Why become a member? ×

Anyone know of a similar design to a Wal Bass?

Soloshchenko

There [i]is[/i] a new luthier that makes basses like Wals. I'll try to remember the link...

In the meantime if you're in no hurry you could put your name down on the waiting list for a new Wal. Don't hold your breath, though - it could be a while...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26299"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26299[/url]

How about that Warwick Jack Bruce Cream Reunion bass? Lookwise it's somewhere inbetween an EB-0 and a Wal mk I. Tonewise it leans more towards the Gibson but with that typical bright, punchy Warwick edge.

Edited by LeftyJ

I once took a natural Shergold marathon stripped off the crackled varnish then chamfered the slab body at the back and the front upper bout(?)then had Jim Egypt Guitars spray it Sparkle black and put a bad ass bridge on it. Hey presto! It looked surprisingly like a Wal - partly due to the big humbucker pickup.
I kept it til i traded it for a real Wal way back in 87. Been looking for it ever since if anyone comes across it.

BB

[quote name='rjb' post='474706' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:04 AM']There [i]is[/i] a new luthier that makes basses like Wals. I'll try to remember the link...

In the meantime if you're in no hurry you could put your name down on the waiting list for a new Wal. Don't hold your breath, though - it could be a while...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26299"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26299[/url][/quote]
There's some good news on that front... I was speaking to Paul Herman today and he says the new Wals are almost ready to go! :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='474766' date='Apr 29 2009, 03:10 AM']Looks, you'll be after an [url="http://www.enfieldguitars.com/"]Enfield[/url]

Tone, try something with the [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php"]ACG Filter pre-amp[/url][/quote]

IMO - The Wal tone comes mainly from the pickups. The electronics and woods used tailor it. The ACG pre may have some similar characteristics. Lots of good tone out there.

I always think that my Overwater Progress III Deluxe reminds me of a Wal.

Not absolutely sure why.

The ACG pre is similar to the Wal pre but I know from talking to Alan that it's not designed to copy it in any way. It operates over a considerably wider range of frequencies evidently.

Edited by GreeneKing

I have a Perception and a Wal proI but I never noticed this before but I see what you mean! Especially if u look at just the bottom half of the picture.
I have also just received a phone call telling me I have blown the chance of an '86 Wal Custom for 2K by dithering too long :)

Ho-Hum!

BB

[quote name='lozbass' post='475910' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:35 AM']I had a Pangborn Warrior that looks a lot like a Wal - I think there's a similar Pangborn Chieftain for sale at the Gallery[/quote]

I had a Wal Pro1e years ago and sold it.
Never had anything that sounded like it since.
Wonderful setup but I found it impossible to get a dirty sound with it.
Far too 'nice'. It had to go.

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='476194' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:11 PM']I had a Wal Pro1e years ago and sold it.
Never had anything that sounded like it since.
Wonderful setup but I found it impossible to get a dirty sound with it.
Far too 'nice'. It had to go.

[/quote]

Was that Maradona on guitar?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='475623' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:58 PM']There's some good news on that front... I was speaking to Paul Herman today and he says the new Wals are almost ready to go! :)[/quote]

Mmm. Just out of interest is there any info on the models he'll me making, the prices and the waiting times involved (years, I'll bet)?

[quote name='rjb' post='476635' date='May 1 2009, 07:37 AM']Mmm. Just out of interest is there any info on the models he'll me making, the prices and the waiting times involved (years, I'll bet)?[/quote]
I'm visiting his workshop tomorrow so if anyone has any questions, then post them here and I'll ask Paul what I can?

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='475011' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:05 PM']How about that Warwick Jack Bruce Cream Reunion bass? Lookwise it's somewhere inbetween an EB-0 and a Wal mk I. Tonewise it leans more towards the Gibson but with that typical bright, punchy Warwick edge.

[/quote]

Dont tell Warwickhunt, but I'd really really like one of those. If only they'd do a five string fretless version for less than the price of a house.......

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='476569' date='May 1 2009, 12:12 AM']His ego was bigger than Maradonnas.
If he didn't think of a song, he left the stage while we played it.
And he liked some complete sh*te.[/quote]

Ian!

Are you the same guy featured once upon a time in Bassist Magazine's, `My Bass Is a 12 String Hamer'!?

Nice set of basses on your page!

Nick

[quote name='JPJ' post='478017' date='May 2 2009, 11:52 PM']Dont tell Warwickhunt, but I'd really really like one of those. If only they'd do a five string fretless version for less than the price of a house.......[/quote]

Ha! you didn't think I'd spot this but I have.

Liking a Warwick Gibbo/Walesque design is the thin end of the 'wedge', when I call round to yours tomorrow I'll bring a variety of 'W' designs and we'll see if you 'crack'! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='478713' date='May 4 2009, 12:43 AM']Ha! you didn't think I'd spot this but I have.

Liking a Warwick Gibbo/Walesque design is the thin end of the 'wedge', when I call round to yours tomorrow I'll bring a variety of 'W' designs and we'll see if you 'crack'! :)[/quote]

Must resist temptation, must resist..............

Alternatively, I could strap on one of your dimunitive W basses and catch sight of myself in the mirror, that should do the trick :rolleyes:

Unless I'm mistaken the JB model looks like it has a slightly more conventional body size, so I might just get away with it. Don't tell me you have one of these as well?

[quote name='JPJ' post='478955' date='May 4 2009, 01:06 PM']Must resist temptation, must resist..............

Alternatively, I could strap on one of your dimunitive W basses and catch sight of myself in the mirror, that should do the trick :)

Unless I'm mistaken the JB model looks like it has a slightly more conventional body size, so I might just get away with it. Don't tell me you have one of these as well?[/quote]

Unfortunately no, I don't have the 'W' JB model... though I am presently the owner of 3 Jazz basses so I need to reduce that number very soon! :rolleyes:

I agree with whoever said the Wal sound was overwhelmingly due to the pickups and preamp. The woods and basic construction are commonplace in other basses and easily duplicated. The pickups and preamp are not, however.

Check this [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432803"]ongoing thread at TB[/url] for lengthy theory on the subject.