Why become a member? ×

Musician's Guide to Eurovision

Happy Jack

I'm Team Aussie this year - one of my favourite bands are representing Australia - Voyager. 

They do a kind of synthpoppy take on prog-metal, I've been listening to them for quite a few years now, and they're bloody great. Their bass player Alex is also a monster player. :) This was their third try ad being nominated for Eurovision, and they got the nod! 

Here's the tune - it's a banger. :) 

And Alex's bass playthrough: 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Russ said:

I'm Team Aussie this year - one of my favourite bands are representing Australia - Voyager. 

They do a kind of synthpoppy take on prog-metal, I've been listening to them for quite a few years now, and they're bloody great. Their bass player Alex is also a monster player. :) This was their third try ad being nominated for Eurovision, and they got the nod! 

Voyager are awesome! I saw them open for Leprous once here in the Netherlands, and have been listening to them regularly since. I wasn't aware they were competing in Eurovision this year, but that's awesome! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Voyager are awesome! I saw them open for Leprous once here in the Netherlands, and have been listening to them regularly since. I wasn't aware they were competing in Eurovision this year, but that's awesome! 

I saw them supporting VOLA last year. They played a number and my gig buddy turned to me and said "It sounds a bit Eurovision doesn't it"

They then explained that it had been their entry into Australia's choose a Eurovision entry that year!

They are a really good professional band and put on a great show. 

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

They tried to get selected last year too, with the song "Dreamer". They won the audience vote, but not the jury vote. This year, there was no public vote, and they got "appointed", probably because they got passed over last year!

1 hour ago, Russ said:

They tried to get selected last year too, with the song "Dreamer". They won the audience vote, but not the jury vote. This year, there was no public vote, and they got "appointed", probably because they got passed over last year!

Dreamer - that was the song I was on about!

19 hours ago, Russ said:

I love me a bit of Voyager. I've been a fan since I discovered them quite by chance about six years ago.

Don't think I'll be watching Eurovision though.... 

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Bloody hell, that Voyager song is awful. I absolutely hate the sound of autotuned vocals, it seems that it's an obligatory effect these days.

There's no autotune at work there. Certainly not on the lead vocals. 

Danny and Alex can sing. Here's a live performance of the tune from a couple of weeks back: 

Edited by Russ

Shame that Moldova's Sunstroke Project didn't win their national vote this time and won't be at the final - I'll miss Sergey Stepanov, the Epic Sax Guy! 

Eurovision 2010: www.youtube.com > watch?v=Jh-cSidGovk

11 hours ago, YouMa said:

I won't watch it this year as its not in a foreign country which takes the fun out of it for me. I will miss all the gorgeous exotic female presenters though.

Excellent point. It was hosted here in the Netherlands in 2021, and it didn't help.

And our presenters were all (quite literally) overshadowed by Nikkie de Jager - who is awesome, and put the other three to shame with her English pronounciation.

eurovision-presenters-hosts-1438134.jpg?

In my country Latvia - to get further at Eurovisio it is no chance for rock, metal, jazz, latin. Only perfectly balanced pop, soul or disco with superbably writen words that slime together in each part. No other way, believe me i have tried a lot.

36 minutes ago, nilorius said:

In my country Latvia - to get further at Eurovisio it is no chance for rock, metal, jazz, latin. Only perfectly balanced pop, soul or disco with superbably writen words that slime together in each part. No other way, believe me i have tried a lot.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I regret to say I knew a kid at school who used to eat his own bogies

( at least he'd didnt ask for other people's to try..) 

I went to school with a kid who would pay other kids 50p for a scab so he could eat it. 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 2