Why become a member? ×

What's in a name?

snorkie635

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

You're up against OCD and pedantry here, fella. Because not in the lyrics of the song, it wasnt!

:biggrin: :P ;)

Ahh the old make a name rhyme to fit in a song 😄

try this from .50 seconds 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, neepheid said:

It was 1996.  I wanted a hotmail address (pre-Microsoft).  I wanted a cool, relatively short one with NO number in it.  I scratched my head to think of something that no American would ever think of.  So I thought - local dialect.  Came up with neepheid - neep heid, lit. turnip/swede/rutabaga head ie. idiot, basically.  In Scotland there is a long and rich tradition of playful, food based insults - neep, tattie, dumplin' - all synonyms for idiot/imbecile.

Anyhoo, neepheid was indeed not taken so I snagged it and it has been my nom de guerre ever since.  Managed to keep it on most online platforms.  I use neepheid_prime when I've been beaten to it.

I'm glad you posted that.  I'd been reading it as Neefeid.

16 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I'm glad you posted that.  I'd been reading it as Neefeid.

It has not escaped my attention that a lot of people read it that way.  Elephants are way more famous than me, that's what's to blame :)

My given name is Chris.  Way back in February 1981 I started a new job, and there were already 4 people called Chris in the team of 12.

Nick-names were already used to identify the other 4 individual Chris' so I was immediately re-named 'Chezz' (derived from my family name) - the name has been with me ever since. I added the 55 'I thought it sounded good.

5 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

My given name is Chris.  Way back in February 1981 I started a new job, and there were already 4 people called Chris in the team of 12.

Nick-names were already used to identify the other 4 individual Chris' so I was immediately re-named 'Chezz' (derived from my family name) - the name has been with me ever since. I added the 55 'I thought it sounded good.

Does that mean you're 55% fruit juice?

24 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It has not escaped my attention that a lot of people read it that way.  Elephants are way more famous than me, that's what's to blame :)

Thank the Lord you went 'vegetable' and not 'bakery'. 'Butteryheid' 'll no' cut it loon.

12 hours ago, Bunion said:

Ahh the old make a name rhyme to fit in a song 😄

try this from .50 seconds 

Ah - the old 'adding a y to a single-syllable name to create an affectionate diminutive' ploy!

I know all your sly linguistic tricks, that's what they teach at Pedant School. :P

• Haha 2

I'm sure this is on Basschat already, so here goes.  

Me and the wife are huge fans of a photographer called Gregory Crewdson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Crewdson); his work is highly stylised/detailed/large format and when the photography is displayed the canvas size is large - maybe 6x8 feet.  Typically his work is like this:

crewdson_ssg2.jpeg

We were at the Beneath The Roses exhibition at the White Cube in Shoreditch and the photo below was in the exhibition (not wishing to see my post deleted I've browned out the nudity in the shot, but if you want see what's under the brown, it's easily findable online).  The detail was so clear that you could make out the names on the prescription bottles on the dresser as Nancy Johnson.  I'd just started a new band and we used Nancy Johnson for the band name (which was kind of amusing as we were four blokes).

image.png.227d9111ef0aeae471dba2bae74d5ead.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Odd really as most kebab places seem to be Turkish yet kebab is always associated with Greek.. I've often wondered about that... 

Most Greek food has its roots in Turkish and middle eastern cuisine.  If you go to an Iraqi restaurant the names might be different but the dishes are similar.

Greek tzatziki is Cacik in Turkish for instance, Greek soutzokakia is pretty much the same as Turkish kofta but in some cases even the names are similar such as Greek dolmades and Turkish dolma.

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

μπορώ να έχω ένα κεμπάπ παρακαλώ

Should get you sorted... 👍

σουβλάκι ή γύρος

Kebab normally refers to something you don't see in kebab shops in the UK - minced meat on a skewer somewhere between a doner and a souvlaki(shish).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

Before Basschat, there was Bassworld. At the time of joining Bassworld, my main basses were Stingrays. So I picked Rayman. I carried the name over to Basschat when was first launched.

And I've spent 17-odd years with this mental image of you:

rayman-cover.cover_large.jpg

I am disappoint.

• Haha 1