Why become a member? ×

Mid-range 35"+ scale 5 strings — what's out there?

velvetkevorkian

Idly window shopping to fill the hole in my collection:

- fretted 5 string

- ideally with a 35" or longer low B

- under ~£800 new or used

What's out there? I know some Spector models are 35", MTD Kingston, Ibanez BTB (or any of the long-scale fanned fret Ibanezes), Jackson JS, Lakland Skyline (maybe pushing the budget slightly)... any obvious ones I've missed in there?

You will also need to think about Yamaha,  I prefer the TRBs but the BB range has serious following and if you go down the BB route you will have plenty of change in your budget. 

Also don't discount G&L or Spector,  you'll be pleasantly surprised what's available in your price range. 

TBH there aren't many (if any) badly built basses today so you could find something from left field that you hadn't considered. 

Edited by TheGreek

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

You will also need to think about Yamaha,  I prefer the TRBs but the BB range has serious following and if you go down the BB route you will have plenty of change in your budget. 

Also don't discount G&L or Spector,  you'll be pleasantly surprised what's available in your price range. 

TBH there aren't many (if any) badly built basses today so you could find something from left field that you hadn't considered. 

G&L are all 34", I think? I do have a Spector 6 (which is very nice, and what kicked off my 35" scale quest) although I'm not 100% sold on the body shape.  Yamaha is a good shout, the BBs leave me cold aesthetically but a TRB would be a good option (although not the TRBx range which are all 34", oddly).

6 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Yeah, 55-02, make sure you try one.

55-01 or 55-OS are more to my taste, the 55-02 pickup arrangement just looks wonky to me? 

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Don't forget to take the other factors that matter to you into account. 🙂

In my case, that would include low weight, wide string spacing, and simple controls. YMMV

A fair point, although I'm pretty unfussy in general. "Looks cool" and "won't lose too much value when reselling" are probably the other key factors...