Why become a member? ×

What's you favourite tone here (149 isolated bass tracks)

lidl e

lots to go through here. a lot of surprises whereby some of my favourite lines have terrible tone on their own (to me obviously) i don't like rio or tom sawyer at all. i think standouts of what i've listened to so far  for me are smashing pumpkins (cherub rock) and the police (every little thing she does is magic) but there's so much to choose from

(If you click on the lines icon you'll see the list)

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 5

Geddy Lee's Tom Sawyer tone, I started playing bass after hearing Permanent Waves, and Lee will always be an major influence.

Love the Ox's tone on that track although his tone evolved quite radically if you listen to the Live Aid version of that song.

Tim Comerford's tone is always great, his work with Audioslave is under-rated I think.

John McVie's tone has always been absolutely perfect for the band, and his line in Go Your Own Way is an absolute peach, plus his timing is immaculate.

What stands out is how poor some of the tones in the metal bands are, and how bad some of the timing is.

The engineer in me loves Cliff Williams tone, it'll work all day long in that band.

Honourable mentions for Nate Mendel, Chris Squire and Rick Butler.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WinterMute said:

Geddy Lee's Tom Sawyer tone, I started playing bass after hearing Permanent Waves, and Lee will always be an major influence.

Love the Ox's tone on that track although his tone evolved quite radically if you listen to the Live Aid version of that song.

Tim Comerford's tone is always great, his work with Audioslave is under-rated I think.

John McVie's tone has always been absolutely perfect for the band, and his line in Go Your Own Way is an absolute peach, plus his timing is immaculate.

What stands out is how poor some of the tones in the metal bands are, and how bad some of the timing is.

The engineer in me loves Cliff Williams tone, it'll work all day long in that band.

Honourable mentions for Nate Mendel, Chris Squire and Rick Butler.

Yeah, love McVie's.

It's funny,  there's no bigfer Ox fan than me, but i dont like his isloated tone at all!

Of the ones I checked out I like:

Dave Hope (Kansas)

Mike Mills (REM)

Tony Butler (Big Country)

Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters) my fave

But the one that stood out for me was John Taylor (Duran Duran) as his tone sounded pretty much the same isolated as in the mix whereas most of the others sounded a fair bit treblier & “rattier” than would be expected.

• Like 1

I played about 15 seconds of each of the tracks that I was interested in and the thing that struck me was that how terrible most of the isolated sounds were, but how perfect they are when you hear the final mix. It all goes to prove that there is no great bass tone, just one that works well with a particular combination of musicians and instruments, and why for the most part chasing someone else's tone is a futile exercise.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I played about 15 seconds of each of the tracks that I was interested in and the thing that struck me was that how terrible most of the isolated sounds were, but how perfect they are when you hear the final mix. It all goes to prove that there is no great bass tone, just one that works well with a particular combination of musicians and instruments, and why for the most part chasing someone else's tone is a futile exercise.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

yes, good news for us sloppy bass players 😂

• Haha 1

I have learnt 9 songs from the list, using a variety of tabs from the internet, YouTube clips or just playing them bit by bit (4 bars by 4 bars) over and over again and transcribing.  Of the 5 or 6 I have just listened to, I came close on a few and quite different on a few but never identical.  In my previous band with just the single guitarist, I think I added more in to fill out space.

I sort of know how Vim Fuego felt when he pointed out that, "I could play Stairway to heaven when I was 16; Jimmy Page didn't write it 'til he was 23! I think that's saying something don't you?"

Edited by BillyBass