Why become a member? ×

Quintin Berry

OutToPlayJazz

Surely has to be by necessity rather than choice, apart from the left wrist being at a strange and awkward angle for fretting notes, I could imagine supporting the weight of a bass on the right forearm isn't conductive to speed or longitivity either.

I don't see how anyone can say "because they didn't know better", all you need to do is look at a guitar or even a DB to see roughly how they are played, it's a completely odd style.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='474042' date='Apr 28 2009, 10:43 AM']My guess would be - because he's a show-off.

S.P.[/quote]

Does that make left hand players that play upside down show-offs ?

When this guy arrived in the early 80's, I heard a lot of English Musicians
say it was just showing off,
to me just another style and there aint nowt wrong with that.

Garry

[quote]I vaguely remember it being something to do with playing violin as a kid... although I can't see how that would make it more comfortable.[/quote]

I remember reading that as well on the Spector website. Makes sense if violin technique was all you'd known. In the same way that a lot of long term guitar players who take up bass continue with a pick rather than learn a whole new set of muscle movements.

Not saying it doesn't look odd though!

Mark