Why become a member? ×

New bass guitar.

BigBoar

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a bass guitar and follow in the footsteps of my brother Rob.

What a mind field. 

I don't have a budget so to speak but don't want to buy a guitar I need to up grade if I decide bass is my thing.

I suppose rock is my thing so anything you guys can recommend?

Thanks,  

Jon Palmer.

Edited by BigBoar

Buy off the classifieds here and if you don't get on with it you can flip it with minimal loss.

It's actually really difficult to buy a bad bass nowadays so as long as you stick to a brand name you're unlikely to go wrong. 

Something like a Squier Precision or Fender Mexican Precision will always work in a rock band. 

Other names that tend to be good quality are Cort, Ibanez, Lakland, G&L and Sterling as a starting point.

Welcome to the money pit!

There’s some nice basses around now at reasonable prices and a lot more choice than there was years ago, have a look around and see what you like the look of and just ask here, most people on here will either have one or will have had one so you’ll get great advice, good luck with your search 

also welcome Jon 

Edited by Reggaebass

:crigon_04:

Your first bass should be something that makes you want to pick it up. Playability is very important, but at this stage aesthetics are going to play a huge part too. Therefore, who’s playing do you like and admire, what appeals visually? Budget will then play its part and recommendations can be made.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

I'm new to bass (and BC, too) and have found the advice and help available on the forum to be invaluable.  The advice given above is great; I bought a very nice Mexican Precision at a very reasonable price indeed from a BC member a few weeks back - bargains can be had in the classifieds section on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I started with a Squier P bass, or similar clone.  Advantages:  dead simple, cheapish, very pick-up-able.  Can't go wrong and if you want more quality down the line but like the Squier you can always upgrade the pickup, wiring and tuners at low cost. 

• Like 1

Welcome Jon. Precision or a Jazz will do what you want. Squier classic vibes are great for the money as are Harley Benton basses. I haven't owned a HB bass but they have a big following on here.

From the number for sale I would suggest bypassing the Squier affinity range. That many owners moving them on has to tell us something.

Tbh there's nowt wrong with the low price range Squiers, I scored a PJ recently (that still had the cling film on everything) and that plays and sounds great. That said it's likely worth spending a few more quid and get one of the higher spec Squiers or a mex Fender bargain from one of the folks here.. the world's your lobster as Mr Trotter would say 😁

• Like 2

Hi Jon, welcome to the site.

I have a couple of Harley Benton basses and can certainly recommend the brand for value for money. If you're not quite sure if you're going to stick with the bass, I'd suggest a HB from Thomann. If you stick with it, you can upgrade and keep the HB as a spare/back-up.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!

Any of the above will be good choices, as would any Yamaha. 

If you can get up to somewhere that has a biggish music shop then playing a few will help narrow things down a bit. Otherwise Squire, HB etc etc. are all decent enough.

Whatever you buy,  leave it out on a stand ready to pick up and play, if you can. And have fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Is your brother, Rob, our own @Bilbo?

If so, please update us on how he is. There is a post here where concerned members asked about him.

Thanks anyway.

Good spot, Mick. 

Like many, I’m interested in Bilbo’s well being.

• Like 1