Why become a member? ×

Ebonol or ebony ? Why ?

nilorius

1 minute ago, Downunderwonder said:

Ebony is kinda getting to be an endangered species isn't it?

I am quite happy playing on ebanol. If that leaves a little bit of ebony for violins that can really use it, that's ok by me.

At 2006/07 and before it was. Now it is free.

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

Where does it grow ?

NZ and Fiji is where the swamp stuff comes from. 10's of thousands of years old.

Kauri is a podocarp. Podocarps were around when the dinosaurs were kingpins. Conifers and deciduous trees are much newer.

In NZ we have a big problem with a fungal nasty that must have come in on someone's undetected dirty boots. Is is lethal to Kauri so known as Kauri dieback disease. It was undetected for some time so trampers have spread it widely.

There was a story a while back about ebony, the gist of which was that it is endangered, but there's loads more if it available than actually gets used because we like it to be totally black, but in reality most ebony has paler patterns and markings so gets rejected - and you have to chop down the tree to inspect the wood.

One US maker was starting to use the paler stuff and I thought it looked gorgeous. Anyone have any facts or updates on this?

2 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

There was a story a while back about ebony, the gist of which was that it is endangered, but there's loads more if it available than actually gets used because we like it to be totally black, but in reality most ebony has paler patterns and markings so gets rejected - and you have to chop down the tree to inspect the wood.

One US maker was starting to use the paler stuff and I thought it looked gorgeous. Anyone have any facts or updates on this?

i had a tiger stripe ebony neck by Warmoth, I’ll dig out some pics. Same feel as normal ebony but very different aesthetic 👍

• Like 1

I was going to post something, but just cleared my message because

A: my only fretless basses either have rosewood boards or are just a maple 2x4 with strings, and;

B: my only basses with ebonol fingerboards are my Status Graphite basses with carbon graphite monocoque necks, and their response is incomparable to any of my wooden necks. 

As you were. Nothing to see here :lol:

• Like 1