Why become a member? ×

Salisbury and its musical environs

Happy Jack

Looks like I'll be over-nighting in Salisbury mid-week a couple of times a month for the foreseeable future.

Much as I love sitting in a hotel bar staring at the wallpaper, frankly I'd prefer to check out the local scene (maaaan) and in particular the various jam sessions and similar. 

Given a 30-mile travel radius, my old mate and drinking buddy Euclid tells me that's nearly 3000 square miles of Wessex that's availabe to explore, so you'd think I'd be spoiled for choice.

Not so much.

The usual searches have turned up a number of "2nd Tuesday in the month but only if the Moon is in the 7th House" type jam sessions, some of which are at venues which have changed hands / closed down / been struck by lightning since the listing was last updated.

Speak to me, Oh Wessex Basschatters, where should I go on a weekday evening far from the madding crowd to hear Tess of the D'Urbervilles play a slow blues with Jude the Obscure?

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Haha 1

The Winchester Gate on Rampart Road has an open mic night on Thursdays.

The landlord, Rob, is a full on muso. Even if there's nothing on, the pub is worth a visit just to see the stage he's built in the beer garden.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheRev said:

The Winchester Gate on Rampart Road has an open mic night on Thursdays.

The landlord, Rob, is a full on muso. Even if there's nothing on, the pub is worth a visit just to see the stage he's built in the beer garden.

There's a few jam/open mic nights in and around Salisbury and I think they all fall on various Thursday nights. I've not been as our lead guitarist works Thursday nights.

Robb (you forgot the extra b @TheRev 😁) is a damn good promoter who put my old band on 15yrs ago when we couldn't get arrested in Salisbury...trouble is he seems to be shunning my new band at the moment 😬 so if you do go to the Winnie Gate please mention Felis Leo and how wonderful we are to the management (a little white lie goes a long way 😆).

As a trade, if you need to borrow a 4 or 5 string while you're down here just message me 👍

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Just make sure you wear latex gloves and don't go picking up any old perfume bottles.

They warned the public not to pick up anything lying around that isn't yours after that... Salisbury is a right ol' tip these days 😆