Why become a member? ×

Warwick thumb bass advice

horrorshowbass

On 09/04/2023 at 13:51, Gwilym said:

IME there are two things. It has to be neck through for the tone.

Secondly, the neck dive and relative reach to the 1st fret is a big playability issue, and the reason why i didn't buy one, even though sitting down it sounded great. As soon as i stood up with it, i knew it wasn't the bass for me.

Exactly this. I bought a beautiful 1990 neck through some years back. The build quality, looks and tone are absolutely to die for but as soon as I stand up, it goes back in the case. Just waiting for the values to rocket now before I sell it on!

On 10/04/2023 at 21:24, Sparky Mark said:

20230312_144555.thumb.jpg.d9662555af30e57e68c9fbbc57d6bf31.jpg

20230312_144702.thumb.jpg.1092dcb08ea68d286fc0d596888c3f51.jpg

Mine is a 1991 with a slim neck profile. I've never experienced any neck dive but do use a wide soft leather strap for comfort because although a small body it still weighs about 9.5lbs.

I'm only 5'9" and have no insurmountable issues with the first fret position because I use a strap length that allows the neck to be angled more upwards bringing the headstock closer to my shoulder allowing my left elbow to bend comfortably. The shorter the strap the harder it is for me to play.

• Like 2

For me the characteristic Thumb growl, sustain and bell like note clarity come from neck through construction of the dense bubinga and wenge hardwoods. Other versions look beautiful too but will differ tonally from that original wood combination.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fleabag said:

I never liked the Thumbs much till i saw this ... the Bleached Blonde NT Thumb

What a gorgeous looking axe ... big money though, i believe

IMG_7108.thumb.JPG.907c8f6bfe7543e587d861dd4aa5d214.JPG

Nice basses, though be aware if buying in the UK (if thats where they still are...) I know of at least 2 and most likely 3 of these that have neck / truss rod issues.

Number 27 is one I'm fairly certain.

Another was listed on ebay for spares as separate neck and body, then surfaced  later as a complete bass at Bass Direct in the used section.

1 minute ago, Kev said:

I'd always recommend trying a Warwick built between 1999 and 2008 in person before handing over money.  Dog years for Warwick QC, so many badduns, particularly between 2000 and 2003.

Yep - the Bleached Blonde Thumbs are 2003.

• Like 1

I had a German built thumb bolt on four string and absolutely loved it. So nice to play I don't understand the comments about neck dive and hard to reach frets but then I do have arms that reach to within 3 inches of my knees 🐒

I gave it to my Grandson to help him get started with a quality bass and now he loves it as well.

Try it out you might be surprised.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2023 at 08:05, King Tut said:

Exactly this. I bought a beautiful 1990 neck through some years back. The build quality, looks and tone are absolutely to die for but as soon as I stand up, it goes back in the case. Just waiting for the values to rocket now before I sell it on!

Just to clarify, my issues are about the reach to the first fret, not neck dive. Mine’s quite light too. Interesting comments about strap length @Sparky Mark- maybe I should revisit!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Just to clarify, my issues are about the reach to the first fret, not neck dive. Mine’s quite light too. Interesting comments about strap length @Sparky Mark- maybe I should revisit!

Jack Bruce was only 5'6" and he played a Thumb for many years. Looks like he also angled the neck upwards to help reach.

20230415_094838.thumb.jpg.8966a7389a7c0a6f234fd060edfe148b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess the "neck dive" is more noticeable on the 5 string version as neck has higher mass and I remember reading someone's opinion about the neck through having better balance.

Speaking of neck dive,my impression is that if you let it rest, the thumb tends to get paralel to the ground instead of the headstock pointing towards it. 

Edited by A.G.E.N.T.E.

Every Thumb NT4 I have owned (5) has not suffered what I consider to be neck dive i.e. the headstock trying to drop below parallel, to the extent where my left arm is doing work to keep it up.

Conversely, every NT or BO 5 I have had (admittedly just 2) has had neck dive.  I had a BO 5 that I absolutely loved sitting down, but it was unplayable standing.

• Like 1

I agree. I would say that a wides, padded, suede strap goes a long way in making it manageable, and you get used to it. But a balanced instrument the Thumb is not. The NT is probably a bit better than the BO but for the NT as well you have to account for different body shapes (eg the broadneck has a slightly different body shape, pre-2000 ones have a shorter upper horn...), but still isn't an ergonomics masterpiece.

1 hour ago, biro said:

I agree. I would say that a wides, padded, suede strap goes a long way in making it manageable, and you get used to it. But a balanced instrument the Thumb is not. The NT is probably a bit better than the BO but for the NT as well you have to account for different body shapes (eg the broadneck has a slightly different body shape, pre-2000 ones have a shorter upper horn...), but still isn't an ergonomics masterpiece.

85 one I had I asked Warwick about, 

“sorry the first few years I messed up the ergonomics and the horn is too short” 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

85 one I had I asked Warwick about, 

“sorry the first few years I messed up the ergonomics and the horn is too short” 

Yeah they changed the horn at least 2-3 times since that 85 of yours.  The older ones felt more ergonomic to me 🙃

• 2 weeks later...