Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard glue

john_the_bass

I know I've asked this question before, but I'm going to ask it again in case there is anything 'new' and 'improved' (how can something be new and improved....?) on the market for attaching carpet to pedal boards.

I have an NYC Gigman board, pictured below:

Attached to the carpet on the underside of the riser is the power supply and a small jack socket box that allows me to plug the guitar in at the back of the board and not have to worry about leaving gaps between fx to plug in leads and whatnot - anyway, I digress.
The carpet on the underside is lifting slightly and I need to stick it back down again. I have some UHU stuff and some Wilkinson's own brand, very similar to UHU and some superglue. I also have a stapler, nowt fancy, the sort of thing you might find on the desk of any office.

Should I use something a bit more specific or sticky? I don't know what sort of wood is used in the construction of the riser, it doesn't look like ply and it's not very heavy, so it might be some kind of compressed fibreboard - maybe.

This [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4066"]Servisol spray glue[/url] from Maplin is meant to be pretty good (seems to be out of stock though). I bought a can when I was going to make my own board but ended up buying a Pedaltrain so I've never even opened it. If you want it, gimme a fiver and I'll send it to you!

Edited by dannybuoy

Hi John,

You should use a contact adhesive. Evostick, either in a tin or spray, will do it.

You need to put a coat on the board and a coat on the carpet, then leave until touch dry, then put them together.

It never seems to work properly if you put the glue on one side and then put the two parts together.

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='474639' date='Apr 28 2009, 10:20 PM']Cheers all, I found some double sided carpet tape in a drawer in the back bedroom and tried that :)
Dunno if it'll work properly yet, but as long as it sticks down enough to take the weight of a Diago power supply, then I'm happy![/quote]

Ha! Funny you said that because that was exactly my suggestion: when the carpet of my Diago board came out (which was a few days after I got it!!!) I just put loads of double-sided tape over the wood in several directions always going through the centre (similar to the Union Jack pattern) and along the 4 edges, and some 2 years later and many pedals added and removed, still going strong!!!

Double-sided sticky tape all the way!!!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

• 1 month later...

Go to a Carpet Wholesalers... the sell carpets and carpet adhesives to the carpet trade. You will be able to buy glue sticks designed for sticking carpet to floors, perminantly.

Some places that sell workplace items and lubricants do them as well (like Arco), but will be cheaper if you find a wholesale warehouse.

Tec-Bond is the main brand, although I'm sure there are cheaper as your paying for the name here...
[url="http://www.arco.co.uk/products/4441012/15862/TEC-Bond_14_Packaging_Grade_Hotmelt_Glue_Sticks"]http://www.arco.co.uk/products/4441012/158...elt_Glue_Sticks[/url]

Edited by pantherairsoft

Staple gun!!
I bought a pedalboard a while back, and it came with some tape (brand new) That just didn't see to stick down. I put one (heavy Duty) Staple on each end, and one in the middloe, and it works like a charM! Plus, you can get them out and it doesn't leave very many marks.

Along similar lines, I recently bought a Diago board but the carpet had frayed so badly it was unusable. I stripped the carpet off and have replaced it with 50mm wide velcro but I'm unhappy with the ununiform coverage.

What carpet do you guys use to recover your boards?

Dan

E is a top bloke and has made some nice stuff and some other bits and bobs. I have a tiny little box which is basically a jack in and out which I can mount on the underside of the riser and use it to start my chain with any of the pedals and leave them in the position they are in. He's done some good clones for mates of mine and rebuilt a BYOC pedal that had been badly soldered in the first instance