Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK300 Review (the famous Stingray Killer?)

Rib13Bass

With the exception of weight, this bass is a very impressive Stingray alternative - - Soundwise: it definitely gets very inside the Stingray ballpark, enough to where it would be difficult to be able to tell the difference if part of a recording. What do you think? I'm curious if any of you are hearing it the way I am. Enjoy

Edited by Rib13Bass
  • Like 2

Had an atk400 korean made, difference being the extra pu, a gift from a bc member actually. 

It was a seriously well built instrument. And as mentioned in the video, it was heavy! although that didn't bother me. The neck was pretty hefty though! 

In a multi instrumental recording it would be hard to tell the difference. 

Solo however would be a different story. It just had a different sound to it. 

But due to the pu location then it certainly gets in the ball park. Bit like a dimension bass or maybe a Warwick fna. 

I enjoyed the fun video. Nice playing too. Although it's always good to hear a bass in isolation too. 

Edited by Twincam
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Twincam said:

And as mentioned in the video, it was heavy! although that didn't bother me.

thanks for watching and the comment. Im the same way: Im a stocky guy so heavy basses don't really bother me, as they hang from my frame comfortably not too different than lighter basses when playing live...but I can definitely see how this may be a hindrance and a deterrent for those with different physiques than mine

Great video. I really like the sound if it. And the look. I think Ibanez was really good at interpreting classic shapes (I think this, the Roadster and the Roadstar). It's great that they found their own space with the Soundgears but I wish they did more classic-looking stuff.

The Talman series is a very good step in that direction. Unfortunately for what I have read they tend do be headstock heavy and I was not blown away, soundwise, watching reviews.

If as you suggested they were to bring the ATK back - but lighter - I would be very tempted.

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I had one for a while.  

Far too cumbersome to be used regularly. 

I don't know why they're called "Stingray killers" - I  didn't see them as directly comparable. 

Yeah, "back killers" maybe, but I didn't see anything Stingray Killer about the one I had (which was very nice, but a real boat anchor).

• Like 3

I've had a few lefty ATK's, all made in Japan. They were originally made in Korea (from 1994-1995), but when they became succesful production moved to Japan for just a few short years (1996-1998) before moving back to Korea - with the exception of a Prestige model that was short-lived, the ATK1300/1305. And the weirdest oddity of all, the USA-made USATK models - made for Ibanez by Bunker Guitars, with their unique, patented Tension-free Neck, which is basically just a wooden shell around an adjustable steel rod, and a separate headstock bolted to the end. 

The later ATK series were Indonesian, and are easily recognizable for their lack of a truss rod cover on the headstock, but rather a spokewheel truss rod adjuster at the neck heel. 

I've owned two ATK300's and one very rare ATK305 (only a scant few lefties ever made). I loved them, but I'm not really into the MM type tone anymore and sold all my basses with MM-style pickups. I kinda wish I had kept the fourstring in this picture, it was a beast and somehow sounded warmer and punchier than the other two ATK's I owned.

58481_101385536592742_6843226_n.jpg.1e2f879cf19618f8e80aaa2849990b22.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an ATK305 and it was pretty good - sounded good, played well, but its neck was too wide for me so it never became a favourite. However, it was a very solid bass to play and the pickup was great. I am surprised they don't do them any more, but I guess they know the sales figures!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am surprised they don't do them any more, but I guess they know the sales figures!

Yep. They were discontinued twice now. Production of the Japanese and Korean models ran from 1994-1999. They came back by popular demand in 2007 after a certain mr. Paul Gray of Slipknot fame could be seen regularly gigging a left-handed amber ATK300. He was the one reason the ATK series was brought back, and he was subsequently honoured with his own signature model, the Ibanez PGB-1. These Indonesian models ran from 2007-2018. During this time, Ibanez also made some smaller-bodied versions (like the ATK200) to bring the weight down. These look very similar, but the body is slightly narrower. These also had a slightly different bridge which fits humbuckers with regular MM dimensions, which made them easier to modify. 

On 16/04/2023 at 18:29, Rib13Bass said:

With the exception of weight, this bass is a very impressive Stingray alternative - - Soundwise: it definitely gets very inside the Stingray ballpark, enough to where it would be difficult to be able to tell the difference if part of a recording. What do you think? I'm curious if any of you are hearing it the way I am. Enjoy

I dont know rib13. I know DRF.

Wassup, bud. It's boalg.

• Like 1

I like ATK's. They are definitely a cheap alternative to a Stingray. They come pretty close imo. The best one I've played was a Japanese 305, I wouldn't mind having another 🙂

The status of "stingray-killer" is usually mentioned by sellers, just because they've read it somewhere and think it sounds good I guess. There is no reason why they would make a Stingray feel sad....

• Like 2