Why become a member? ×

Interesting, little know bass/ music facts for a quiz

TMB

Please help by relpying to this with a randon, obscure little know bass, guitar or drum related fact. You'd be helping out loads b coz i have to set up a quiz for a bunch of v enthusiastic and knowledgable students......they r good too.... very good.....help??

[quote name='TMB' post='474947' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:08 PM']Please help by relpying to this with a randon, obscure little know bass, guitar or drum related fact. You'd be helping out loads b coz i have to set up a quiz for a bunch of v enthusiastic and knowledgable students......they r good too.... very good.....help??[/quote]
How about some of these:
[url="http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Music/Guitar-2885.html"]http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Music/Guitar-2885.html[/url]

* Neither Leo Fender nor Ted McCarty could play guitar
* Jim Marshall started as a drummer
* Dobro stands for [b]Do[/b]pyera [b]Bro[/b]thers
* Freddie Tavares, who worked with Leo Fender to develop the Strat, played the slide glissando on the Looney Tunes theme
* Les Paul invented multi-tracking, but did not invent the solid bodied guitar. He also broadcast under the pseudonym 'Rhubarb Red'.
* Rickenbacker produced the first [i]solid-bodied [/i]electric guitar but Gibson were the first to sell an electric guitar - it was an archtop with a pick-up.
* BB King worked as a DJ
* Pete Townshend played bass on Thunderclap Newman's 'Something in the Air' under the pseudonym 'Bijou Drains'
* George ' Thunderclap' Newman was a post office telephone engineer. Recently, a mobile phone network (not BT) used 'Something in the Air' for their ad soundtrack
* To avoid unwelcome fan attention, Paul McCartney booked into hotels under the pseudonym Paul Ramon. Years later, the Ramones adopted this fake surname for their band-name.
* Joey Ramone wrote "The KKK took my baby away" when the notoriously right-wing Johnny Ramone stole his girlfriend
* Simon & Garfunkel originally recorded as "Tom and Jerry"
* The name Led Zeppelin was coined by Keith Moon
* To avoid contractual obligations with Chess, Buddy Guy recorded cuts for a competitor, Delmark, as "Friendly Chap"

Edited by skankdelvar

Stuart Sutcliffe was the first bass player for The Beatles. He bought a Hofner 500/5 from Hesseys Music Store in Liverpool, using the proceeds from a painting he had just sold. He never learned to play it.

Paul McCartney took over bass duties (originally he was guitar and keyboards). He bought a Hofner violin bass partly because it was cheap (he was in Germany at the time) and partly because it was the only bass he could play left-handed without it appearing to be "upside down".

OK not so obscure,

But Tonny Iommi lost two of his fingertips when he was 17, working at a sheet metal factory

John Entwhistle played all the horn parts in The Who's "5:15"

Keith Moon hated miming, so often acted like a complete pillock when he was forced to do it on the telly (watch youtube!)

Elton John's Birth name is Reginald Kenneth Dwight

The full name of hip hop singer Akon's full name is Aliaune Damala Bouga Time Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu Badara Akon Thiam

Myself, John Deacon and Ginger Baker all share the same birthday (August 19th)

U2 were first called Feedback when they formed in 1976. They then renamed themselves to The Hype in 1977 when Dik Evans (The Edge's brother left) and then later in 1977 renamed themselves U2 which was one of the six named suggested to them that they disliked the least.

Simple Minds were originally called Johnny and the Self Abusers.

Motorhead were originally called 'Bastard'

2 members of Pink floyd were called 'Roger' - Syd's real name was Roger Keith Barrett

Dave gilmour owns strat serial number 001

Guy Pratt used to own Precision bass number 011 and Jimmy Page owns 007.

All the best guitarists and bass players are lefties playing righty :)