Why become a member? ×

All Right Now

LITTLEWING

17 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Opening up a whole new can of worms….what key is SHA in?

btw, I think the op was actually after our help….sorry you all hate that song. I feel the same way about “Autumn Leaves”…:)

SHA is in G.

I must admit that for 50 years I've been playing the bit under the solo wrong as I haven't been putting that alternating open A in. Now I can't manage to change to play it correctly - not that anyone notices, they're more likely to notice if I try and play it properly and c0ck it up. And I wouldn't be playing the sodding thing at all if it wasn't that the rest of the band seemed all enthusiastic about it - I'd rather do Wishing Well which, although nearly as hackneyed, is at least more interesting to play.

4 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Alright Now is an excellent song. This doesn't mean you have to like it, but to deny its quality stinks of musical snobbery (on BassChat? Surely not)

It's a good song when Free do it.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, LITTLEWING said:

This will probably start a fight in the playground, but I’ve fallen into a fourth band where the elderly bass guy had to give up for health reasons and one of the tracks is Free’s ARN. I went on YouTube just to remind myself of the structure on the single and album versions and out of curiosity looked at a few ‘covers’. Now, I know Mr Fraser played the riff down the bottom end but a lot of guys on these so called covers are playing it on the D string on the 7th fret. The original recordings are clearly lower and even on a couple of live versions he is absolutely seen playing down the bottom end. 

Over to you.

If you're in a covers band play it however you want as long as it sounds right. If you're in a tribute band then play it as the original artist does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

SHA is in G.

I must admit that for 50 years I've been playing the bit under the solo wrong as I haven't been putting that alternating open A in. Now I can't manage to change to play it correctly - not that anyone notices, they're more likely to notice if I try and play it properly and c0ck it up. And I wouldn't be playing the sodding thing at all if it wasn't that the rest of the band seemed all enthusiastic about it - I'd rather do Wishing Well which, although nearly as hackneyed, is at least more interesting to play.

I'm  forever going to call it SHAG now... 👍

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I have a feeling I nicked the basic idea from someone/ somewhere but so long ago I can't remember. The Dandy or Beano us a good alternative too btw 😁

Clapton on the John Mayall album cover?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

SHA is in G.

You sure about that?

16 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Clapton on the John Mayall album cover?

I think it was just as much influenced by the story of Dennis Brain the French horn player, who used to read magazines and the like while waiting for the horns to come in, during rehearsals with the LSO or whoever,  he had a bit of a row with the conductor, Sir Adrian Boult or someone, who got the hump feeling he wasn't giving the rehearsal it's due respect and attention. Mr Brain retorted that provided he came in at the appropriate time and played the 1st horn part adequately, who cares, and carried on reading😁

• Thanks 1

It's the guitarists that get me on this one. "I play the solo just like the original" and then they never do, which wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for coming out of the solo onto the E at the end. It wouldn't matter if they made eye contact, gave a little nod or stuck to the right number of bars. Or even if they knew that Free made at least four different versions out there.

I had one guy at an audition (his not mine) shouting at me because I'd got it 'wrong'. 'Um, mate you came in three bars too late then missed the first beat of the bar. Fluffed the third to last bar in the solo and completely lost where you were was what I decided not to say. I've had others that tell me they improvise the solo but always end with 'this' and then fumble the demonstration of 'what they always play' or alternatively play 'this' three times in the solo so I have to guess which one of the three is the end. No point in asking them how many bars they want for the solo either.

Then again was the band who told me 'we do the Christina Aguilera version' where the bassist plays over everything and which is in a different key . They played the Free version and had clearly told the female singer they were doing Christina just to get her to do the song. I rewarded myself by playing the Aguilera bassline over the verses which was actually good fun.

Actually I love not playing the verses, it answers the question 'what does the bass actually do?' as the whole song lifts every time you come in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

I had one guy at an audition (his not mine) shouting at me because I'd got it 'wrong'.

Obviously didn't realise you were auditioning the band as well as him auditioning a bass player. Guess he didn't pass the audition then.

7 hours ago, TimR said:

Obviously didn't realise you were auditioning the band as well as him auditioning a bass player. Guess he didn't pass the audition then.

His audition not mine, but yes any audition is always a two way process. It was one of those situations where everyone was terribly polite as he 'explained' that we were 'doing it all wrong' we needed to drop the songs from our set and all learn the set he had learned. We couldn't get away fast enough :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

His audition not mine, but yes any audition is always a two way process. It was one of those situations where everyone was terribly polite as he 'explained' that we were 'doing it all wrong' we needed to drop the songs from our set and all learn the set he had learned. We couldn't get away fast enough :)

Sounds like a total sphinc*er. No doubt, as it's Friday, he'll be polishing his instrument before wowing them down the Cat and Piddle tonight. Rock on Tommy.

• Haha 2