’s Wells or Bloomsbury Theatre and them sort of places, so there was always pro crew with them. But I don’t think they ever did any pyro work or stuntman-level stuff. Full marks, sir!

On 22/05/2023 at 19:48, Waddo Soqable said:

I don't have any music vids unfortunately, but did find some pics on an old laptop, here's me in the full drag playing at some gig somewhere, we did some photos in the old nunhead cemetery, which was fun, no really it was... 

IMG_20230522_191234.png

Flipping heck Wad! You were cool! 

• Thanks 1

On 25/05/2023 at 08:07, Leonard Smalls said:

We were so unwilling to "sell out" that we packed up our Edinburgh Fringe show rather than have a Guardian reviewer see us 🤣

Also did a so called Fringe Festival thing somewhere or other, and my "witty" parting shot was.. 

"if this is a fringe festival, I reckon I've won already.. Thank you an good nite..." 

( I'm a card ain't I ..) 

shakinghead.gif

IMG_20230526_142238.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Waddo Soqable said:

Disappointing not more folks have 'come out of the closet' with their old Goth-y pics tho.... 😁

That's because I wasn't a goth. Now if someone starts a 90s curtains-do thread, I'm in bother...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Disappointing not more folks have 'come out of the closet' with their old Goth-y pics tho.... 😁

Well as you ask...

As I said earlier I was never a Goth, but these are from a Whitby Goth Weekend, many many years ago. Glam-goth, rather than Goth, more Gene Loves Jezebel than Bauhaus.

Since then the loss of hair, has been supplanted by the increase of belly.

Screenshot_2023-05-26-19-27-23-659_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.850e58caa5ca0da0c1b072d29f0624b7.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-26-19-28-41-191_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.bf66883236ac588288d9a85c734a0390.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-26-19-29-28-068_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.4bcaa56371937e449203af0c06ca7d74.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, MacDaddy said:

Well as you ask...

As I said earlier I was never a Goth, but these are from a Whitby Goth Weekend, many many years ago. Glam-goth, rather than Goth, more Gene Loves Jezebel than Bauhaus.

Since then the loss of hair, has been supplanted by the increase of belly.

Screenshot_2023-05-26-19-27-23-659_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.850e58caa5ca0da0c1b072d29f0624b7.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-26-19-28-41-191_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.bf66883236ac588288d9a85c734a0390.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-26-19-29-28-068_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.4bcaa56371937e449203af0c06ca7d74.jpg

Top man!  👍

• Thanks 1