Why become a member? Ɨ

Advice wanted - nitro j bass

stingray_stinger72

Hi all šŸ‘‹

Ā 

First post here so please be nice šŸ˜¬

Ā 

Basically, I am looking for a jazz bass style bass finished in nitro for around Ā£850. Ideally with stacked knobs and all that flea sig-like goodness, but any 60s style nitro jazz would be great.

Ā 

Why nitro? Well, I really like the idea of aging a bass myself as I play it and gig with it - this will ideally be my number 1 for a while, so it having changed as I play it is quite appealing.

Ā 

The sound I like is like the tone in ā€˜Charlieā€™ by rhcp (can you see the theme here) but I realise I can always get closer to that further down the line.

Ā 

So, what have I looked at so far?

Ā 

Well:

MJT build kit (will be over budget when electronics are bought and is reliant on scoring an eBay body cheaply)

Limelight (looks awesome but may have to sell my sire which I kinda like)

Reverb etc (there is one lovely burgundy mist one in the uk b it again, out of budget irritatingly)

Flea sig used (possibly out of budget but depends on the used market)

and Iā€™m also looking out on bassbros, bass gallery and stuff.

Ā 

Anyway, after all that waffle, I would rly appreciate it if I could tap in to the reservoir of knowledge that is Basschat to point me in the right direction or tell me that im just dreaming (which is a possibility)

Ā 

Thanks peopleĀ 

Ā 

I was chatting with @MachinesĀ earlier about scoring a bargain. We both had - though his was the better score, I'd say.

Ā 

I tend to use eBay, Gumtree, Preloved, Cash Converters, Cash Generators and Reverb. Only recently started using FB - check these out regularly and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for - people are skint at the moment so liquidating their assets.

Ā 

Keep looking there is something out there for you.

• Like 1

There's a Flea jazz for 850 on Gumtree at the moment, only drawback is it's got a head start on you regarding the aging.Ā 

I see you've already seen Limelight - I'd be tempted to go that route & save a little more cash while you're waiting as then you get to spec it exactly as you want & can ask Mark to do as light a relic as possible.Ā 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lw. said:

Ā 

I see you've already seen Limelight - I'd be tempted to go that route & save a little more cash while you're waiting as then you get to spec it exactly as you want & can ask Mark to do as light a relic as possible.Ā 

Yes I might try that - only thing is he said to me that it would be Ā£1146 which is quite a lot above my max...I may just keep a look out on those used websites

Ā 

btw if anyone sees anything similar or is thinking of selling please do PM :)

• Like 1

Used Flea does seem your best bet, they sound fantastic and the relicing isn't awful.

Ā 

Tight budgets its always best to buy used on here or Reverg/eBay (I'd avoid Facebook etc unless you can play them first), most bang for buck and you'll likely lose very little if it isn't for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

I think they were, forgotten about those. Great basses and well Ā priced at the time.

Ā 

Prices probably gone mental now, suppose that isn't helped by no easily distinguishing features so they'll just be classed as a regular USA bass.

Iā€™d hold out for the Flea Jazz. If you are after a Flea sound, it seems a logical starting point and they regularly come up in the classifieds here.Ā 
Also a strong and reliable resale if you donā€™t find it suits you.
Welcome and good luck.

• Like 1

Iā€™d echo other folks advice about trying to find a used Flea signature Jazz within budget. It should be possible and theyā€™re really good basses. A mate in the UK has one which he stripped the finish back to natural, other than that itā€™s stock original, even the strings. Lovely bass to play šŸ‘ Good luck with the search.

On 18/05/2023 at 10:35, lemmywinks said:

Ā 

Prices probably gone mental now, suppose that isn't helped by no easily distinguishing features so they'll just be classed as a regular USA bass.

Headstock end truss rod adjustment and melt at any excuse nito finish.16850015762517378717897450477472.thumb.jpg.759ea1c6f72cbcd9fd9ae1b65f3caf08.jpg16850016173723239002642746670726.thumb.jpg.5db81c690775f48b0ceb2955de32bcd2.jpg

On 17/05/2023 at 18:46, stingray_stinger72 said:

Yes I might try that - only thing is he said to me that it would be Ā£1146 which is quite a lot above my max...I may just keep a look out on those used websites

Ā 

btw if anyone sees anything similar or is thinking of selling please do PM :)

ANy possible thoughts on building and painting your own? Nitro painting using cans is really rewarding and with a small bit of effort fairly straight forward.

Ā 

I have a bulld thread where i cam currently doing this and it is coming out great. I am using all high end bits so it is a bit more expensive than your budget, but not hugely so and could definitely be done for cheaper.

Ā 

I also much prefer the look and feel of nitro.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I had a flea bass when they were first released. It did a lot of gigs and by the time I sold it, you could see more primer as the top coat was rubbing off nicely.

It was a lovely bass too. Great pickups, I shoud have kept it but fancied something else.

Ā 

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

ANy possible thoughts on building and painting your own? Nitro painting using cans is really rewarding and with a small bit of effort fairly straight forward.

Ā 

I have a bulld thread where i cam currently doing this and it is coming out great. I am using all high end bits so it is a bit more expensive than your budget, but not hugely so and could definitely be done for cheaper.

Ā 

I also much prefer the look and feel of nitro.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yh I did think about this but Iā€™m not the best at diy-ing tho so would be a bit nervous abt wet/dry sanding

Ā 

May have another look though, thanks for ur inputĀ 

29 minutes ago, police squad said:

I had a flea bass when they were first released. It did a lot of gigs and by the time I sold it, you could see more primer as the top coat was rubbing off nicely.

It was a lovely bass too. Great pickups, I shoud have kept it but fancied something else.

Ā 

This sounds rly good thanks for sharing

• Like 1

The flea jazz is a great example of the jazz bass. Neck is slim and itā€™s real strong point ore the pick ups. Custom shop ā€˜64ā€™s - you could probably retro fit some high end boutique pick ups into another nitro jazz but Iā€™d say grab a flea or a road worn and make mods if needed from thereĀ 

If itā€™s any help the sound engineer at last nights gig approached me at the end of the second set and told me I had the best bass sound sheā€™s heard in that venue. I was playing a Flea jazz!Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m sure there were other factors but like I said above the ā€˜64 CS pick ups are a big part of the oomph. She simply described the bass as ā€œjust sounding right!ā€ And she had basically nothing to do to the sound she was getting from my board.Ā 
Ā 

šŸ¤·

Edited by krispn