Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Enhanced 25th Firemist

Tvrtastic

My word, that looks yummy.

However...

Reviews of the enhanced series were a bit mixed. Has anyone had any experience of these in the real world. I'm looking at you stewblack...

Edited by rushbo

Well, I recently updated my NBD thread with a gig story - a 1-song gig, that is. I was not happy with the electronics in mine and replaced the lot with active EMGs. It doesn’t look like they changed anything there. Apart from that, it’s well-built and holds up well, if big and heavy. 

11 hours ago, rushbo said:

My word, that looks yummy.

However...

Reviews of the enhanced series were a bit mixed. Has anyone had any experience of these in the real world. I'm looking at you stewblack...

Yes. I have the jazz enhanced. It's natural so a bit vanilla to look at, but it's a beautiful bass to play. 

I don't know what criticism others have of it, but generally people seem to look harder for faults on HB basses than the overpriced competition.

I have a little financial chicanery to get through before I buy this one but I'll let you know. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stewblack said:

But a matching headstock, which is all that's missing from the P.

Edit: oh it's much cheaper isn't it 

I didn't notice it was a matching headstock. Just thought it was plain wood.
Still, I think it would have looked better with a similar neck to the enhanced:

bass.thumb.png.436f6007d1a07a83ace77ccdee1b951b.png

29 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I didn't notice it was a matching headstock. Just thought it was plain wood.
Still, I think it would have looked better with a similar neck to the enhanced:

bass.thumb.png.436f6007d1a07a83ace77ccdee1b951b.png

Hmmm. That one is different. Block inlays.

Edited by stewblack

My Enhanced is Lake Placid Blue, with matching headstock. I think they didn't match the headstock of the Anniversary edition so that they could show off the roasted maple, which mine doesn't have. They both have the block inlays and the zero fret, things I like.

(Why don't all guitars and basses have a zero fret? It reduces or prevents nut filing problems and tonal changes on open strings. I've heard that wear can be a problem, but even now that stainless steel frets are more common?)

Edited by bnt

I was scrolling through Facebook and thought "that's a nice Sandberg..." Then I saw this thread. And that they do them in left handed. And I want a 4 string jazz at the moment, if that's slightly "better" than the JB fretless jazz I just bought it will be a bargain at £265... 

I am annoyed at the Enhanced because I would be all over a cheap P H bass if only they were not known to be super heavy. I would even get over mixed reviews on the electronics as these can be replaced. I see this one costs £150 more than the other Enhanced. They have added a gigbag and a roasted maple neck. I am not too excited about either of them.

At £439 you are not in the "so cheap that I am shocked it's good" price range. At that price one can buy a Sire V5 or a Sterling Ray 4. I am not saying this is worse (I have not tried it), I just wish they figured out how to make lighter basses instead throwing around Gotoh tuners, zero frets and roasted maple necks for free

Edited by Paolo85

11 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

I am annoyed at the Enhanced because I would be all over a cheap P H bass if only they were not known to be super heavy. I would even get over mixed reviews on the electronics as these can be replaced. I see this one costs £150 more than the other Enhanced. They have added a gigbag and a roasted maple neck. I am not too excited about either of them.

At £439 you are not in the "so cheap that I am shocked it's good" price range. At that price one can buy a Sire V5 or a Sterling Ray 4. I am not saying this is worse (I have not tried it), I just wish they figured out how to make lighter basses instead throwing around Gotoh tuners, zero frets and roasted maple necks for free

I have HB P basses which are incredibly well priced and they're not remotely heavy.

• Like 1