Why become a member? ×

Fender Adam Clayton ACB 50 Valve combo

matbard

18 minutes ago, krispn said:

What a bummer. I’d be getting right onto Fender U.K. and Andertons via social media too. 
I ordered some shoes and they arrived on Saturday and they literally sent two left feet and when I get them sent back I’ll be making a note to say that the person who initialled that the order was checked might need a sit down and a quick chat about how feet work! Now maybe Andertons never had it out of the box so missed trhe fault or it’s taken a hit during transit but it’s shocking that a near 2k piece of gear can be this far off the mark. 

F33CE6DD-319B-47D8-898F-A7D6BB816305.thumb.jpeg.64c5e2d37f2300bbd4132ef66551ca33.jpeg

Never knew Andertons did shoes, every day's a schooldays eh.... 

20 minutes ago, la bam said:

Could be a displaced / damaged valve. Consequence of transportation I'm afraid. If the guys moaning about the weight he's probably thrown it around, or it's been thrown around en route to you.

I've checked the valves and they are all seated ok. Nothing from Andertons.☹️

55 minutes ago, krispn said:

only left feet unfortunately 

Just think of the other poor sod with 2 right sandals! :D

Back on topic. I very much doubt Andertons will have opened the box to check the amp, I just don`t think that big box shifters do this. Unless it was out on the shop floor, you might think that they would have tested it before sending it out.

Just now, jezzaboy said:

Just think of the other poor sod with 2 right sandals! :D

Back on topic. I very much doubt Andertons will have opened the box to check the amp, I just don`t think that big box shifters do this. Unless it was out on the shop floor, you might think that they would have tested it before sending it out.

The box was sealed so no inspection had taken place. Interestingly there is a sticker saying it was made in November 2022. 

4 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If poss, I'd just find somewhere that has them on the shop floor so to speak, try one or two out, and if they're any good (with no issues) say "I'll take that one please".. 

It's not going to get busted by couriers either if you go get it yourself. 

Unfortunately no one has any stock.😟

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, spyder said:

I was so excited this morning counting down the hours and minutes before the knock on the door from DPD delivery man.

First thing I get is ' I shouldn't be delivering this as it's 32kg and the legal limit for a single person delivery is 30kg '.

Oh well at least it is here I thought.

It's hard to get good help! :D

I've had another go at the amp before boxing it back up for a return to Andertons.

I can only come to one conclusion that it is just a guitar combo marketed as a bass amp. There is no deep bass, or even mid bass to this combo. Even with the bass maxed and the treble turned off I can't get a deep usable bass sound. Tried my P and Jazz with the same results. Even at moderate volumes the cabernet rattles and the speaker farts. I really don't understand what this amp is doing.

I was so looking forward to getting a 50w combo that could be used at quiet / medium volume gigs. No one is making this.

Oh well the search goes on.

2 minutes ago, spyder said:

I've had another go at the amp before boxing it back up for a return to Andertons.

I can only come to one conclusion that it is just a guitar combo marketed as a bass amp. There is no deep bass, or even mid bass to this combo. Even with the bass maxed and the treble turned off I can't get a deep usable bass sound. Tried my P and Jazz with the same results. Even at moderate volumes the cabernet rattles and the speaker farts. I really don't understand what this amp is doing.

I was so looking forward to getting a 50w combo that could be used at quiet / medium volume gigs. No one is making this.

Oh well the search goes on.

This was kinda the point to my early post on the subject - Brad and Chad's conversation about spare boxes at Corona - the first thing that worried me about it was that it looks like a standard Fender guitar combo (OK, so do quite a few of their bass models), and I've never played a unit of those proportions that sounded even vaguely like a decent bass amp. The marketing team will always make the demo sound amazing, but in a room it's a different story 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just for interest is the speaker compartment sealed, ported or open backed?

I'm sorry that your experience was not that you'd hoped for. :(

The back is sealed. I didn't take the grill off the front but it looks and sounds sealed to me. The amp also takes up a lot of the space so the actual speaker cab part is very small. I think this is one of the problems.... It's just not big enough.

9 minutes ago, spyder said:

The back is sealed. I didn't take the grill off the front but it looks and sounds sealed to me. The amp also takes up a lot of the space so the actual speaker cab part is very small. I think this is one of the problems.... It's just not big enough.

Not the size as Barefaced will happily explain, it's the design, the build, and probably the materials. Never found a Fender cab that got anything close to the sound I want from bass, amps yes, cabs no, guitar yes, bass no

• Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 19:22, Beedster said:

.... how many more times are Fender going to use the same old box

"Got any of those same old wooden boxes we put all our guitar and bass combos in Chad?"

"There's about 10,000 out the back Brad" 

"Oh man, how we goon shift those flipers Chad?"

"We could always use 'The Fender Algorithm' Brad"

"What you mean make the same item but call it something different, or say it came from the Custom Shop (sniggers) Chad"

"Yes, but we'll use the even better and updated algorithm, make more money still if we can find a well past their best rock star to allow us to call it their Custom Shop Signature Amp Brad"

"Ah, I can see why you're Worldwide Head of Horizon Scanning and Innovation at Fender Musical Instruments Corps Chad"

Seemed worth reposting :( 

• Like 1

People on Talkbass seem to be liking the sound from theirs, but then it can be hard to tell how much is that honeymoon effect when someone just got a new thing, especially an expensive one.

I'm still very much enjoying my Ampeg PF-50T, used live with my band, so I feel like a modern 50 watt valve bass amp isn't necessarily a bad concept. If there's something up with your speaker (or a cab that's meant to be sealed isn't), you may not be hearing it to its potential right now.

1 minute ago, Beer of the Bass said:

People on Talkbass seem to be liking the sound from theirs, but then it can be hard to tell how much is that honeymoon effect when someone just got a new thing, especially an expensive one.

I'm still very much enjoying my Ampeg PF-50T, used live with my band, so I feel like a modern 50 watt valve bass amp isn't necessarily a bad concept. If there's something up with your speaker (or a cab that's meant to be sealed isn't), you may not be hearing it to its potential right now.

I really don't know. At the moment it sounds so bad I just want a refund.

7 minutes ago, spyder said:

I really don't know. At the moment it sounds so bad I just want a refund.

Clearly that particular one is $hagged, I'd certainly tell them to collect it back and get a refund, end of, and take a view whether you try another one from somewhere else.. 

• Like 1