Why become a member? ×

Dodgy Ernie Ball Strings

Hey guys, bought a set of Ernie Ball strings from Amazon yesterday, and the packing is a little bit different from usual. 
Can it be fake? The new one is clear plastic, with a printed sleeve inside. 
I didn't open it, in case I need to return. 
Here is the link from the amazon website (strings provided by amazon, not an independent seller)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002DVBIU?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks
Nick

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-14 at 12.45.42.jpeg

615My+ZeUoL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I had a set of EB strings via Amazon a few months ago…… I strongly suspect they were fake. They didn’t feel or sound right. Fake strings are a thing, contrary to what some might say.

• Like 3

On 14/05/2023 at 17:37, Rayman said:

I had a set of EB strings via Amazon a few months ago…… I strongly suspect they were fake. They didn’t feel or sound right. Fake strings are a thing, contrary to what some might say.

Yip. If there’s money to be made, they’ll fake them. Ernie Ball appear to be a common brand to fake. I’ve had some not quite right looking pack in the mail. There’s a few YouTube videos on guitar string fakes. 
I just get my strings from the wee shop in town. Cost more, but I know what I’m getting. Rather than something not right turning up on my doorstep. 

I have no faith in buying stuff from Amazon really these days other than the most meaningless household tat. There’s so much weird junk and things of questionable origin. As above I stick to the music shops, online or otherwise.

Edited by How1

On 14/05/2023 at 17:37, Rayman said:

This is interesting to read, I recently put a set of fender bass strings on that I had bought ages ago from Amazon.  I have been thinking that they sound rubbish and have terrible action

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Seems to be becoming more common.

It does seem to be getting less safe on Amazon. My missus bought some of her fave perfume from them and it was fake - she spotted the box was wrong straight away. No problem returning and refunding it but it makes you think twice about it now. I always trusted them before. 

• Like 3

Not just strings, huge market for snide car parts, and always has been.

A naughty string isn't going to hurt you...unless it breaks and whips back, but I've seen some proper moody and scary automotive stuff...suspension and brake components notably. 

A company in India were making awful 'copies' of Lucas CAV fuel filters back in the early 70s. 

Edited by iconic

I'm surprised so many people still use Amazon. I thought their atrocious company ethics, staggering destruction of resources, appalling employee treatment and mind-blowing knob headedness of Bezos would have deterred most people by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bolo said:

I'm surprised so many people still use Amazon. I thought their atrocious company ethics, staggering destruction of resources, appalling employee treatment and mind-blowing knob headedness of Bezos would have deterred most people by now.

Same, I still feel we are in a minority sadly.

3 hours ago, Bolo said:

Can add ASDA to this list now, as well

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1